Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Johnson's and Possible Mi'kmaq ancestry Fortune Bay, Burin
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the wife of a Richard Johnson of St. Bernard's (Earlier Fox Cove). He was listed as a widower in 1921 for the Census. with 5 of 7 known children. Kyran, Matthew, Richard, Cyril, Mary. The two other children were Elizabeth (Who had moved out by then and living with her husband John W. Hynes) and Felix (Who had also moved out by then and living with his wife Blanche). Richard Johnson's wife was said to be Micmac. She would have died between her last birth 1906 (Mary) and the Census 1921. I have hit a Brick Wall in this part of my family tree, If anyone could help me please post. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Johnson's and Possible Mi'kmaq ancestry Fortune Bay, Bur
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am 

Hello Devon

Try the Mi'kmaq Resource Centre - here's one link: http:// mrc.cbu.ca/nfldcouncils.html (don't use 'www'; if you do, it won't come up).

There is a top link to Census data, but it's for NS (?).

Under the top link 'Mi'kmaq First Nations', it lists the bands councils by province and one state. For Newfoundland there is a mailing address and web site link. Perhaps contact them to find out if they have any census info or where else you might look.

Good luck with your search.
J

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am 

You can try the death registers that LDS has on-line. It takes a while to get used to the index. But you can also browse the registers themselves easily enough. I looked at the St.Bernards cemetery listing in StonePics and theres a Katie Johnson died in 1914.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... 790939&w=0

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm 

Thanks for the help, I really appreicate it. The Katie Johnson that died in 1915 in St. Bernards was 15 years old, so she would not be the wife of Richard, maybe another daughter? Any extra info, please post. Thanks Again

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 am 

Hello,

To my knowledge Richard's wife was Margaret Pine and she died 20 Dec 1902 after the death of her son Cyril. To my knowledge she was not Micmac/Mi'kmaq. She was my great-grandaunt. What is your connection to the Richard Johnson family?

Aileen

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 am 

Correction: Sorry, I meant "birth" of her son, Cyril - not death.

Aileen

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm 

Richard Johnson and (Margaret?) Are my Great Great Grandparents. My Grandmother had said she was a Mi'kmaq Indian, and that she died young, but she didn't talk about her very much most likely because her mother Elizabeth didn't talk to her about her mother. As Elizabeth would have only been 14? when her mother died (by your records). If you saw a picture of myGreat Grandmother Elizabeth you would instantly realize that she was aMi'kmaq, her mother might not be mikmaq but she has some family connection to the Mi'kmaq people. I would love to see anything that you have on them, I really know nothing about them... I have a picture of Elizabeth (Richard's daughter) if you would like to see too. Hoping to talk more!

Email Me!

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...