Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Sullivans of 49A Saratoga St. Boston
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:24 am 

I am trying to solve a mystery. When Robert O'Brien of Aquaforte sailed to the US in 1922, the ship's manifest says that his point of contact in the US was a "Frnd. (friend) W. Sullivan, 49A Saratoga St., Boston". Keep in mind that Robert was only 22 years old and had never been to the US before, so we have to assume the "friend" was likely from Newfoundland. Now the term "friend" may be used in a very broad sense in these manifests, but obviously implies they (or their families, at least) were known to each other. A search of all of the Ferryland and Fermeuse/Renews parish records failed to uncover a likely match for a W. Sullivan from that area.

Two years later, in 1924, John J. Canning of Calvert sailed to the US. He gave his point of contact in the US as "Couis. (cousin) Emma Sullivan, 49A Saratoga St. Boston" There is no indication if Emma was single or married. If married, the Sullivan surname may be misleading, so again a search of the Ferryland area records for an Emma Sullivan failed to yield a match. We know that John Canning's father was born at Ferryland, but raised by the Morrys of Calvert, however nothing is known of his biological parents. John's mother was a Swain, but I could find no connection there either.

I found the Saratoga St. address in the 1920 US Census, but it appears that the Sullivans were not living there at that time. I'm still trying to find the address in the 1930 US census. If any of this information rings any bells, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide even the smallest clue.

Post subject: Re: Sullivans of 49A Saratoga St. Boston
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:44 pm 

Mystery solved, thanks to clues that I found today in the Boston City Directories. (It's nice when you can answer your own posting). I finally located the origins of the Sullivans who lived at 49A Saratoga St. in East Boston. It turns out that William M. Sullivan was born at Ferryland about 1868, the son of John Sullivan and Kate Shannahan. He went to the US about 1885. His wife was Mary Emma Power, born at Calvert about 1885, the daughter of James Power and Ellen Walsh. She went to the US about 1903. Ellen Walsh's mother, Mary (Swain) Walsh and John Canning's mother, Mary (Swain) Canning were first cousins making John and Mary Emma second cousins.

They didn't have any children up until at least 1920 and it appears they ran a small boarding house. The 1920 US Census shows 4 or 5 lodgers staying at their home. I have some notes that indicate that they did have one daughter in late 1924 and Emma died about a month later. The daughter survived and married a John F. McCarthy about 1949.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...