Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Mary Elizabeth White
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:15 pm 

This is my husband's grandmother and considering that she only died on April 1, 1964 in Norwich Connecticut,it is amazing how little we know about her and her life in Newfoundland. I am hoping to connect with anyone-family member or friend who may be able to fill in the blanks.

What is known is that Mary was born October 28, 1891 in St. John's Newfoundland-that is what is stated in both her marriage certificate and her death certificate. Her parents are named as Charles White and Mary ( E. in her marriage certificate and Jane in other family information)Crumbie-that is how it is spelled. From her daughter's, Jeannette's biography ( she was Mary's only child, Mary had three brothers. By the time she immigrated to the US both her parents and one brother had died. The first document I can find of her immigration is October 20, 1912 on the S.S. Stephano out of St. Johns. According to her daughter's information she left Newfoundland with a friend, Nellie Engram-both with final destination-Red Hook New York-I have proof that at least Mary got there-her card from the 1917 Military Census and Inventory Census of NYstate. She lists her last place of residence as Claranville Newfoundland and nearest relative as Mrs. J. White. Nellie lists hers in Placenha, Nfld.

I found a second manifest which indicates that Mary,at some time, returned to Nfld-lived for a time with a Mrs. M. Rose of 234 Water St in St. Johns-before returning to Red Hook in 1915. By 1918 she had moved to Bridgeport, Ct where she met George Alden who she would eventually marry in Bronx New York in June 29, 1922. By the time Jeannette (1923) was born Mary still had one brother in Newfoundland and had lost touch with the second brother.

Jeannette said that the family was Presbytarian and had Scottish roots-referring to Mary's Scottish grandmother. Another family name mentioned was Purdy (or Purdee) which could have been one of Mary's grandmother's maiden names. I have an album of pictures taken at the family home which appears to be a farm-there is a story about a clever cow who use to escape from the farm at high tide over the fence and something about Charles White being a healer of some sort.

I have hired a genealogical researcher who did a few hours work to no avail. I guess I am hoping something of this story might connect with someone who may have some information which may help me in my genealogical search for this root of the family tree. Thank you.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...