Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: wiseman family
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:33 am 

Hi everyone,
My name is Sherman Wiseman. My g-g-grandfather, Jonathan Wiseman, (along with his brother Robert) came to the Greenspond,B.B. area from Trinity Bay in the mid 1850's and married Mary Anne Stone in 1856. Two of his sons, Robert and John(my family) are the ancestors of most of the Wisemans in Bonavista North today. Although we know most of our family history, there are several gaps. For example, Jonathan's brother, Robert(Amy Ivany), had at least two children, Stephen and John Adam, but as far as we know, they left no descendents in B. Bay. What happened to them? Also, Jonathan had several children beside John and Robert. for example: Samuel Thomas, Joseph Henry(Sarah Wakeley), Susannah, Emma Jane, Elizabeth and Naomi. Did Samuel Thomas marry? Did Joseph Henry and Sarah have children? What happened to the daughters? Did they marry and leave descendents? If anyone can give me any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sherman

Post subject: Re: wiseman family
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:51 am 

Hi,
I would appreciate it if we could trade info. I don't have any of the info you are asking about, but I believe I can take your WISEMAN line back further in Trinity, Trinity Bay. I have nothing on the descendants of Jonathan Wiseman or the ancestry of Mary Anne Stone, but I believe that the Jonathan you are talking about is Jonathan, born October 4, 1830 Cuckold's Cove, Trinity Bay.

This Jonathan's parents were John WISEMAN, christened April 27, 1776 Trinity, and Elizabeth CLARK, christened October 18, 1792.

John WISEMAN's parents would be John WISEMAN and Mary SPURRELL, married June 1, 1774, Trinity.

Elizabeth CLARK's parents would be Robert CLARK and Eleanor PARROTT, married November 3, 1791, Trinity.

I also have this note on Jonathan's brother Robert who married Amy IVANY. -"Robert WISEMAN, bachelor of Trinity, married Amy IVANY, spinster of English Harbour on November 22, 1853. They had a child, Sarah, born at Trinity on September 8, 1854, buried June 13, 1855."

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:12 pm 

Hi,
I really would like to swap info on the Wiseman family. I have almost all of the info you gave except the death of Robert's daughter, Sarah.
Also, i believe that the parents of John(Mary Spurdle) Wiseman were a Thomas and Sarah Wiseman. According to Sarah's death record, she was burried on Nov. 4, 1770, at the age of 61. This would leave her birth date at a. 1709. it is most likely that Thomas was about the same age. I have no proof that Thomas and Sarah wre the parents of the John who was married in 1774. I do know that a Hannah Wiseman and a John Whitten were married on Dec. 31, 1763. Hannah's parents were Thomas and Sarah. I think that with the few wiseman's around at that time that they were the parents of John as well.

At the time I did most of my research, I was only interested in finding out about Jonathan's ancestry, believing that he came directly from England. However, I soon found out that our family had been in Newfoundland for over 250 years.

Most of my research was done in the Archives, now in the Rooms and on the Grand Banks site. My research into the Trinity Bay Wiseman's was focussed on trying to find out Jonathan's ancestry and to try to find out who the first Wiseman's were. In doing this, of course, I found out info on many of the Wiseman's, but did not focus much on their wives, children, etc., because I was trying to fill in the gaps in my family's history in B.B.

There were also Wiseman's in Bonavista about this time, and I am sure there must have been a connection to ours. From the info that you gave me, I think you have as much info as I do on the Trinity Bay Wisemans. If you would like a copy of my info I could send it to you if you gave me your postal address. There is too much to send in any other way. Keep in touch.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:03 pm 

Thanks, yes I would be interested in receiving your info. Emailed you my postal address.

My connection to these WISEMANS is through CLARK, which goes back to
PARROTT and then to BAILEY. My 2nd great-grandmother was a BAILEY, so I am
an extremely distant relative.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 pm 

Hi,

I have just started looking at my family tree this year. I have a g g-grandfather Robert Wiseman who married Caroline (last name unknown) Nov. 20 1890. Attending was Emma Ann Wiseman and Eli Granter.
They had a daughter Naomi who was my grandmother.
They were from the Trinity bay area.
Would they be a part of your family tree?

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...