Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: John Hopkins Bartlett (nephew of Capt. R. Bartlett)
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:27 pm 

I am from Ontario and I am trying to find information on John Hopkins Bartlett born around 1889 in Brigus NF. I work the Cdn. Coast Guard and my Radio Station (VBA) will be celebrating it's 100th birthday next year (2010). The local Ham/Amatuer Radio Club is planning a year of celbration around this.The first station manager for the Marconi station (before it was annexed by the Government) was John Hopkins Bartlett. According to his 1915 Marriage Certificate he was 26 on Feb. 3rd, 1915. From somewhere, the club has found an obit. for Capt. Bob Bartlett that mentions his newphew John in Ontario. John left Newfoundland as a wireless operator on Oct. 21, 1909 on the SS Bruce (Port Aux Basques to N. Sydney).

I was wondering a few things. Does anyone have information on John H. Bartlett especially Birthdate, siblings etc. Also, I would like to confirm that John is the nephew of Capt. Bob Bartlett. The second thing is a question "Are all the Bartlett men, until John, seafarers?" John's father (on the marriage certificate) is Moses Bartlett. I have found some information on him re. the SS Sagona and being quoted in the 1909 New York Times.

In case you are keeping track of 'lost' sons and daughters ... JOHN Hopkins Bartlett married Sara ETHEL Mitchell in Port Arthur on February 3, 1915.
Appears on the microfilm roll MS932-352 (Ontario Canada Marriages 1857-1924).
No births have been found on line but we are planning on going through the newspaper and going to the Church (was Methodist, now United) to see if they have any further information about children and deaths.
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: John Hopkins Bartlett (nephew of Capt. R. Bartlett)
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 pm 

John Hopkins Bartlett is not the nephew of Captain Bob A. Bartlett. It apears he is a cousin. Sorry for the confusion. According to http://www.ernestina.org/history/Bartle ... tlett.html John H. Bartlett was a cousin of some kind. Does anyone know if 1) there is a Maritime Museum in St. John's (yeah may sound stupid, but I'm not assuming anything anymore!) and 2) would they have information on the seafaring Bartletts as a clan and how they all inter-relate.

Thank you once again

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 am 

Try this site . Maybe it might help.It is The Maritime History Archive.

http://www.mun.ca/mha/index.php

Macduder

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 pm 

Thanks Macduder! It was very helpful. I now have a list of Bartlett Captains for Newfoundland registered vessels 1820-1890. Which is great, but this clan seems to have a fascination with everyone having the same names. In one of the short biographies of Capt. R.A. (Bob) Bartlett it listed some of his ancestors and I did up a quick descendant chart (in word! oy! I don't own any tree making programs and I was at work.) Plus my co-worker, who I'm doing this research for, wouldn't shut up about how Captain Bob and our John Hopkins Bartlett were related. So I made up a chart with ALL the possiblities of where our JHB could be on the tree. We have since found some more information on the web and through this site. I also found some info on the Brigus website about their walking tours which led me to another site that had info on Bartlett/Burke House (NOT Hawthorne Cottage). Which mentioned it was the home of one of the Abram's who left it to his son John, who left it to his son Moses. I have also obtained some information the the House of Assemby Library. Very helpful as in the Bartlett House info it mentions that both John and Moses were Members of the House. My next step, on advice from the Librarian at the House, is to try and contact the Provincial Archives directly.
I understand that MUN would do all the research for me. But since I don't know how long it would take them, I find the $40.00/hr a bit much as I am doing this out of the "goodness of my heart" and sanity as my co-worker is only quiet when I am looking up information for him on the web.
Thanks once again Macduder. And if anyone else has any ideas of where I should look or who I should contact please let me know.

charmaine

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:38 am 

I have had records searched on my Bartlett family connection through the Anglican Church Archives. I was very pleased with their services for the fee I paid. Julia Mathieson, the archivist is extremely helpful and conducted a manual search of the records on my behalf. She found more than one record for me and was searching more than one year. The only thing you need to be aware of is that she only works two mornings a week. I had all my information in under a month and it involved 9 record searches. If I see anything on John Hopkins Bartlett while I am surfing around I will let you know.

Anglican Church of Canada - Diocesan Synod of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador Archives

ARCHIVES
Mrs. Julia Mathieson
Synod Office
open Tuesday and Friday mornings only
Telephone: 709-576-6697

Nancy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:48 pm 

I have John Hopkins Bartlett in my records as my second cousin twice removed. His parents are Moses Bartlett from Brigus and Louisa Hopkins Bartlett from Heart’s Content who were married in Heart’s Content on 10 February 1886. I have Moses Bartlett’s father as John Bartlett JP
John Hopkins Bartlett’s maternal grandfather is Joseph Hopkins (1816-1888) a well known Heart’s Content Merchant and Shipbuilder. His mother Louisa was a cousin of Aseneath Hopkins Stentaford, who was married to the Superintendent of the Heart’s Content Cable Station, Samuel Seymour Stentaford born in Brigus in 1853 and died in Heart’s Content in 1923. It is highly likely that Seymour Stentaford played a role in John Hopkins Bartlett early career.
Robert M Hopkins

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...