Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: How are the Power families of Corner Brook tied to the Mi'km
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 pm 

My grandmother Mary Josephine Power Marks born around 1889 could not prove her parentage or birth date. She was the daughter of Pierce Pureim Power and Julianne George and sister to Annie Power Gushue, Margaret Power, Patrick Power, Redmond R Power, Thomas Power, Pierce Power and Martin Power. Grandmother’s grandparents were Redmond Power and Ann Doulin/Dooling It is said through Family conversation that the Power side of my lineage has Mi’kmaq heritage and I was hoping someone could fill me in on where in the ancestry the Mi’kmaq are located
Thanks in advance
Mary Park Russell
uk.russells@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: How are the Power families of Corner Brook tied to the M
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:22 am 

Hello Mary,

I am distantly related to Redmond Power. Redmond and Ann (correct name is Anastasia or Ann Dooling), both "of St. John's", were married at the St. John's, Newfoundland Roman Catholic Basilica on May 11, 1839. Redmond was probably born as Edmond, on 3/30/1819 in St. John's, to Michael Power and Elizabeth Doyle. I can't find their marriage in St. John's, but it's likely whether they married there or not that they were new immigrants from Ireland. If my hypothesis about how I am related to Redmond is true, then this Power family came from the area of Kilmacthomas, County Waterford.

I looked on Julie Ann's side to see what I could find there. She was born in Crocker's Cove, near Carbonear on 9/4/1854 to William George and Mary Ann Clarke. She was not Catholic like her husband, so perhaps Mary Josephine was baptized in a Protestant church? William and Mary Ann were married in the Methodist church in Carbonear in 1853.

It's interesting that you specify the First Nations tribe as "Mi'kmaq" because that tribe was NOT indigenous to Newfoundland. The indigenous tribe of Newfoundland was the Beothuk. Mi'kmaq primarily inhabited other places in Atlantic Canada like Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, the Gaspe Peninsula, and eastern New Brunswick. So if you can trace any of your ancestors back to any of those places, you might have a better shot at finding your family's Mi'kmaq connection. Or you could have your DNA tested and look for Amerindian genetic markers. Good luck!

Clare Powers O'Neill

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 am 

Thanks for getting back to me. My grandmother was baptized in a Catholic church. What family notes I have on Redmond are not verified. Redmond born abound 1820 Riverhead, St. John's married Ann Doulin/Doolin/Dooling about 1840. She was born abt 1820 in Waterford, Ireland. and died Jan 23 1893 in Corner Brook. On my next visit to Newfoundland I will try to talk to some of my distant Power cousins to see if they can shed some light on the family tree. Not sure when that will be but if I can find any new info I will let you know.

Mary

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 am 

Hi Mary,

My cousin who is also a descendant of Redmond and Anastasia believes that this is Redmond's baptism entry in the register of the Basilica in St. John's: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1939435 .

However, if you have reason to believe that he was born in Riverhead, I have his birth recorded. I have two lines of Power in my ancestry one from St. John's and one from Harbour Grace. I was in Newfoundland last August and went to The Rooms because the Harbour Grace RC records are not on-line. I pulled the registers and recorded, by hand, EVERY birth to a male or female Power from 1806-1828 (I needed to get to 1842 and ran out of time). I copied this record that might be Redmond:

July 17, 1821 Edmond of Patrick Power and Bridget Ryan (witnesses were illegible).

Where did you obtain the death date for Anastasia? My cousin has been searching everywhere for her death record and that of Redmond with no luck.

If you'd like to email me directly, my email is clareoneill25@gmail.com .

Clare

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:04 am 

Hello Mary and Clare. Clare alerted me to this post. Pierce Power to whom you refer is my great-great uncle and your grandmother Mary Josephine is my 1st cousin twice removed. Mary was born in Corner Brook in 1892, married Hedley Marks in 1914 and she died in 1969. She is buried in the RC part of the cemetery on Montgomerie Street in Corner Brook. But i expect you know all this anyway.
As you stated Pierce's parents are Redmond Power and Anastasia Dooling. They were married in St. John's on May 11, 1839. In the marriage register it does not say where Redmond was from but it does note that Anasatasia was of this Parish (RC Basilica). From later birth records of Anastasia's children her surname is spelled Doolin.
Redmond Power seems to disappear from the records after the early 1870s and at about the same time his children show up in the Corner Brook area. His boat the HERO is known to have been lost at see also in the early 1870s so it is possible he was lost at sea as well and that is why there my be be no death or burial records.
As to what happened to Anastasia (Dooling) Power I'm not sure. You reference a source as saying she passed away in 1893. Would certainly like to see that record. Another person has suggested a Ann Dooley who dies in Chateau, Corner Brook in 1898 may also be our Anastasia.
As to Redmond and Anastasia's origins, for me at least it remains a mystery. Clare has offered some possibilities worth checking out. I have also had a Power DNA match from Ireland with a link to Killmacthomas, County Waterford.
Regarding a Mi'kmaq link. I am not aware of one with Pierce and Julie Ann George. Pierce's brother Redmond (son of Redmond) married a girls from St. Georges with possible aboriginal links. I know nothing of the Marks links. Hope this might be of some help
All the best
Joe Brazil

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 am 

River Head also refers to a part of St. John's as identified in the 1794 census. I think it is that part of St. John's where the now Waterford River flows into. In the early 1860s, Redmond Power lived on Flowers Hill which was not far from the River Head area. There is also a Riverhead, Harbour Grace (I think this is what clare refers to) and a Riverhead, St. Marys Bay. And I suspect many more.
Joe

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:12 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

A Certificate of Death issued by the State of Massachusetts confirms the death of Bridget Walsh, the widowed wife of James Walsh, on November 18, 1912. The address of Bridget Walsh at the time of death was 30 Concord Street, Charlestown, Boston, Massachusetts.

According to information entered on the certificate, Bridget Walsh was born at St. John's, Newfoundland. Her parents names were entered as Redmond Powers, born at St. John's, Newfoundland, and Anna Doolin, born in Ireland.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:20 pm 

Death records should not be relied upon as citations for date or place of birth - they can be used as hints, but shouldn't be used as primary sources for information - they are too many years and memories removed from the actual event. When Newfoundland marriage records, after the bride or groom's name, say "of this parish" as it does in the case of Ann Dooling at her marriage to Redmond, it generally means the person was born in that parish, not in Ireland.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:09 am 

Hi Everyone,
I have a little information which may help to give a few clues on this inquiry. On December 18th, 1875, Benjamin Brake shot and killed John Carter at Brake's house in Humbermouth, Newfoundland, in present day Corner Brook. In June the following spring, Captain Hamilton of HMS Zephyr, Justice of the Peace, took witness statements under oath from Redmond Power (sr), Redmond Power (jr) and Pierce Power, who were next door neighbours of Benjamin Brake and were present very shortly following this shooting incident. The Powers were the first on the scene of what became a crime for which Ben Brake served one year in HM Penitentiary in St John's for manslaughter.

The statements and various letters from Hamilton give a few clues about the family's situation and history. Redmond Power did own a boat with a crew who apparently had connections to fishing at Chateau Bay in Labrador. It can also be gleaned that Redmond (sr) was the father of Redmond (jr) and Pierce. There could be other information in these letters which may give further clues to researchers already familiar with the family. The letters and statements are held in the GN-1 records at The Rooms, St John's, but I have digitized them and can provide to anyone interested. My E mail address is gemitch@xplornet.ca.
I should also inform you that the surname Gushue seems to be connected, at least phonetically and otherwise, to the Miq'Maw surname of Googoo, widespread in Newfoundland records and the records at St. Pierre/Miquelon
This is also an hello to Joe Brazil, if it's the same one I know!!!
Cheers
Greg Mitchell

Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:01 pm 

Nice bit of research, Greg Mitchell!!

And if you mean Joe Brazil, photographer extraordinaire, you've got the right one!

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...