Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: COOPER family of New Harbour
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:55 pm 

I am researching the JOHN and SARAH COOPER family of New Harbour, TBay. John and Sarah had at least 2 daughters, MARY ANN b. Sept 11 1823, New Harbour and ELIZABETH b. July 30 1830, New Harbour. ELIZABETH COOPER married a JONATHAN WHITE about 1850 and they moved to NORMANS COVE.
Would anyone have any further information on this COOPER family?

Post subject: Re: COOPER family of New Harbour
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:36 pm 

Hello, I am descended from this couple.

The two daughters you mention are documented, but there were also 2 sons in the area that would belong to this couple. The problem from the 1820's to 1862, is that the records of baptisms and marriages were retained at the Heart's Content Mission, and were lost in a fire. We are left to piece together the period using what information is available.

Not all Voters Lists of the period remain, but John can be found in the 1835 and 1836 Voters Lists (VL) in New Harbour, the 1837 VL places him in Norman's Cove. I believe he died before 1870 because he is not in that list, although the two sons I believe are his appear -- William 1920-1902 and John 1821-1907, both birth dates being calculated from their death records.

William married a Martha and had 8 documented children in Little Ridge, a community attached to Chapel Arm. John married Marjory (aka Margaret) Temple and had 6 documented children in Norman's Cove, including my 2x great-grandmother Sarah Dorothy 1854-1938. I have a myriad of data I have collected on all of these families -- maybe far too much :) I can take you through almost all of their lines.

Elizabeth 1830-1903 and Jonathan White had 6 documented children, I have followed them as well. Mary Ann must have died young as I have not been able to track her down or her records are just lost in the abyss as son many female redords were.

Also note that the Coopers of nearby Green's Harbour are not related to the Cooper family you are asking about, they came from Old Perlican. I haven't been able to determine where John came from, indeed he may have come from that same line a generation or two earlier.

let me know what you are looking for.

Regards
Carol

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm 

Let me just correct myself a bit..

While John Cooper and Marjory's children were documented (they were Methodist, and so baptized children further afield then New Harbour) of the 8 children been credited to his brother William, only the last 2 (in the 1860's) were documented -- beyond that, William was the only adult male in Little Ridge during the period, so we can reasonably expect the other 6 children born there in the period to be his.

Similarly with Elizabeth, the last 4 children were documented (in the 1860's), and prior Jonathan and Elizabeth are credited with the remaining 4 children as the only family of White's having children in the period in Norman's Cove.

Regards,
Carol

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:38 am 

Hello Carol
Thank you for your response. Jonathan White and Elizabeth Cooper are my 3rd Gt Grandparents. I have a listing for all of their children and am presently working on recording the family of Jonathan White's brother Caleb White and his wife Elizabeth Hutchings, the Long Cove White family and tracing Jonathan White's father, Caleb White, back to Poole England.

I had noticed the Cooper family name in both Little Ridge and Normans Cove but did not know how to connect them.

I have 7 children listed for Jonathan and Elizabeth White:
-Louisa 1850-1919
-Elizabeth 1853-1942
-Mary Jane 1856-1938
-Tryphena 1863-1907
-Caleb 1865-1911 M. Martha Jane Warren (my 2nd Gt Grandparents)
-Rachel 1869 -?
-Leah 1870-1964

I would be most interested in anything you are able to share about the Cooper family especially the name Temple. My Grandmother had a very good friend in Normans Cove with the surname Temple. I would have to check with my mother for her christian name, but I do know some how either her or her husband was a cousin of Nan.

Take Care
Pat

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:57 pm 

Hi Pat,

If your nan is a Cooper connected to the Temple family, then for sure that is my line!

So the Temple's are really interesting and can be very cleanly tracked back to England -- so unusual to be able to connect those dots with certainty!

The patriarch in Trinity Bay was George Temple, baptized Oct 29, 1799 in Richmond Near Leyburn, York, England, parents William and Dorothy (nee Snowden) Temple. Family moved to Bridport after his birth. He was the eldest of 12 children, and sibling's names included Matthew, Peter, Snowden and of course, William and John -- names that have appeared again in the line in Trinity Bay, as does his mother's name and her sibling name. (George's sibling Peter also came across the pond, but to Ontario.) George's mother Dorothy was the middle child of 7 children born to George Snowden 1743-1841 and Anne Greathead 1735-1796. Her siblings include a youngest sister Margory b. 1783.

George married Charity in Newfoundland; nothing is really known about her, although it is expected that she died young -- the baptism record for their youngest child Matthew gives only George as a parent, so perhaps she died in childbirth?

Their known children were William 1823-1860, married Elizabeth Hefford, 7 children, died Chance Cove; Dorothy 1824-1902, married John Piercey, 6 children, died Norman's Cove; Marjory 1826-?(my ancestor), married John Cooper, 6 children and lastly Matthew 1829-?, married Elizabeth nee unknown, 6 children.

John Cooper and Marjory Temple's children:

Sarah Dorothy Cooper 1854-1938 (my ancestor), married Jacob Smith, 7 children born Norman's Cove.
Thomas William Cooper 1856-?, no further info for him
Joanna Jane Cooper 1858, d. Bef. 1889 when husband remarried, married James Warren, 4 children born Norman's Cove.
George Cooper 1860-?, no further info on him
Charity Cooper b. 1863, 1 illegit child, married George Smith, 4 children born Norman's Cove, widowed, married George Piercey
Thurza (aka Theresa) Cooper b. 1866, 1 illegit child, married Eli Pretty, 2 children born Norman's Cove, widowed, took in a child surname Cooper, married John Green Piercey

Again, I have much information on all the siblings for the Temples as I do the Coopers. If you could tell me particular names of interest, I can send the info along to you, as to list it all would be quite lengthy.

Regards,
Carol

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 pm 

Sorry I guess my post was a bit confusing. My Grandmothers friend was the Mildred Newhook (daughter of Jacob Newhook) who married Alf Temple (son of Alex Temple), my Grandmother was a White, but they both insisted that we were related I just don't know how exactly.

To give you an idea as to where I fit in:

Caleb White (~1795, England) m. New Harbour Elizabeth
- Jonathan White (1823-1894) m. Elizabeth Cooper (1830-1903)
--Caleb White (~1865-1911) m. Dec 20 1888 Martha Jane Warren (1866-1928)
---George White (1892-1965) m. Oct 20 1914, Grand Bank Amelia Welsh (1891-1966)
----Winifred White (1915-1997) m Feb 15 1941 Harvey Keating (1910-1948) my grandparents

My main interest would be to follow up and out from Jonathan White and Elizabeth Cooper and Martha Jane Warren's mother was a Pike from Tickle Harbour but it would be fun to find out how Nan was connected to Mildred Newhook Temple.
I have quite a bit on my Grand Bank family but I am just getting started on my Trinity Bay line.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:48 am 

Hi Pat:

Following your thread on the Coopers. And I noticed you wondered how your grandmother, Winnifred White Keating was related to Mildred Newhook Temple. They are 2nd cousins. Their common ancestors are Ambrose WARREN II and Martha PIKE.

Winnifred White of George White of Martha Jane Warren of Ambrose Warren II and Martha Pike.

Mildred Newhook of Sarah Warren of Ambrose Warren III of Ambrose Warren II and Martha Pike.

Cheers your 4th cousin, Jennifer Bishop.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm 

thank you Jennifer. I will now add her into my tree.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:17 pm 

Would either of you ladies happen to know who the Charles White of Normans Cove age 64, widower and wife Elizabeth Cooper age 52, widow is that was married in Normans Cove on Oct 2 1902?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am 

I am a granddaugher of Mildred Warren born 1913 in Grandbank. Her siblings and father were born in Norman's Cove. Mildred's parents Albert Eleazer Warren 1880-1914 and Mable Louise MacDonald 1895-1971. (Mable was married 3 times also to a White and King) Alberts parents James Warren and Joanna Cooper. Looking for any information on Warren and Cooper Families.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames