Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Reverend Thomas Hickson Records
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 pm 

Hi There;
In 1824, a Methodist minister by the name of Thomas Hickson travelled to Labrador. He was given directions by the Methodist Church to review the possibility of setting up a mission on that coast. In so doing, he baptized almost 100 people. He then returned to the Carbonear, St John's and/or the Harbour Grace area. I have been searching, unsuccessfully, both here in Newfoundland and in England for these records for several years. I would really appreciate it if anyone has stumbled across these Labrador records and could share them.
Thanks in advance.
Greg Mitchell

Post subject: Re: Reverend Thomas Hickson Records
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:54 pm 

Did a quick read on line of "Methodism in Newfoundland" which mentions Rev Hickson. It says he spent several weeks in the Hamilton Inlet, (Near Goose Bay?), Labrador. Local Church Records, if not lost or destroyed may still be kept in the Goose Bay area. Most such records would also be kept in the sponsoring church, thought to be in Conception Bay, (Carbonear?), try United Church Records.

Note: "Methodism in NFLD" is available on line through Google. This account extends from late 1700's to end of 1900's

Best Regards

Robert G. Holmes
Fernie, BC

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 am 

Thanks Robert;
I and several others have exhaused records held in Conception Bay and all the stations (parishes) he attended following Hickson's return from Labrador in 1824. I have also tried records kept concerning Newfoundland Methodism in the London archives, without success. Several churches in Conception Bay and St. John's have burned since then and that is where I fear the records may have gone. I am familiar with the written literature on NL Methodism, however, I was expecting that perhaps Hickson had attended some parish and left the records at the back of a journal, or something odd like that. Thus this general posting. They may have looked like an oddity and been thrown out because they would have contained some Inuk names. Several years ago I located marriages conducted in Labrador by Hickson's colleagues, Knight and Elidge, in the St John's Catholic records, so I hope beyond hope that the records are still out there. Maybe not held in Methodist or United records.
Again - Thank you
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Have you seen Rev. Thomas Hickson's Labrador journal? It is on microfilm at the
at United Church Archives in Toronto.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:19 am 

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes - I have seen the journal and we have had a scholar/researcher match it up with the sections which were published in the Wesleyian Methodist Magazine on Hickson's travels also. I can share a pdf of that work (offline), if you are interested in the topic. However, the search goes on for the marriage and baptismal records. Someone out there must have seen them by now if they are in existence!
Again - Thank you for your response.
Cheers
Greg

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

The key is perseverance. Records are often not where you would expect them to be.
For example, I found a lot of records for Trinity circa 1750s in Boston. Why Boston?
They were purchased in auction as part of a larger collection. Rev. Hickson would
have reported back to superiors in England. I would check the Methodist Archives
in London. I located the papers of one Methodist clergyman in Arizona in the hands
of a private collector. Don't give up!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 am 

I certainly won't give up. I have searched the London Methodist Archives without any success. Maybe I should do a re-visit. These records may be found in some obscure corner of the world as you say, but 'obscure corners' are very illusive at this point.
Thanks so much for your help so far. Interesting about that Boston connection!
Cheers
Greg
Last bumped by gmitchell on Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 am.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...