Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: INFO ON ANGEL(L) - as promised to Sarah and Trish - from Anna.
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm 
HI! Guys - Received the promised E-Mail from my Sister, Cathy. (Cathy is responsible for all things Angel. I took on The FURLONGS. We started our searches years before Computers:-

1. MARY ANGEL - b. Petty Hr. 1836. Married. Williams, Kilbride. After his death, she re-married MURPHY, Kilbride, NL. (Have 2 photos of Gravemarker - by Don Tate in 2004 and Francis McAllister in 2009. Mary ANGEL-MURPHY d. 1900.) Work was obviously done on GRAVESTONE between 2004 and 2009. Shanahan connection here.

IMPORTANT:

1. RICHARD ANGELL B. Petty Hr./Maddox Cove 1838. Died, St. John's WEST - Water St. area - Oct. 11, 1904.

2. MARY ANN ROGERS. B. Petty Hr. Maddox C. 1845. Died, St. John's West - Water St. Area
D. June 21, 1921 - Notice in 1929 "Lists of Yearly Events - Revised."

3. RICHARD ANGELL AND MARY ANN ROGERS, OUR PATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS were MARRIED - March 26, 1870.( MY Sister, Cathy, wants to re-confirm this date. I am certain it is correct.)

CHILDREN OF RICHARD AND MARY ANN ROGERS ANGEL:-

Not in Chronological Order:-

1. John J. Angel. Dec. 07, 1881. D. July 31, 1971. John Angel married ANASTASIA FLYNN (c)
1906. I have the correct date of their marriage.) Anastasia Flynn-Angel. D. 1957, age 72.
OUR FAMILY KNEW THEM BOTH and ATTENDED BOTH WAKES AND FUNERALS.

2. Margaret "Maggie" Angel. M. FLEMING - West-end Barbour. GERALD PATRICK ANGEL, Sr., our Dad, was life-long friends with his FLEMING RELATIVES.

3. SARAH ANGEL. B. 1872. D. May 16, 1944.(Married Michael Murphy. West-End Barbour.B. 1874. D. April 11, 1956. One son, WILFRED MURPHY, had 3 daughters, Margaret,"Peggy, Sharron and ?. Do not have Wilfred's wife's maiden name at hand. Went to Mercy Convent with Peggy and Sharron. One day, in about 1957, the Sisters came and took Peggy, our FIRST COUSIN, out of class. We later learned that UNCLE WILF - a SMOKER, had died suddenly of a heart attack............There is STILL HOPE I can learn more of the past from Peggy, Sharron and ?.

4. LAWRENCE ANGEL. B. 1885. D. June 19, 1896. Age 11 and one half year's old.

5. RICHARD, MARY ANN ROGERS-ANGEL, their son, LAWRENCE, are all buried in the same plot @ Mount Carmel R.C. Cemetery, overlooking Quidi Vidi Lake, Home of the Annual St. John's Royal Regatta. We have yet to connect to the "SCURRY" buried with them as well.My 4 brothers attended school with SCURRY Boys. They referred to themselves as "cousins of our ANGEL's. Later on, There was a SCURRY, who was head of a UNION - the section @ ST. PATRICK'S MERCY HOME - where JOHN ANGEL, our Paternal Grandfather was, from 1959 to 1971. Everyone has been too busy with children & careers until now - to actually make a pro-active attempt to make contact with all the names we know to be related to us. That has been started in 2010.

Note: My Sister, Cathy, has on her computer, 2 pictures of the ANGEL GRAVE in MOUNT CARMEL CEMETERY. (THE ONES I LOST WHEN MY COMPUTER CRASHED IN 2009 - with a ton of other photoes and info.) She will sent it along to me, then I will to you when she finds it a.s.a.p.....................All the Best, Anna. Hope this will help.

Post subject: Re: INFO ON ANGEL(L) - as promised to Sarah and Trish - from Anna.
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Anna, I have some baptismal dates for your family:

Margaret Ann Angel, baptized 21 November 1873
John Angel, baptized 8 May 1875
John Joseph Angel, baptized 9 December 1881
Lawrence Angel, baptized 1 January 1885

Post subject: Re: INFO ON ANGEL(L) - as promised to Sarah and Trish - from Anna.
 Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:30 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Anna & Ed. This is all helping sort out the Petty Harbour families.
Trishe

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 am 

Anna/Trishe - So am I correct in thinking that Richard Angel (who married Mary Ann Rogers/Scurry) was the son of John Angel and Mary Shanahan? (Which would make the Mary Angel you mentioned who married Charles Williams and then Michael Murphy, his sister?). The baptizmal date I have for Richard Angel is 3 Jun 1838, so the birth date of 1838 fits. - Sarah

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sarah:

That is the premise we are working on, that Richard born 1838 was the son of John Angel & Mary Shanahan. And yes, Mary who married Charlie Williams & Michael Murphy would be Richard's sister.

Trishe

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am 

Thanks for the info Anna/Trishe. Is anyone aware if Richard Angel and Mary Ann's children were born in Petty Harbour or St. John's? And whether Richard and Mary's marriage took place in St. John's?

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:40 am 
HIi! Trishe, Sarah et al! (Sarah) - The "other Sarah Angel - in England" my niece, Dr. Melissa "SARAH" Angel.)She and her sister, Jillian, attended The MUN-Affiliated Campus @ Harlow. Sorry for the incorrect E-Mail and ref.)

AS FAR As RICHARD & SARAH ROGERS-ANGEL, & where they were married, according to my Father's notes, they were married in Petty Hr./Maddox Cove. Their children were born there as well. Their children were born there also. However, as mentioned many times, Richard and Mary Ann moved to St. John's - where they dropped the SECOND (L) from ANGELL. (Families like HEALY - once HEALEY, did the same thing, some of them, when they moved from Blackhead, Cape Spear area.) I haven't been able to find any marriages or baptisms for our Great Grandparents @St. Patricks Cathedral, Patrick St., St. John's West or elsewhere.

That's not to say they COULD have been married in St. John's BEFORE moving here - but not likely. I HAVE however, found many baptisms and some marriages of First cousins of Dad. And, our Paternal Grandparents, John Angel, b. Dec. 07, 1881, d. July 31., 1971 married our Grandmother, ANASTASIA FLYNN b. 1904. D. 1957 @ age 72(approximately.) When Nan died, she lived @ # 3 Allen Square, St. John's, Nl. All other siblings of Richard and Mary Ann married in "town." I don't think anyone went back to their "roots" - until Dad and now us did - trying to find who was who and who is who in 2010. Anna.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 am 

Thanks for the info Anna. It fills in a few holes and I believe I have an handle now of when the family moved from Petty Harbour/Maddox Cove to St. John's.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames