Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Indian/African Connections in NF
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:44 pm 

Anyone have mixed Indian blood or/and African in their NF ancestry? Family story has my grandfather's father born in Trinity had Indian blood.. His family goes back to the 1700's; Frampton, Morris, Hiscock, Pinhorn, Woodman to name a few. I have photos of my grgrandfather and some of his sisters that indicate this, or something other than English.
I have the uncommon B postive blood group, that is an Arctic/Mongolian classification.
If I needed a blood transfusion, I would need to go to the Asian or African community for the blood. Many of us relatives have slighty dropped eyelids and yellow tone to our skin.
I have done Mitochrondrial DNA testing and all of the DNA sites do not have enough Arctic or Alaska databases to track on a Autosomal test. Done all my genealogy on my father's side [Ireland] and NF side. There are some unknown females in my NF tree. I am also aware it was better to give an Indian story in the 1900's in the USA then an African American story. I live in the usa and many living relatives will not even discuss any of this.
Any ideas, suggestions, or connections in NF ?

Post subject: Re: Indian/African Connections in NF
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:32 pm 

I am interested in this topic as well. One of my great aunts, on her death bed told a 'family secret' that one of my ancestors (possibly my great great grandmother) was "black". Shortly before we heard this, a cousin had a dentist tell him that he had a type of gum disease not normally found in caucasions...but more often in black populations. Hmmm...this was looking more viable. Unfortunately I haven't found any mention of black people in Newfoundland back around the 1850's. Ha anyone else seen anything?

Another possibility I am considering is that my great great grandmother was Inuit. Since my great great grandfather came from the Cupids area of Newfoundland, I had heard mention that some Inuit women married local men...presumably because many men in this area went sealing up in Labrador. Perhaps an "inuit" woman would have been called "black" in the old days?

Sorry I couldn't be of help to your original query babs.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm 

Hi Babs,

I've just read your posts and you mentioned William Frampton, son of John Frampton & Pricilla Woodman. He's the grandson of Robert Frampton, my GGG-grandfather, and Mary Bugden. If you tell me who your great-grandfather is, perhaps I can help. As for the Morris names, I only know an Ellen Evangeline Morris born abt 1828 in Little Catalina who married Joseph Johnson, another relative of mine.

How exactly are you connected to William Frampton? I'll try to help.

Elizabeth

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:59 pm 

While searching for some ancestor info on the Westcotts, I came across this marriage: "Sep 19 1779, St. John's, John WESTCOTT, Katherine KENWICK, a Negro woman, none given. Sep 23 1779, St. John's, James HAWKINS, Thomasin SLEUMAN, none given ..." Vital Stats Volume 26E of the Anglican Cathedral in St John's. Don't know anything about this couple, whether they lived happily ever after or not, but I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 am 

Thank you so much for this information. I have Westcotts in my family tree.
Samuel Westcott b 1851, 1901 Canadian Montreal census says Nova Scotia, but 1911 says NL
Married in Carbonear 1875 = Louisa Alice Bishop b 1851 They immigrated to Montreal, 1892.
Appears Louisa had a brother Cyril Bishop who married in Carbonear as well, 1875.
They had 6 children. Hubert George Westcott b 1881 NL Married in 1909, Montreal = Caroline [Carrie] Frampton, b 1888 Montreal. I have 1 photo of Hubert, and Caroline with family.
Hubert is carmel color skin tone. Caroline's brother : Samuel J Frampton, my g grandfather is also brown skin toned. Interesting, last night I was thinking about the Westcotts and reminded myself to put their information on the message board. I have lots of information on the Westcotts after they arrived in Montreal, but I do not know who are Samuel or Louisa's parents. Are my Westcotts related to you? I've been so focused on tracking the Frampton connections, I put aside the Westcotts. Since I have not been able to connect the Frampton story, I thought the Westcotts would be impossible. And I was told there wouldn't be any documents that say Indian or Negro...This is exciting...Plus I got a new old photo of Samuel Frampton's other sister Minnie, yes there is an admixture.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am 

I am so glad that this little bit of info was helpful to you. My wife and I (I don’t know if ‘admiration’ is the right word) read some church records in stunned admiration at the simple language used, which would never pass political correctness today. I have read people referred to as ‘idiots’ for ‘mentally delayed’ etc. It was a whole different world! Anyway, I don’t think our Westcotts merge at any point. My Westcott connection comes from Thomas Seaward Westcott who came to Newfoundland from the Devon area (I believe – still hazy here) and married Sydney Angel from Petty Harbour and they had a daughter Amelia who married a Crossman and so on and so on. I wish you luck on your quest, sounds interesting and challenging at the same time. Again, glad to have been of help.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...