Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Looking for information for MARSHALL Bay Roberts, Carbonear
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 am 

I am looking for the maiden name of my Great, Great Grandmother Mary Ann Marshall.
Born app 1825 in Bay Roberts? She married my Great Great Grandfather, William Marshall (born 1824) in Carbonear. They had 6 children in Bay Roberts, Leah, Ellen, Edward, John, WILLIAM and Lucinda Marshall. I am unable to find a marriage certificate for them. Of course all the birth certificates only list her married name.
My Great Grandfather William Marshall was born in 1857 and was killed, Aug 31, 1900 in the Sidney mines
My Grandfather, William John Marshall was born Sept 24, 1900 3 weeks after his father was killed.
I have submitted my DNA to Ancestry. Hoping that will help find some family members that may have more information.
Thank you for your time !

Kathy Marshall

Post subject: Re: Looking for information for MARSHALL Bay Roberts, Carbo
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:43 pm 

Hello Kathy. Have some info on Marshall's from Bay Roberts . I am thinking it started with a Nicholas Marshall who married Ann Juer in 1795 and they had a son William Marshall b1799 and he married Elizabeth Webber 1823. I 'm not sure from where it goes from there. Its a mystery who Mary Ann Marshall's maiden name is . You say William John Marshall is your grandfather who is the son of a William Marshall and Mary Mercer from Bay Roberts .Did your Grandfather live in British Columbia and pass in 1972?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:00 am 

Greetings Kathy,

I located a possible Mary Ann born in the correct time period. Mary Ann Hood was born 4 November 1821 in Bay Roberts and was christened 17 January 1822 in Harbour Grace. Her parents were James Hood and Elizabeth. I was unable to locate Elizabeth's maiden name or any additional information on this family. On one site, the surname Hood was also considered to possibly be Head. I hope this helps in furthering your research.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 pm 

Hi Doug.
Thank you very much for your reply! My Grandfather did Pass away in Vancouver in 1972. I do have the same information as you starting with Nicholas and Ann. I am unsure if I am on the right track though. There is a family rumor that my 3X Great grandfather may have immigrated from England, but I have not been able to find anything. What I have found suggests that the Marshall clan has roots in Newfoundland dating back to the 1600's. I do not have any experience in this type of research, so it is a learning curve. I have found a lot of information on Ancestry.ca, but a lot of the information comes from other members trees, so a lot of research needs to be done to ensure that it is correct. This NGB site has been very helpful in the search!. I am researching every Mary Ann that I have found on this site, so hopefully this mystery lady will soon have a Maiden name. Another family rumor is that they were never legally married. All of her childrens birth certificates do show her as Marshall. As you seem to be looking into the same family, we may be related down the line. If you have submitted your DNA maybe it will show a connection.
Good luck in your search!
Kathy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 pm 

Hi MassachusettsNewfie.
Thank you very much for the information! I will do some research on Mary Ann Hood. I did not look as far back as 1821, so it will be interesting to see where it leads. Mary Ann and William were very popular names back then. So confusing. Every Generation dating back to the 1600 in the Marshall family named a son William. I have 6 Willams in my tree so far.

Appreciate your response!
Kathy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:00 pm 

Greetings Kathy,

I came across a listing in the 1871 Lovell's Directory, dealing with James and Elizabeth Hood. The entry under Bay Roberts states: Mrs. Elizabeth Hoods wid James. This points to the possibility that James and/or Elizabeth passed away in Bay Roberts. I hope this helps in verifying that Hood(s) is the correct surname for your Mary Ann.

Yours in genealogy,
Mark

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:33 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

While doing research into my Great Great Grandmother Sarah Wood who married William Brown at Bay Roberts I found that in the early 1800's Wood was the surname and then the name seems to have changed to Hood about the 1870's. I will give you what I've found and you can decide if its of any value.
Good Luck

Found the following in the Bay Roberts Church of England Marriages;

24 May 1850 William Wood of Bay Roberts married Mary Kearley of Bay Roberts.

9 Dec 1858 Philip Wood of Bay Roberts married Jemima Badcock of Bay Roberts.

Also the following Burials at Bay Roberts;

5 May 1885 Mary wife of William Woods died at age 53 yrs.

28 Feb 1889 Caroline wife of Charles Woods died age 38 yrs.

7 Jan 1867 Sarah Jane age 3 yrs 3 Mths and Mary Ann age 15 Mths died, Daughters of William and Mary Wood.

19 Dec 1866 Isaac age 4 yrs. died son of Philip and Jemima Wood.

24 Oct 1893 Simon Woods (Fisherman) died age 57 Yrs.

Baptism

25 Mar 1873 Baptised Susanna Woods daughter of Simon and Elizabeth Woods.
Last bumped by Kathy_Marshall on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:33 am.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames