Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Richards family
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm 

My grandfather was Stanley Emanual Richards born on 26 Sept 1892 in Channel-Port aux Basque, Newfoundland. His parents were John Richards and Rebecca Edmonds or Edmunds. At some time before 1914 he moved to North Sydney, NS. I am trying to find records of his parnets, siblings, etc. I would be most grateful to any information that I could continue to explore.

Post subject: Re: Richards family
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:17 am 

Hello

It is quite likely that your Grandfather did not go to North Sydney in order to actually live there.

North Sydney was the arrival port for vessels whose departure port was Port aux Basque. There seem to be quite a few Richards on the Island but, sadly, your Grandpa doesn't seem to be among the people with easily available records.

I checked
- Ancestry's Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 ... where the connection between arrive/depart ports and the two locations quickly became apparent.
- Ancestry's Nova Scotia 1911 Census database
- Nova Scotia [public] Historical Vital Statistics database. Here is the web site, in case you don't already have it: http:// http://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/Start.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Did passenger list 'cause I was curious (nosy?). I was searching the other two anyway, re my Great-Uncle, so it only took a few more minutes to check yours too - without success, even varying the search terms (e.g. "S" only, and "E" then "Emanual" as first name + different date ranges).

By the way ... my Great-Uncle is Edward Richards. I found out about him only last night when chatting with my Mom about her past! It's unlikely he's related to your Grandpa, but sure would be an interesting coincidence if turns out they were. ;)

Cheers
Judith

Post subject: Re: Richards family
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:56 pm 

Thank you for that information Judith. I will keep searching. If I find and Edward I will let you know.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...