Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Searching
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm 

I am wondering if anyone could help me find out where my GG grandfather (James Learning 1778-1859) originally came from in England. He lived in Carbonear for a short period of time before moving to Labrador. He married Mary Ann Bennett of Carbonear (1832) the daughter of James and Elizabeth (Howell) Bennett.
Thank you

Richard

Post subject: Re: Searching
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:59 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

"29 Apr 1832, at Harbour Grace, James Learning, bachelor of Carbonear, and Ann Bennett, spinster of Carbonear, witnesses: William [Best or Butt], Robert Clark, both of Carbonear."

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:02 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Cartwright, Labrador - Old Church of England Cemetery:

James Edward Learning, died 11 Jan 1889, age 81 years. (Seems he was born c.1807).
Samson Learning, his son, died 8 Nov 1859, age 11 years.
Maria Ann Learning, his daughter, died 27 Mar 1859, age 25 years.
Mary Ann Learning, his wife, died 8 Jul 1894, age 80 years.

Last edited by Milt on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Rev. George Hutchinson Census (1853 - 1867), Labrador, South Coast, Paradise:

Name - Number in Family - Religion
James Learning, 8, Ang.
George Learning, 6, Ang.
Robert Mesher, 7, Ang.
Wm. Goodenough, 4, Ang.
William Grant, 4, Ang.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

firefighter,
These are from the 1935 Labrador Census...could they be descendants?

164 179 PAGE 108
LEARNING James Head M W 59
LEARNING Stewart Son M W 35
LEARNING Louisa Daughter F S 26
LEARNING James Son M S 23
LEARNING Alfreda Daughter F S 19
LEARNING Evelyn Daughter F S 13
LEARNING Samuel Grand Son M S 6
LEARNING Sadie Grand Daughter F S 4
LEARNING Bertha Grand Daughter F S 2

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:52 pm 

I am also searching the same family for Glenn Learning of Regina Beach, SK. There is still a living relative in newfoundland named Gladys. She is married to Herb Long. She is the sister of Allan Ronald Learning who passed away from Cancer in Winnipeg, MB. This is an aunt of Glenn's. I have learned but not yet confirmed that James came over from Exeter, Devon, England. My challenge in locating them is it appears the name changed from England to Canada. Should you learn more, I would greatly appreciate the information. In the meantime I will continue looking. I have what I know online on ancestry. However, I have some documents passed down from an aunt on the other side.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:30 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

jhart514, Is this your Allan Ronald?? Just found it in the Telegram/obits

The Telegram
Extract of Obituaries For Those Who Died
Away from their Original Place of Birth

YEAR 2002
Names L - O

LEARNING, Allan Ronald - 1934 - 2002. It is with deep sadness that we announce the sudden death of Allan R. Learning at the young age of 67, on Saturday, March 16, 2002. Born in St. John`s, Newfoundland, son of the late George and Sarah Learning. Left with fond and loving memories, his wife Gale (nee Kelly); sons: Harold (Joyce) of Victoria, B.C., Peter (Kathleen) of Winnipeg, Glenn (Celeste) of Regina; and daughter Jennifer (David) of Winnipeg; grandchildren: Sarah, Rachel, Matthew, Steven, Brianna, Samantha; great-granddaughter Taylor; and last, but certainly not least, grand-dog Blazer; sisters and brothers: Gladys (Herb), Ruby (George), Florence, Rosalie, Arthur (Doris), and Robert (Ruby). Al was predeceased by brothers Harold and Frederick. Al retired from Unisys after working there for many wonderful years. He spent his spare time as past President and Treasurer of East Kildonan Lions Club and volunteering his services by taking the handicapped to the Winnipeg Blue Bomber games. He spent many hours in his workshop creating woodworking carvings for his family and friends. His other hobbies included: "Mall" walking with his daughter, golfing with his sons, grandsons and friends, and cycling. Al enjoyed listening to various musical artists. He also had his own musical talents, and especially enjoyed playing his accordion. Al always showed plenty of compassion and touched everyone he met in a positive way. Viewing is on Wednesday, March 20, from 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Service commences at 11:00 a.m. at St. Bernadette Church, 820 Cottonwood Road, Windsor Park. At the family`s request, in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Cancer Care Manitoba, 675 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Man., R3A 1R9. Arrangements entrusted to LeClaire Brothers Funeral Home, 603 Erin Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 204-775-2220.
March 19, 2002

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am 

Yes that is Glenn's father. Glenn is no longer married to Celeste but that is him. I have met and know these people fairly well. Thank you for that because we did not have a copy of this. Glenn is very pleased. I can share the small bits of information I have to date. By the way I am Janet Hart and began working on the genealogy of my family when Glenn took interest and wanted to learn more about his. So, I began tackling his family when I hit a brick wall with mine. Allan enjoyed working with a wood lathe before he passed and we have a few things he actually made. Wooden rabbits for Easter, name plates for the grandchildren, and reindeer for Xmas. Neat stuff. Anyway, Glenn was excited to know that there are others looking for his family. Anyone looking for this family can email me at jhart514@me.com. I am very open to discussion as Glenn could really benefit from learning more as both parents have now passed, both of cancer. Gale (Kelly) Learning passed 4 years ago in Winnipeg, MB. Herb and Gladys still send Glenn's girls Xmas gifts and they stay in contact by phone. This is his only connection left to his fathers family besides his brothers Peter and Harry and sister Jennifer.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Janet,
Do you have this info for Glenn?? Hope this is helpful. ..karen ..Just found it at:

ngb.chebucto.org/Cemetary/cem-forest-rd-ang-sect-f-sje.shtml

Learning, James 1862 1918 Margaret Jane
Margaret Jane 1864 1917 James
Frederick Thomas 1932 1935 thier grandson, son of George & Sarah Learning
Walter Chesley 1902 1972
Thomas Haig 1924 1944 son of Ronald & Maude Learning
John Thomas 1889 1945

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Janet & Firefighter,
The website below should be a big help to you both as it lists so many Learning's and their
various relatives: father, mother, sister, brother, ets...particularly during 1870 to 1877...hope it helps!!

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891 ... -sjc.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Janet & Richard,
I believe Milt already found the wedding info for James Learning and I just found this listed
under St. Pauls Anglican Church
Marriage Records - 1776 - 1899
Alphabetical by Groom's Name - Harbor Grace

29 Apr 1832 - James Learning
You can go to that website and look by Bride also and find his wife's name there....

I think Milt has it correct when he says it is more like 1807....you figure a lot of men married
at 22 - 25 or so, that would make his birth about that time.....I'll tell you I know from my own experience, Milt is almost always Correct!!! He is good at this...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

Yes, Milt has it right. James Edward Learning was born in 1807. Why I put down 1804 I just don't know. I was looking at the Carbonear, Harbor Grace and Labrador records and so far I found only one person with the name Learning and that is James. LEARNING James Edward Jan 11, 1859 81 years . I know now that there is a typo there. Like Milt said 1807 is correct. LEARNING Mary Ann Jul 08, 1894 80 years I just copied this from the Old Cartwright cemeteries. As much as I can see this is the only Learning that came over. I will keep looking for a brother or sister. I will check out Mary Ann Bennett's parents and William [Best or Butt], Robert Clark, both of Carbonear see if anyone along that line has any information. More work. I do appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:52 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Janet & Richard,

there are 4 william clarke's for that area....but the two most likely you are looking for are below: This was in the Carbonear / Harbor Grace area...

OOOOPPPssss... sorry looked up William instead of Robert Clark...will try again...could this be the William you are looking for?? or would he have been born even earlier?? still looking for Robert Clark

b. Feb 20 1814 Carbonear /BUTT George & Patience / son- William /M /S. Busby /
bap Nov 1 1814

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:56 am 

Does you Learning roots go back to James Edward Learning on the Learning side?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Richard,
No, I am not related in anyway to the Learning family...I am the granddaughter of William Hayward Moores of Freshwater. Also the Davis family, Kelloway's, Jeffers, and Butt.
They all married into each others families, my grandparents, grt grandparents, ggg grandparents, etc...still tracing back even further....
My Grandfather and family immigrated to Revere, Massachusetts in 1909/10....and I have never been able to get to visit Freshwater, Carbonear area or any of NFLD.....keep trying but as one gets older it gets tougher....hahahha....am 66 now and so is my husband....but who knows?
Keep searching...it is a wonderful experience!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:44 pm 

Janet

That is laughable, I thought you might have had a connection to my relatives. Yes, searching for the older generation is more changeling than I thought. You see I have only 33 years left to get this done. hahaha. I do have the Learning family tree done on paper as back as my GG grandparents and the same for my mother's side the Brown's. One more question. Where can I fine online an program which will allow me to put it in my computer so I can save it to a disk? Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:18 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Richard, I think there is some confusion....which is understandable with all of us writing here and going back and forth.....below is Janet's first posting of this search....She is the one who thinks there is a connection between you and her.....
I am karendavis65, who has been trying to help both of you find your Learning family...
You see, Milt is the first one who helped me find my family ancestors, and others have helped too...so ever since then, I have been trying to help others on this site find their families too....It has been such an interesting journey and since I am enjoying finding out so much about our family, I know others will have the same enjoyment.....
But why is it you say you have only 33 years...you're being funny right?? hahaha
As for the online program...hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm....well not sure there....I usually just copy and paste the info I find or others find for me into a word doc....I had started on Ancestry to try to do it, but they want you to pay so much and I am on SS....so cannot do it like that...so I just save it all into my word doc....I have quite a lot of information...I have even found two cousins on the Kelloway side of the family that I didn't know I had....we found out we have the same GG Grandmother's in that her GG Grandmother is My Great Grandmother's sister...how about that?? coool huh?? So keep searching and I am sure Janet has been enjoying all this too....she is probably laughing at these two posts!! karendavis65

jhart514 wrote:
I am also searching the same family for Glenn Learning of Regina Beach, SK. There is still a living relative in newfoundland named Gladys. She is married to Herb Long. She is the sister of Allan Ronald Learning who passed away from Cancer in Winnipeg, MB. This is an aunt of Glenn's. I have learned but not yet confirmed that James came over from Exeter, Devon, England. My challenge in locating them is it appears the name changed from England to Canada. Should you learn more, I would greatly appreciate the information. In the meantime I will continue looking. I have what I know online on ancestry. However, I have some documents passed down from an aunt on the other side.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Richard,
I think I just got the 33 year thing....you are 33 right?? so since I am 66 you only have 33 more years to get this done huh??? hahhahaa am I right??? Karen

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:20 pm 

Thanks so much for that web site. I found so much information. I also went in my heritage, spent the money and got some pictures of Absolom, Samuel Learning, and others. When I have this put together I will share. I absolutely love this. I hit a brick wall with the Harts back in 1784 in Ireland. Anyway, I did find some learnings in England but still unsuccessful on James birth. Does anyone know if James had a brother in Newfoundland, because there seems to be a second family there. There are children of James, I found them, but then there are extras in the same generation? Some of Learnings a resting in the Church of
England Anglican Cemetery. There is an Arthur Learning who passed away in the veterans hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia. he served as a gunner in WWII. I learned that James as a carpenter in Newfoundland and his son Samuel was a fisherman. His son Samuel was a debt collector. So much information can be found. By the way yes I did find the marriage thanksgiving I the grandforks website.

If Karen has 33 years I better hustle because I have 12 less years than that. Lol.

Karen I understand your enthusiasm. I have a friend here that we spend a lot of our extra times on geneology. I was able to trace my grandmothers side back to 1532 with the assistance of others searching the family and relatives I am in contact with in Norway. It is such an adventure.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:22 pm 

Okay this autocorrect has got to go. Hope you understood the previous message.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Janet,
So glad to hear the website has helped you.....this is the best place I ever found....I also
go to Freshwater A place called Home....it has a lot of info too and it is free.....that is where I first found out my family name was really Moores....thanks to my Uncle Fred Moore(s)...as I said before my grandfather dropped the S when he came to states....
It is a wonderful experience and I have found out so much about our family and who we are
related to.....even found a distant Cousin or two already!!! Cool!
Also found where my Epilepsy comes from....we never could find it on my Mom's side, but did
find it on my Dad's side of the family, through the Kelloway side.....Kelloway's actually married into both my Grandfather and Grandmother Moores (Davis) side. And at least three of them died from Epileptic seizures.....my doc said this type of epilepsy was passed down...My Dad gave it to me, and I to my late son......(he though did not die from Epilepsy....) That was because of a drunk driver. Our son would have been so interested in all this...he loved this kind of stuff!!
Well you two certainly have time to search!! hahahaha ...you're still pretty young yourself!
Glad to have been able to help even a little!! Keep searching!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:55 pm 

This message for RICHARD who asked about a program to save his Family Tree. There is a site called Geni.com where you can create your tree. Basic membership is free, there is another advanced version that charges a monthly fee. I use the basic version to enter my data once I'm really sure about it. It's also good in that you can invite family members to join and contribute to the tree. Everyone you invite and has given their email address gets updates about new info added as well as birthday and anniversary reminders. I no longer have to remind my kids about the birthdays of aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. Although I haven't tried, I think you can print or copy your info. Happy hunting Eileen Penney/Kelloway/White/Peckham

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...