Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Corbin Family
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:56 pm 

Looking for anyone who can tell me where to look for the Corbin of Harbour Grace Newfoundland.

Post subject: Re: Corbin Family
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:45 am 

Corbins in Harbour Grace tie to Corbins who were in Carbonear. George John Corbin married my great grandfather's sister Elizabeth Rebecca Martin in Harbour Grace circa 1882. They later moved to Brooklyn, New York.

Parents of George were Thomas and Sarah. Thomas originally from Poole, in Dorset. Contact me and we can maybe sort out some issues.

Harbor Grace Standard & Conception Bay Advertiser
25 Apr 1888
Death

This (Saturday) morning, after a lingering illness, Sarah H., relict of the late Thomas CORBIN, of Poole, Dorset, England, and for many years a resident of Carbonear. Funeral on Monday next at half-past 2 p.m. from her son-in-law's residence, on LeMarchant St--American and Canadian papers please copy.

Harbor Grace Standard & Conception Bay Advertiser
2 May 1888
Death

On Saturday last, after a lingering illness, Sarah H., relict of the late Thomas CORBIN, aged 73 years.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf ... d_1888.htm

Geoff Martin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 pm 

The only thing I know for sure about my Corbin is his name is Peter Corbin Born 1873 in Harbour Grace his parents may be Peter Corbin and Ella Corbett. I found this from his marriage cert in Boston Mass. I haven't found anything in Newfoundland. If you know how I could find this please let me know. Lisa

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm 

Your names seem to indicate that Peter and Ella were Catholic. Do a search on this site and the internet for Ward Greene. They won't let you post e-mail addresses directly in this forum.

Ward has been poking around for a long time chasing the Corbins in Newfoundland, maybe he can provide a short cut to your search.

Otherwise do a search on this site for Corbin Carbonear and see what you find. I have found only two sons for Thomas and Sarah Corbin and they both appear to have been born in Harbour Grace. George John born circa 1849 and Frederick presumably late 1840s or in the 1850s.

George John and Elizabeth Rebecca Martin (my family) married about 1880 presumably in Harbour Grace and brother Frederick married Sadie Tweedy in Brooklyn, 7 June 1889. Undoubtedly that is why George and Elizabeth headed there later.

Carbonear Sentinel and Conception Bay Advertiser

Oct 30 1845
Birth

on 20th inst. Mrs Thomas CORBIN, daughter.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf ... ntinel.htm

Potentially, this could be daughter Cora Elizabeth who married Bussey in 1867

Daughter Sarah Amelia died as an infant aged 5 months in June 1851.

NFLD-ROOTS-L Archives

CORBIN: Sarah Amelia 5 mos. dau.of T. CORBIN of Carbonear, on the 12th.( 18
Jun.)

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0984980653

Keep me posted if you are successful and find something that ties to the line of Thomas and Sarah.

Geoff

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames