Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Roman Catholic records before 1857 for Harbour Main
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:55 pm 

I'm researching the Gorman family and I believe my great grandmother, Ellen was born in the 1840's or early 1850's. Her parents were probably married around that time as well. Does anyone know if these records exist?

Post subject: Re: Roman Catholic records before 1857 for Harbour Main
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 am 

The records previous to this were in Brigus and the church burned down so there are no records avalible that I am aware of. What exactly are you looking for? Being more specific with family information might help. Like spouce, siblings, children etc. There has been tons or research done in this area of newfoundland. I only have one Ellen Gorman around that time and she married a Gatherall. I don't know who her parents were but I never really looked. Have you heard from anyone about the family yet?

Michelle

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:46 pm 

Hi Michelle,
Can you suggest where to look for this earlier info? I am looking for Michael Hennessey and Bridget Brien, they were baptizing their babies from 1857 at Sts Peter & Paul, I am guessing they had children prior to the start of that church. They came from Cork, and I not sure if they married before they arrived or not. Any leads would be appreciated.
Nancy

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:49 pm 

Michelle,
You say plenty of research has been done, could you point me in the right direction to find this info? I am looking for Bridget Brien and Michael Hennessey, born 1830 - 1840 ish, they were having babies baptized in 1857 & on in Sts Peter & Paul Church, I am estimating they were married in the mid 1850's. The listing shows they were living in Salmon Cove in 1857, in Broad Cove in 1862.
Thanks for your input.
Nancy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm 

Gorman's of Harbour Main!!I happen to be a great granddaughter of John Hickey & Elizabeth(Eliza)Gorman of Harbour Main.John & Eliza were married July 18.1880.Eliza was born in 1857.I am doing some research on the Hickey's.As well any small bits of info along the way I add.I wonder if Eliza & ellen were related & if so how?!!

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...