Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Farrell Triplets in 1860? Probably not.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 pm 

My great-great grandparents, John and Mary (Connelly) Farrell, had five children: Richard, Elizabeth, Patrick, David and Teresa. The baptismal registry for St Bernards Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (both the transcribed version here and the original image) show Richard, Elizabeth and Patrick baptized on the same day: August 21, 1860. Triplets had to have been exceptionally rare (with all three survivng), and families typically baptized children as soon after birth as possible.

John and Mary were married in 1854 in Dublin. (When they arrived in NL is unclear.) Might these three children have been born in Ireland, where a forced conversion may have been imposed to get aid during the Potato Famine?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this triple baptism came to be? I'll be grateful for any ideas.

Post subject: Re: Farrell Triplets in 1860? Probably not.
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:46 pm 

Were the birth dates of the three children given? The baptisms only happened when a minister was available, which could be a few years. When a minister did arrive in the community or nearby community all the children would be baptized at same time. I have a family of 5 children being baptized on same date and no birth dates given.

Post subject: Re: Farrell Triplets in 1860? Probably not.
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:43 pm 

Hello! No, unfortunately. Neither the original church register nor the transcription give birth dates, but this is a very logical theory. It hadn't occurred to me that during that time parishoners would be without clergy for extended periods of time.

Many thanks!

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames