Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Elias Pearce
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm 

Elias Pearce b.21 Nov.1798 Fogo d.14 Jul 1874 Exploits Island. Son of Andrew and Hannah.
Did he marry? Can't find anything on him. I'm thinking he may have had an accident or was born with a disability. In his fathers will it states (Thirdly that they shall pay to my son Andrew Pearce yearly or to his executors or administrators for the maintenance of my son Elias Pearce the interest of four hundred pound during the term of Elias's natural life). Have anyone come across anything about this Elias Pearce.

Macduder

Post subject: Re: Elias Pearce
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

During the 1820's and 1830's, Elias Pearce, son of Andrew Pearce and Hannah Akerman, was an accountant at Twillingate with the firm 'Messrs. Colbourne and Son' of Sturminster Newton and Poole, Dorset, with mercantile establishments at Twillingate, and other places in Newfoundland. The Colbourne firm went bankrupt in June, 1834.

I have a comprehensive catalogue of information on the Colbournes and Pearces. It appears Elias Pearce did not marry.

Yes, the content of Andrew Pearce's Will, prepared in 1840, seems to suggest his son, Elias Pearce, required some kind of special care and attention.

Post subject: Re: Elias Pearce
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

The Slade and Kelson diaries contain a day to day account of the business firm's daily activities at Trinity as well as general information on the state of the fishery, shipping, weather and the comings and goings of the various vessels and people. The diaries were kept by William Kelson, the manager for the company at Trinity from 1809-1851.

The following entry was made in the Slade and Kelson diaries at Trinity, dated Monday November 15, 1830: "Very moderate wind from the N.E. nearly calm latter part of the morning, then veering in the afternoon to South & S.S.W. still moderate, overcast in the morning, tolerable fine in the afternoon. John Adey in his fishing skiff from Catalina with a load of Dry fish last night... Hawk, Newman; from Catalina this night...Shipping oil &c on the Telemachus...Messrs Garlands Schooner Greenspond sailed for Greenspond...and Mr. Colbourne's Schooner sailed for Twillingate, Mr. Elias Pearce passenger....".

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...