Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Nellie B. Penney (1909-1999)
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:52 am 

I am trying to research the family of Nellie Brown Penney. I think I have found the right woman but am not sure. It's hard for me to figure out where to search because of all the provinces, and how boundaries and names have changed over the years so I am a bit lost on where to look. Here is what I know:

Nellie B. (Penney) Hughes was born 20 October 1909 in Canada and died 12 April 1999 in the US. She was married to Patrick Joseph Hughes in the US and had at least one son named Robert Patrick Hughes who was born in 1933. This family lived their lives in Brooklyn, Kings, New York, USA. She would always tell the family she was a “Newfy” (not sure of the spelling, but she meant from Newfoundland).

Now, trying to research her has proven difficult. Her granddaughter will be spending the holidays gathering what family data she has, but unfortunately, she may not have much.

I have found a likely candidate in a database at Ancestry.com for passenger lists that shows a Nellie B. Penney age 17y 11m traveling from St. Johns to Saugus, Massachusetts on 11 November 1927 arriving in Boston on the 15th of same. This record says her father John Penney paid for her passage and that she was born in Western Bay, Newfoundland and her visa #825 was issued 18 October 1927 in St. Johns. She was going to visit her aunt Mrs. George Diamond at 1 Pearson Street in Saugus.

The 1930 census shows the family of George Diamond and Emily J. in Saugus and they have the same address as the Mrs. George Diamond from the passenger list.

Taking this info we find George's naturalization card with same address and that he was born 4 October 1880 in Adams Cove, Newfoundland, wife was Emily J.

Emily J. Diamond filed for a passport in 1917 stating her name was Emily Julia Diamond wife of George, same mailing address as above and that she was born 15 February 1880 in Western Bay and was going home to visit her father. Her passport information matches George’s naturalization record and the 1930 census about their immigration years. Online trees show Emily’s maiden name to be Cooper; unfortunately, no sources on how the name was proven.

All of these records confirm that these three people are related, but, is this the Nellie that married Patrick Joseph Hughes and if so, where, online, can I look for records to build her family (parents, siblings, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

Amy Hedrick
amylyn@glynngen.com

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...