Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Parnell of Exploits Island
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:35 pm 

Parnell of St. John's about 1880 to 1920. Father- William J. R. Parnell, mother. Grace Windsor Parnell, children. Jack, Wiliam, Tom, Mary, Phylis, Grace.
Any info, esp about Jack most appreciated Know he went to France in WW1 but where did he travel after that?

Post subject: Re: Parnell of Exploits Island
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Grace Dalton WINSOR, d/o Thomas Avery Winsor & Louisa MENCHENTON, born Sep 21 1858 St. Johns, baptised Nov 21 1858. (Grace Dalton Winsor married Aug 19 1880 Exploits Burnt Island to William J.R. Parnell of St Johns.)

Twillingate Sun Newspaper, May 2, 1911, Advertisement: "Motorboat, 26 ft by 6 ft, 6 in, 8 h.p. Rochester Engine, speed 8 Miles. All ready to Start. Good sea boat. Apply to J. PARNELL, Exploits Hr."

Jan 25, 1916 - Saw Mills – Licenses issued: District of Twillingate - Jack Parnell, Exploits Harbor.

Twillingate Sun Newspaper, February 24, 1917: "Jack PARNELL of Exploits, well known by many people here, is now serving in the R. N. Reserve and is on board H.M.C.S. Columbella. He tried three times for the Navy and underwent an operation. When last heard from on Jan. 11th, he was well."

Twillingate Sun Newspaper, July 28, 1917: "Photo of: Naval Reservist Jack PARNELL and Don MANUEL, son of late Jabez MANUEL, both of Exploits. Jack has been serving in the Auxilary fleet and Don is with the Canadians in France since last August, having passed through several 'scraps' safely."

Twillingate Sun Newspaper, October 25, 1919, Notes From Exploits: "Oct. 15th, 1919, Mr. Jack PARNELL has left Exploits and will take up his home in Alberta."

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Maybe some of this will be of benefit to you. Kindly do your own due diligence, of course.

John "Jack" Parnell was the son of William John Reynolds Parnell and Grace Dalton Winsor.

Grace Dalton Winsor was the daughter of Thomas Avery Winsor and Louisa Menchinton.

Louisa Menchinton was the daughter of William Menchinton and Grace Dalton.

William John Reynolds Parnell was the son of John Keddell Parnell and Elizabeth Foote.

"Marriage - August 19, 1880, William J. R. PARNELL, St. John's, overlooker, age 31 (father, John. K. deceased) and Grace D. WINSOR, St. John's, age 21 (father Thomas A., merchant), in the Church of All Saints, Exploits Burnt Island, by Henry C. H. Johnson, in the presence of Will Winsor and Jane Parnell."

"ANGLICAN CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHNS THE BAPTIST, St Johns
MARRIAGES: Apr 20 1846, St. Johns - John Keddell PARNELL, bachelor, St Johns, & Elizabeth FOOT, spinster, St Johns, Wits: Patience Barnard, Robert Alexander."

Some of the children assigned to John Keddell Parnell and Elizabeth Foote:

Paul Theodore PARNELL, s/o John Riddell (prev Keddell) & Elizabeth, b.Mar 26 1860, St. Johns, bap.Dec 12 1861, salesman.

Jane PARNELL, d/o John R. & Elizabeth, b.Jan 27 1863, St. Johns, bap.Jan 30 1863, salesman.

Philippina PARNELL, d/o John R. & Elizabeth, b.Jan 27 1863, St. Johns, bap.Jan 30 1863, salesman.

Alfred Ridell PARNELL, s/o John Ridell & Elizabeth, b.Mar 17 1865, St. Johns, bap.Sep 3 1865, draper.

Edward George PARNELL, s/o John Kettle & Elizabeth, b.June 13 1867, St. Johns, Nov 3 1867, salesman.

William John Reynolds PARNELL, s/o John & Elizabeth, b.Dec 23 1848, St. Johns, bap.Oct 14 1849, shopman.

George Henry PARNELL, s/o John Keddell & Elizabeth (FOOTE), b.June 4 1851, St. Johns, bap.June 5 1851,shopman. (Married 1846; his surname was corrected from Barnell by another hand; as well in these entries his middle name was written as Heddell but this is incorrect.)

Elizabeth Emma PARNELL, d/o John Keddell & Elizabeth (FOOTE), b.June 4 1851, St. Johns, bap.June 5 1851, shopman.

Henry George PARNELL, s/o John & n/g (Elizabeth added in another hand) (FOOTE), b.June 19 1853, St. Johns, bap.June 26 1853, shopman. Married 1846.

George Albert PARNELL, s/o John & Elizabeth (FOOTE), b.Mar 26 1855, St. Johns, bap.June 11 1855, shopman, St Barnabas Day. Married 1846.

"Will of John K. Parnell from Newfoundland will books, volume 3, page 130, probate year 1870.
In re: John K. Parnell deceased.
St. John’s, January 20th. 1869. Know all men by the grace of God that I John K. Parnell of St. John’s Newfoundland do hereby make this my last will and testament in behalf of my wife Elizabeth Parnell and five children that should anything hapen to me when away from St. John’s that I should not be able to return that the whole of my life insurencel, 500 sterling all come to them and after the payment of 150£ cy paid to H. W. Hoyles the house and grown that I now occupy that is theirs also this is my last and the other two that I have made is of no use whatever but are boath void as I am now about to leave here for England by the S. Ship North America and I do this in case of an accident in the preasents of my God in Bowring Brothers wareroom and alone at twelve o’clock A.M. Janry 20th 1869, John K. Parnell.
Certified correct,
D. M. Browning
Registrar"

1890 DIRECTORY OF THE CITY OF ST. JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND:

Parnell, Elizabeth (widow of John K. Parnell) - 169 Gower

I have plenty of information on the Winsors, the Daltons, and the Menchintons (all the early Exploits folks) if you have a desire for it.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:26 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt:

The information you posted on the Parnell family and others is greatly appreciated. I recently started researching Thomas Avery Winsor's family and would be interested in anything you have to share. It has been a slow go, gathering information. I have 8 children listed for Thomas & Louisa, with 5 marriages for them.

I have Ann Avery Winsor married to John Hyacinth Noonan with the names of their 5 children.
For Grace Dalton Winsor & William J. R. Parnell, I only have the names of their 6 children.
I have the marriage of William Menchinton Winsor to Eliza Isabella Foote but no details on her and no children listed.
I have Mary Menchinton Winsor married twice: first to Abraham Lilly (no details) with 5 children; second to Jabez Manuel with 2 children.
Louisa Winsor married Philip Henry Hutchings; no children listed.
I have no marriages for Agnes, James or Amelia Winsor.

Do you know the parents of John Keddell Parnell?

Any help would be great!

Trishe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Trishe:

My primary focus has been on the earliest settlers of Notre Dame Bay - those of the 1700's and early 1800's.

I do have some information on the family of Thomas Avery Winsor......but I am out of the province for a few months and consequently I don't have ready access to all of my notes.

Here are a few tidbits that I can offer you at this time. Do your own due diligence, of course.

On December 25, 1856, at St. John's, Thomas Avery Winsor (1828-1909), son of Anthony Winsor and Ann Avery of Torbryan, Devon, England, married Louisa Menchinton (1833-1913), daughter of William Menchinton and Grace Dalton of Exploits.

I have attached the following children to Thomas Avery Winsor and Louisa Menchinton:

(1) Ann Avery Winsor, who was born in 1857, and who married John Hyacinth Noonan.
(2) Grace Dalton Winsor, who was born in 1858, and who married William John Reynolds Parnell.
(3) Elizabeth Winsor, who was born in 1860.
(4) William Menchinton Winsor, who was born in 1862, and who married Eliza Isabella "Bell" Foote.
(5) Mary Menchinton Winsor, who was born in 1864, and who married Jabez Manuel.
(6) Louisa Winsor, who was born in 1869, and who married Philip Henry Hutchings.
(7) James Winsor, who was born in 1870, and who married Mary Emma. They had a son named Thomas Avery Winsor, who was born on January 22, 1893, and who died on November 16, 1894, at St. John's.
(8) Amelia Winsor, who was born in 1874.
(9) Agnes Winsor, who was baptised in 1881.

Here is a Death/Burial Record for James Winsor: "WINSOR, James, Exploits, died August 10, buried August 13, 1899, age 28 yrs., B. Wood."

Didn't Abraham Lilly marry Mary Menchinton Winsor, daughter of Daniel and Caroline Winsor of Aquaforte, NL ?

I haven't delved into the early Parnells, but if I were to look for the parents of John Keddell Parnell, I would be inclined to commence my search in Petty Harbour.

I will post some of the information I have collected on the early Menchintons of Exploits in the next block. I also have information on the early Daltons and Footes of Exploits, if you so desire to have it.

Regards.

Milt

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Trishe, here is some of the information I have on file for the William Menchinton family.

William Menchinton was born circa 1797, a native of Somerset, England.

William Menchinton married Grace Dalton, daughter of John Dalton and Phyllis Perry of Western Bay, Fortune Harbour and Exploits.

William Menchinton had a mercantile establishment, fishing room and houses in Twillingate, as well as other locations in Newfoundland. He is considered to have been the first owner of the 'Ashbourne Longhouse' at Twillingate. It is unknown whether he bought these premises from another owner or had them built himself. Constructed in the early 1800s, the Ashbourne Longhouse is one of the oldest surviving private residences in the province, and a good example of Georgian-inspired merchant class housing. The Ashbourne Longhouse was declared a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in May 1991.

I have attached the following children to William Menchinton and Grace Dalton: John Menchinton; Jane Menchinton, who married John Gibbons Jr. on November 27, 1849; Mary Menchinton, who married James Jennings Winsor of Aquaforte, on November 27, 1851, at St. John's; Louisa Menchinton, who was born circa 1833, who married Thomas Avery Winsor of Torbryan, Devon, England, on December 25, 1856, at St. John's, and who died on May 1, 1913, at the age of 80 years, at Exploits; and Amelia Ann Menchinton, who married John Power.

The household of William Menchinton is included in the 1836 census report for Exploits, showing two males and six females in the household.

The Will of William Menchinton, of St. John's, dated April 28, 1866, and probated in 1866, names his wife, Grace; his daughter, Mary Menchinton, who married Captain James Jennings Winsor; his daughter, Louisa Menchinton, who married Thomas Avery Winsor; his daughter, Amelia Ann Menchinton, who married John Power; and his servant, William Fever.

The Will of Grace (Dalton) Menchinton, of St. John's, dated June 6, 1873, and probated in 1882, names her son John Menchinton (deceased); her daughter, Mary Menchinton, who married James Jennings Winsor; her daughter, Louisa Menchinton, who married Thomas Avery Winsor; her daughter, Amelia Ann Menchinton, who married John Power; and her daughter, Jane Menchinton (deceased). The Will also names the sisters of Grace (Dalton) Menchinton as Mary Sceviour (George Sceviour), Jane Foote (John William Foote), Elizabeth Gillett (James Gillett), Ann Arnold (Charles Arnold), and Ellen Milley (Edward Milley).

William Menchinton is listed in the St. Thomas Anglican Church Burials, at St. John's, as being buried on June 12, 1866, age 69 years.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Milt:

Thank you again for the wonderful information. I had missed Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Avery; didn't know James had married; and had mistakenly added a second marriage for Mary Menchinton Winsor.

You are correct. Mary Menchinton Winsor, daughter of Daniel Henry & Caroline, married Abraham Lilly. Even when I had the two mixed up, I knew something was wrong, due to the birthdates of the children.

I will try and find John Keddell Parnell. I wondered if he was related to the Petty Harbour family. Perhaps a nephew of the John Parnell who married Elizabeth Walsh.

My husband's mother was from Petty Harbour and his father was from Fogo, thus my interest in following through with all the branches of the various families, as there is always a chance of later generations merging.

Per Chance, you wouldn't know anything about the Flynn brothers who moved from Bird Island (now Elliston) to Musgrave Harbour prior to 1868? They were William, John & James. William married 13 Nov 1868 Fogo to Julia Easton, bp 11 Jul 1851 Musgrave Hr, d/o Thomas & Sarah Easton (Eason).

Thanks again Milt. I appreciate the help. Have already done many of the lookups to gather my own records.

Trishe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Trishe.

The Flynns (Flinns) were one of the early settler families at Bird Island Cove. The first names William, James, Thomas, and John are prevalent throughout the descendants of that family.

Here is what I am seeing. Again, do your own due diligence, of course.

James Flinn married Mary Brown on May 1, 1841, at Greenspond. William (1841), John (1844), and James (1847) were their sons.

Nov 13, 1868, at Fogo - William Flynn of Musgrave Harbour married Julia Easton.
Oct 26, 1874, at Musgrave Hr. - John Flynn of Musgrave Harbour married Mary Ann Whiteway of Musgrave Harbour.
Nov 17, 1880, at Western Arm - James Flynn, Widower, of Musgrave Harbour married Mahala Tulk of Ladle Cove.
Oct 28, 1891, at Musgrave Harbour - John Flynn, widower, of Musgrave Harbour, married Rosannah Crummey, widow, of Musgrave Harbour.

Many of the first settlers at Musgrave Harbour (Muddy Hole) came from the area of Western Bay, in Conception Bay.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:12 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Milt:

Many, many thanks for the Flynn information. You have added another generation to Jimmy's family. Even without full dates, that is terrific.
William Flynn & Julia Easton had 6 children that I know about. Their eldest, Theresa, 1869 Musgrave Harbour - 6 Aug 1954 Montreal, PQ, was my husband's grandmother. Theresa married Mark Willis, bp 2 Jul 1865 Fogo - 8 Sep 1920 Fogo.
Mark Willis & Theresa Flynn had 8 children. Their third eldest, Captain John Hector Willis, 19 May 1897 Fogo - 16 May 1977 Sydney, NS, married 18 Aug 1931 St. John's Annie Mary Pridham, 7 Jan 1911 Petty Harbour - 16 Aug 1992 Sydney, NS. My husband is their youngest son.
I am extremely interested in anything you can tell me about the Flynn family, if you wish to share.
trishewillis@syd.eastlink.ca

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi again Milt:

I have learned a little more aout the Dalton family. John Dalton Jr, who married Phyllis Perry, was supposedly born at sea, the son of John Dalton from England who settled his family at Maddox Cove. John Jr. had a sister, Catherine, who married Richard Donnelly at the RC Basilica.

John Dalton Jr. & Phyllis Perry had 3 sons and 7 daughters. I only know about Grace, who married William Menchinton, and that Jane married George Foote (nothing more known about them yet).

Trishe

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...