Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: BENNETTs - Carbonear/Moreton's Hr
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm 

Hi there -

I've just recently started my family tree search and I"m looking for information about BENNETTs in the Carbonear and Moreton's Hr areas...

My GGgrandfather is Samuel Bennett, born in Carbonear, raised in Moreton's Hr, relocated to Corner Brook. He married Emma ANSTEY in Exploits, NL in 1895.

More specifically, I'm looking for Samuel's father, William (J. ???) BENNETT, who married Ann HEFFORD and died in Moreton's Hr in 1887. I believe William and Ann married ~1860, likely in the Carbonear area (Methodist?), but I can't find anything about their marriage or who William's parents might be. Or, for that matter, any record of Ann HEFFORD.

My grandmother's family believes Samuel of native descent, but I am beginning to believe that isn't the case.... Any info you have would be appreciated. I have found the entire search process fascinating. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: BENNETTs - Carbonear/Moreton's Hr
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 pm 

Sorry, I don't have any info on Bennett, but I have Emma Anstey b. 1877 Hart's Cove, Twillingate, daughter of John Anstey and Jane Curtis.

I am also descended from the Ansteys. My line goes back to my 4th great-grandmother Esther Anstey b. 1806 Bluff Head Cove, Twilllingate, daughter of Thomas Anstey. Esther married William Roberts and her sister Kezia married a Robert Roberts, but Robert and William are not related.

Ian Roberts

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 pm 

eggo31 wrote:
Sorry, I don't have any info on Bennett, but I have Emma Anstey b. 1877 Hart's Cove, Twillingate, daughter of John Anstey and Jane Curtis.

Ian - that's my Emma, married to Samuel. I have Samuel and Emma documented back to myself... I've lost the trail at Samuel's father, William.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 pm 

I do know that the name HEFFORD occurs in New Harbour and New Perlican, Trinity Bay. I don't know if that helps you.
Ian

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here is some of the information I am showing on this family.

William Bennett was a blacksmith at Carbonear, prior to relocating to Moretons Harbour.

William Bennett died at Moretons Harbour, age 64 years, and was buried on March 20, 1887.

Ann Hefford was born circa 1834, at Cupids, Conception Bay.

Following the death of William Bennett, Ann (Hefford) Bennett remarried to Simon Manuel.

Ann (Hefford) (Bennett) Manuel died at Moretons Harbour, on August 18, 1904.

William Bennett and Ann Hefford had several children, including Samuel Bennett, who was born at Carbonear on October 14, 1867, and baptised on October 15, 1867.

I have additional particulars on this family, but I do not have ready access to my genealogy files at this time.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Also consider this - but do your own due diligence, of course.

There was a William Bennett, who was a merchant at Carbonear during the early 1800's. He married Sarah (Squires) Pike.

William Bennett and Sarah (Squires) Pike had a son, William Edward Bennett, baptised on December 21, 1826, at Carbonear.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm 

Milt - thanks for your input. I had come up with pretty much the same thing in your previous post, and have been beginning to consider William Bennett the merchant as a candidate for my William's father... I also came across a Samuel Bennett who was married in Tilton Hr in 1819, who could be possible candidate assuming a birth year for William ~1820--I haven't gotten so far as to find out who this Samuel married, or where he ended up.

Truly, truly fascinating...

Milt wrote:
Also consider this - but do your own due diligence, of course.

There was a William Bennett, who was a merchant at Carbonear during the early 1800's. He married Sarah (Squires) Pike.

William Bennett and Sarah (Squires) Pike had a son, William Edward Bennett, baptised on December 21, 1826, at Carbonear.

Milt

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here are some additional tidbits of information for you to consider - do your own due diligence.

William Bennett, the merchant at Carbonear, could have previously been a merchant at Adams Cove, Conception Bay.

William Bennett was a widower when he married Sarah (Squire) Pike, a widow, on January 15, 1826.

There was a William Bennett of Adams Cove (merchant), who married Sarah Tuff of Western Bay, on November 20, 1818. They had a daughter, Emma Bennett, baptised on December 20, 1819. Was this the William Bennett who later married Sarah (Squire) Pike - probably.

There was a Sarah Squire, daughter of Francis and Mary Squire of Freshwater, Carbonear, baptised on September 27, 1791.

On June 19, 1811, Samuel Pike of Clowns Cove, Carbonear area, married Sarah Squire of Freshwater. They had children: William Moors Pike in 1815, and Francis Pike in 1817. Was this the Sarah (Squire) Pike who later married William Bennett - probably.

All the Best.

Milt

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...