Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Morey family events in Harbour Grace Catholic church from 1785 to 1845.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 am 

I have been to the Rooms last week for a couple of days but didn't have the time to check all of the Harbour Grace Immaculate Conception Catholic church events because I was looking at other Catholic churches with no luck. Unfortunately, the cost of another trip to Newfoundland would be prohibitive since I live around Montreal. What I need to find out is baptisms, marriage and death events for the Morey surname in Harbour Grace. Catholic Morey persons seem to be quite rare around there. I am completely stuck since the registries were lost between 1845 and around 1866. Finding Morey family events for the period from 1785 to 1845 could help me link these people to the ones I know about from around 1850 in Carbonear. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Morey family events in Harbour Grace Catholic church from 1785 to 1845.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

As per the "Conception Bay Plantation Book", Patrick Morey......possibly first Morey at Carbonear.....died in 1820, I believe:

"846 - Thomas Connell, 28 yds. from E. to W. bounded on the E. by Patrick Morey on the W. by Wm. Bryan 112 yds. from S. to N. bounded on the N. by the path on the S. by the woods, 1 House, 2 Gardens, 1 Meadow. - Carbonear '' Cut out of the woods - Ths. Connell '' 1789 ''."

Some Harbour Grace "Morey" RC marriages:

Feb 14, 1809 Daniel MORY m. Mary [HEDORTON?] Witnesses: William DALY & Peter [HEARN?]

Nov 18, 1813 William MORY m. Mary CONOL Witnesses: Daniel MORY & Alice HANRAHAN

Jan 31, 1811 Timothy MORY m. Ann MARSHALL Witnesses: Patrick MORY & Mary MARSHALL

Oct 29,1816 Laurence KENNY m. Mary MOREA Witnesses: William MOREA & Honor DUNFEY

Other "Morey" information related to Conception Bay area:

Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador -- Morry Papers (PANL MG 237 -- Matthew Morry):
People often refer to the "Morry Papers" as if they were a single comprehensive collection of historical documents. In fact there are several. The collection most often referred to as the "Morry Papers" is that which has resided at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador in the Colonial Building in St. John's since donated by Dad Morry before his death. There are also less comprehensive collections at the A. C. Hunter Library Newfoundland Collection at the Arts and Culture Centre, at the Newfoundland Museum, at the Memorial Library Newfoundland Collection and at the Maritime History Archive (also on the Memorial Campus). There may also be some "Morry Papers" at the Ferryland Museum, though that has as yet to be confirmed.
Only the documents at the Provincial Archives are the original papers (at least in part). The rest are photocopies, and much of this material is duplicated from collection to collection. I have personally seen most of this material and have obtained copies of the most important items that are amenable to being photocopied, but several of the documents at the Provincial Archives are too old and frail or too large and cumbersome to be photocopied and will eventually have to be transcribed manually.
Eventually it is hoped that the entire collection will reside in one location in the new Provincial Archives in "The Rooms" now under construction (January 2004). It is also hoped that those family members holding original materials of historical importance will eventually donate them to this new central collection for the benefit of their protection and their use by other researchers. In the meantime, as I obtain copies and transcribe them, digitise them or photograph them as appropriate, they will all be recorded here for easier access by more people. For now, many articles are simply listed until time permits to transcribe or digitise them.

Letter to Matthew Morry in Harbour Grace from his mother in St. John’s , Nov. 20, 1841 . Original. Legible.

RC Basilica, St. John's - Marriage:

Oct 29 1797 - WILLIAM MOREY, PASSAGE, COUNTY WATERFORD, married ANORA MUDGE, PORT DE GRAVE. Witnesses: THOMAS POWER Mrs. SHIRL...

Post subject: Re: Morey family events in Harbour Grace Catholic church from 1785 to 1845.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 pm 

Thank you very much Milt for this information. I hope that you can find some more, including births. I might be able to create a link. I hope other people will share information too. Take care all.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:33 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Have you perused these book ? The information you are seeking may be contained in them.

"St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Parish and The Early People of Carbonear", authored by James M. Fleming Sr.

Mr. James Fleming Sr. has been researching for over 25 years the early inhabitants of Carbonear and Harbour Grace. He has a second book about the early inhabitants of Harbour Grace, entitled "The Story of The Roman Catholic Dioceses of Harbour Grace and Grand Falls, Newfoundland".

I recommend these two books to anyone who is interested in the early families and history of the Catholic inhabitants of Carbonear and Harbour Grace. To obtain these books you can find them at: St Patrick's Church or the Rail Road Station Carbonear, Grand Falls Archdiocese, or Archiocese in St. Johns and Harbour Grace Tel. # 596-1309.

Mr. Fleming noted that before Priest were available, people married each other and baptised their children until they could go back to Ireland to validate their marriages.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:49 am 

Thank you Milt. I have ordered the book from Bert at The Heritage Society in Carbonear. It was nice talking to you and thanks again for the help.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:22 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Timothy Morey who married Ann Marshall in 1811 left Carbonear with his family
settled in Massachusetts. He was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery, Gloucester on
24 April 1868, aged 84 years.

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...