Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Mary Ann Anthony
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:07 pm 

Mary Ann Anthony, born Apr. 18,1876, died in Labrador, married a John Charles Davis. I am trying to find who were her parents. Family history says she came from around Cupids/Bay Roberts area, Newfoundland. She was a illegimate child. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Mary Ann Anthony
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:59 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Loslady4,
Could this be the family you are talking about? Still looking for more info. This is from the Census below for Labrador in 1935.

1935 CENSUS
HAWKES HARBOUR to OTTER'S BROOK
LABRADOR DISTRICT

CAPE NORTH & LUDY'S BROOK - PAGE 97
243 268
DAVIS John Charles Head M M 60
DAVIS Mary Ann Wife F M 56
DAVIS Frank Son M S 33
DAVIS John Son M S 27
DAVIS Robert Son M S 16

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:23 am 

lostlady4 wrote:
Mary Ann Anthony, born Apr. 18,1876, died in Labrador, married a John Charles Davis. I am trying to find who were her parents. Family history says she came from around Cupids/Bay Roberts area, Newfoundland. She was a illegitimate child. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There were many illegitimate births and many with same names but you may get some sense out of this:
Check out the Baptisms (very confusing as it is!) of Elizabeth, Mary, Margaret, Eliza, John Anthony listed with "Parents" Abraham Anthony and Frances(Fannie), the widow Aspell. These children could have been "adopted" by Abraham when he married this Widow Aspell who was probably pregnant when her Aspell husband drowned and was never found. She gave birth one month after she married Abraham. You will find this by searching Abraham Anthony on this site.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi

While researching I happened on this posting re Abraham Anthony and Frances (?????) Aspell. I noted that you figured that Frances (the widow) Aspell's first husband had drowned and was never found. Do you have other details? My mother, told me about the person she referred to as Aunt Fannie Anthony but she didn't really know how she fitted into her maternal grandmother's family. My great-grandmother was Bridget Aspell and she was born in Harbour Grace abt. 1852. Several members of the Aspell family moved to the Cape Broyle/ Brigus South area in the 1860s and settled in that area.

Now the Anthony children mentioned were all off-spring of Frances and Abraham, except for the first child, if the story of her husbands loss at sea is valid. There doesn't seem to have been any other children from Fannie's first marriage. Frances was Roman Catholic and Abraham was likely Church of England since they married at St. Mary's Anglican Church on the south side of St. John's. All of the children were initially baptised Anglican but they were also baptised in the Roman Catholic Church later - possibly secretly?? In all of the marriage and baptism records, her maiden name never surfaces. Usually the Roman Catholic clergy recorded the mother's maiden name in their baptism registers, regardless of the number of time she was previously married.

It would appear likely that Frances (born abt 1846) was the sister-in-law of my maternal great-grandmother Bridget (Aspell) O'Brien. If so, then Frances' first husband would be Bridget's brother, but no one has come up with his name or any reference to his demise.

I would appreciate any references that you may have.

Regards
Kevin

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...