Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...

Post subject: Seeking any Churchill & Piccot geneologies from Portugal Cove, late 1800's
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm 

Hi--
If anyone has any information about members of these 2 families, in Portugal Cove, from around 1830 to 1900, i would greatly appreciate it.

I posted in July concerning James Churchill & his wife Selina Piccot (my husband's great-grandparents), and received several very kind replies. I suspect the family records were indeed destroyed in the Portugal Cove church fire in the late 1920's, as I've searched & searched without any further results.

What I'm reasonably sure of is, Grandfather William Churchill (b. 1881 in NL, emigrated to the US in 1899, m.1901 in NYC, had 2 children, d.there 1935) had parents James Churchill & Selina Piccot, both b.NL (according to his death certificate). StonePics says there are 3 headstones (close together) in the St. Peter's Anglican Cemetery in Portugal Cove that relate to this: 2 James Churchills (d. 1919 and 1922) and a Selina Churchill (d.1938). There's a newspaper note regarding fatalities in 1922 about a James Churchill drowning at Bell Island; and further cemetery records indicate the 1919 James headstone also says "beloved son of James and Selina"--age 30.

So my only family results seem to be, there were a James & Selina (hopefully Piccot) Churchill living in Portugal Cove in the late 1800's, early 1900's, who likely had at least 2 children, William (b.1881) and James (b.c.1889). (Family tradition indicates possibly another 8-9 children.)

I wonder if anyone has any records in a family Bible relating to this...

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Rose Glemann

Post subject: Re: Seeking any Churchill & Piccot geneologies from Portugal
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:33 am 

Hello Rose.

I am related to the Churchills/ Churchwills and Picco of Portugal Cove and have been researching them off and on since 1979! In addition to a fire at the Church of England Rectory in 1929 all the Methodist records to 1892 were destroyed when the Great Fire of St. John's burnt Gower Street Church where the records were stored!!

I found one other son of James and Selina in my records!
1884 09 22 - b. George s. of James & Selina Churchill.VS26 CE

I went through all of the Portugal Cove cemeteries in 1990 and can recall the grave site of James Junior!! I had photos of all of them at that time and misplaced them after I transcribed the headstone information!! I have the two James stones but must have missed Selina!!

James Churchill son of James and Selina, d. 1919 08 22, age 30. Born 1889
James Churchill, in Memory of, who lost his life on the night of 1922 07 18, age 64, b.c. 1858.

Unless you have some info saying your Selina died in 1938 be careful as there were a number of Selina Churchills!

Take Care,
Les Winsor

Post subject: Re: Seeking any Churchill & Piccot geneologies from Portugal
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm 

Hi Rose

Additional info for children of James and Selina

District of St. John’s Vital Records
1891 - 1893 Register of Births
Birth Nov 9, 1891
Name Edna Alexandra Churchill
Parents James & Selina
Fathers occup. Fisherman

The S.S. Florizel Arriving in New York
and Departing from St. John’s, NL
Departure May 5, 1910
Name Edna Churchill
Sex Female
Age 19 yrs
M/S Single
Resid. Newfoundland
Origin English
City/Town Portugal Cove, NL

Board index » Genealogy » Looking For...