Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: ANGEL CONNECTION TO CALLANAN
 Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:52 pm 
Anna here. I attended Holy Heart of Mary High School - 1959 - 1961. My Cousin - sev. generations removed was also there @ same time - Mary Lou Callanan. She is the d. of William "Bill" Callanan.

I suspect the name was originally spelled "CALLAHAN" in the R.C. Records. (Also related from the Corner Brook Area through "CALLANAN" is "MERCER" - Robert "BOB." Elected Provincial Politician (c) 1990 - 1992.

William - "Bill" CALLANAN, St. John's, Mary Lou's FATHER, is quite well known. Journalist, Liberal Politician. Ran an "Academy" for a time - Journalism, etc. The opinion of William by some R.C. families related to his was, I suspect, gleaned from the possibility of the CHANGE of Sirname from "CALLAHAN" to "CALLANAN." And, the Political choice of THE LIBERAL PARY vs. CONSERVATIVE PARTY - an opinion held by many R.C. "WEST END FAMILIES" albeit unfairly - following our entrance into Canada in April, 1949, as it's TENTH Province.

RELIGION and POLITICS were joined at the hip for generations. Today, no one gives a darn - if they are reasonable human beings....................However, if you check with elders in Nursing Homes, there still lives on the belief that to be a WEST END TOWNIE R.C. AND ALSO A LIBERAL is just not "KOSHER." Swimming upstream was thought to be the domain of Salmon - an erroneous thought. Anna.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames