Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Morgan Research Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 pm 

I have been researching the Morgan's of Newfoundland, and specifically the Manuels area on the south shore of Conception Bay for about 20 years. From that research I have concluded there were four Morgan brothers in Manuels during the later half of the 1800's, namely Joseph, Hezekiah, John and James. I am reasonably sure that their father was also James, c1815.No spouse has been found for James (1815) or any sisters to those listed above. There is speculation that these Morgan's, like those of Seal Cove and Indian pond, came from the Port de Grave area but I have not been able to establish a link from the Manuels Morgan's, to those of Seal Cove/Indian Pond or Port de Grave. I have an extensive collection of Morgan data from all over Newfoundland but nothing that even remotely connects to the Morgan's of Manuels. James's death in 1892 lists him as born being in England and this may very well be the case. I am willing to share Morgan information with people on the list. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Morgan Research Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 am 

Further to my last post, I just recently found what may be a link from Port De Grave, William Morgan, c1810 who may have been the William Morgan, c1810 who was one of the very first families to reside at Wild Cove, Fogo Island. If you are interested please let me know.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hello Len
My grandfather William Henry Lear of Hibbs Cove, Port de Grave married Susannah Morgan of Long Pond, Manuels on May 26 1899 in the Topsail Church. Susannah was born 1871 and in the marriage record it is given that her father was John Morgan deceased. Her mothers name was Susie. I wonder if there is a connection. Regards John

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 pm 

Hi John. Well there could very well be a connection but I haven't found it to date. It would be awesome to make a connection. I do have Wm Henry and Susannah's marriage at Topsail and it does give her father as John, but I think her mother is Patience. I have the will of Patience, wife of the late John Morgan of Long Pond. She leaves in her will clothing to her daughters Susannah Lear and Mary Ann Butler, plus land left to her son William. Although Long Pond and Manuels are so close together, I have not been able to find a thread of information that connects John Morgan to the Morgan's of Manuels. It would not surprise me if they both came from the Port de Grave area but no luck establishing a connection. Appreciate you getting back to me and interested in sharing any Morgan information. Our next trip to NL has to include a visit and some research in Port de Grave.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:50 pm 

Hi Len,

I too have been researching the Morgans for years. My mothers mother is a Morgan from Upper Gullies/Seal Cove. My fathers mother is a Morgan from Blow Me Down Port de Grave. My fathers fathers grandmother was a Morgan. As you can see I have Morgan's everywhere!

I am so deep in Morgans that it is becoming very overwhelming trying to sort them all out. My parents are distantly related as both of them have connections to Lears and Squires as well as Morgan.

My mother has a aunt Annie May Morgan, and my dad's mother has a sister Annie May Morgan, and my fathers mother's mother is Annie May Morgan who married John Parmiter.

That is the tip of the Morgan ice burg. I am more than willing to share what info I have regarding the Morgans in a common interest to sort them out!!!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Dianne Clarke Bishop

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:28 am 

Hi Diane. Sounds like a plan to try to connect the Morgan's. I think our problem with connecting the Morgan's of Port de Grave and Manuels lies in the fact of the lost church records for the mid 1840-60's in both locations. There are no birth records for my Joseph, Hezekiah, William John and James Morgan that I have been able to find. I know all four had family in the Manuels area. One small clue is that Joseph's death record indicates he was born in Port de Grave but other census records indicate otherwise. So it's really difficult to know for sure. We are now 99.9% sure that the father of the four was also James and just recently found from a newspaper death notice, that he was a resident of Bristol, England. He died in 1892 at Manuels. The first recorded Morgan in the Manuels area was a James in 1871 in one of the Directories. From baptism records at the Topsail church, the four son's on James had children baptised to them starting in 1876. I have lots of information on the descendants of James c.1815 and the four son's but have not been able to find any connection to other Morgan families of Long Pond, Seal Cove/Indian Pond, Port de Grave or elsewhere. Also have a large database of "un-related", at this time, other Morgan's who I would like to establish a connection to. Expecting DNA results shortly which may shed some light on the Morgan's and any connections with other Morgan's who have been tested.
Need to find a way to share this info.
Len

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:45 am 

So good to hear from you Len. I thought I would also send you info on George and James Morgan that I have in my tree as well.

I'm not sure how a DNA test can connect us to Morgans but I am willing to get one as well. I have always had it in the back of my mind to do one. I think it is time.

I have a George Morgan, Port de Grave 1841-1919 Married Susanna Andrews 1832-1871
had a daughter Louisa Cicely Morgan 1860-1897. She married Albert Squires and had 7 children.

Susanna Andrews grandmother on her mothers side was Mary Ann Morgan 1783-1855 from Port de Grave. She married John Butler of Port de Grave.

I have a George Morgan 1873-1891 son of William Morgan (Hopewell)and Elizabeth Ann Snow
(Kelligrews)
She is the daughter of John Snow and Patience Dawe

Also, William and Elizabeth had a son Abraham Morgan 1873-1919 who married Priscilla Lear 1872-1924, and they had a son George Morgan 1895-1984

I also have a James Morgan 1873 from North River in my family tree, father of William Morgan and Annie May Morgan.

I have a James Morgan from Seal Cove 1828-1911, son of William Morgan.
James son James from Port de Grave 1861-1932 who married Emily Ann Dowden

And another Edward James Morgan 1873- 1959 of Port de Grave, he married Emeline Warford

Ok, so this is just the James and George Morgans that I am related to. Does this help anyone at all? I hope so as I am knee deep in Morgans!
Both my grandmothers maiden name is Morgan. My paternal grandfathers grandmother was also a Morgan.

I would love any help in connecting these Morgans in my complicated family of Morgans!!!

I will send you an invite to my tree if you would like, just send me your email. Maybe it will help you out.

My email is :

dianne.clarkebishop@gmail.com

Dianne Clarke Bishop

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 am 

Thanks for that information Diane. I will have a look through my Morgan database and see if I have this info included. I do certainly recognize some of the names as having seen them before but one can never be sure with so many people with the same name.
I will send you an e-mail with my e-mail address and would like to have a look through your Morgan tree.

My roadblock is finding an ancestor for James Morgan who died in Manuels in 1892 at the age of 77 years and shown as a resident of Bristol, England. Surprisingly there are few recorded James Morgan names found in the Conception Bay area in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Many later in the mid to late 1800's but most of these can be connected to other Morgan families.

The Ancestry DNA test is what we did and should show connections to any other related Morgan's that have been tested. My sample is now in testing from the last update from Ancestry but the results may still be several weeks away.
Looking forward to any information we can share to "sort-out" the Morgan tangle. LOL.
Len

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 pm 

I have had a chance to look at the info you sent from your Morgan file. It resembles very much the "mess" I have with so many people with the same names. So difficult to make sense of the family with so much missing data. Did you get my e-mail address for getting access to your family tree?
Len

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 pm 

Len, you are on the right track even if we do not consider DNA. Here are some observations that are very relevant:

Hezekiah Morgan (your direct ancestor) married Mary Jane Squires (part of my Squires family). Her mother was Susannah Rideout. Susannah's nephew, Solomon Rideout married the second time in 1867 to Johanna Porter from Blow-Me-Down, Port de Grave.

I may have given you this some time ago but here it is again.

On Jan 5 1874, Johanna Porter's brother Absalom married Elizabeth Dowden who lived in Topsail. A witness to the marriage was YOUR Hezekiah Morgan. So we can speculate as to why Hezekiah was a witness to this Porter marriage. It could be that he had a relationship with Mary Jane Squires at that time and the Porter/Rideout relationship provided him the opportunity to be invited as a witness. Or it could be that he was related to the bride or groom as the majority of witnesses to a marriage are.

Oh yes, we forgot to mention the parents of Johanna and Absalom. They were William Porter and Ann MORGAN. Ann Morgan was the daughter of William Morgan (c.1783) who settled at Burnt Head. In a recent email to me you informed me that the William Morgan (c.1810) who might be a link for your Morgan family to Port de Grave, was a son of the aforementioned William Morgan (c1783).

As you know, I am continuing my research on the early Morgan families and I can tell you (with cautious optimism) that I have your James Morgan (assuming that his birth in England was a mistake as I'm convinced it was). Here is the hint; William Morgan (c1783) was baptized at Harbour Grace 29 May 1785 to John and Elizabeth. The big break came when I discovered that Joseph Morgan (c1790), another son of John and Elizabeth, was about 20 years older than I originally thought as he had married twice. More soon.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:27 pm 

Hi Greg.
Well that is good news. My DNA results are pointing me toward either William (1783) or William (1753) of Port de Grave. I do have 8 matches with Morgan descendants, who's family trees point in the same general direction. I have been able to verify better than 90% of what they have considering the mess of the records for the area. I knew of Ann daughter of William (1783) but was not aware of her marriage to William Porter. Looking forward to hearing more Greg.
Len

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...