Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Lacey Family , Exploits
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:07 pm 

I am searching for information on Thomas Lacey, Henry Lacey, William Lacey, all in or around Exploits in very early 1800's. Thomas is my GGG Grandfather and I'm hoping to connect him with a wife, or parents, etc. Thank you. Lea Stock

Post subject: Re: Lacey Family , Exploits
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Lea:

Here is some of the information I am showing for the name William Lacey.

William Lacey was one of the early settlers at Exploits (Exploits Burnt Island). He married Mary Sceviour.

The name William Lacey appears in the Slade Ledgers in the 1790's.

William Lacey registered a claim, dated August 7, 1811, on a "fishing room" on the northwest side of Tizzards Harbour.

William Lacey registered another claim, dated in the Spring of 1818, on a "fishing room" on the southwest side of Exploits Burnt Island Harbour. There was a remark entered in the claim ledger indicating he, "has two small gardens in the tickle".

Henry Lacey is a name that shows up in the Exploits records in more than one generation.

Thomas Lacey, I associate with Back Harbour, Twillingate.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:37 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Lea:

Here is the birth and death information on one particular Henry Lacey of Exploits, who married Susannah Clancey, on March 30, 1882, at Exploits.

Are you interested in this Henry Lacey, or an earlier one ?

Lacey, Henry b. Apr 21, 1856, d. Jan 11, 1929, age 73.
Lacey, Susannah b. Jul 20, 1853 d. June 27, 1929, age 76.

Milt

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 pm 

Milt;

Thank you for much for your info. The Henry Lacey you refer to was my Great Grandfather George's (1852-1924) brother. My Great Grandmother, Fanny Ann, who was a Lacey before she married George, was the daughter of a Henry Lacey, born Twillingate, 1815, and Mary Ann Abrams, born England. Her father is the one I'm trying to find more about. After being born in Twillingate in 1815, he somehow ends up in Devon, England prior to 1840, where he married Mary Ann Abrams. They lived with her father in Townstall, Devon, according to the census of . Mary Ann gave birth to my Great Grandmother, Fanny Ann Lacey in 1856 and they all arrive back in Exploits, around 1862.

I'm finding it confusing trying to sort out the Laceys, since I have them on both sides.
Hence, the search for the three early 1800 Laceys.

Thanks again.

Lea

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:49 pm 

Milt;

Sorry, forgot to add that the census information was from the 1851 and 1861 England census.

Lea

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 pm 

Milt:

One more: I have Thomas Lacey (no dates) as the father of Richard Lacey (1829-1882) who is the father of my GG George.

Lea

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:28 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Lea:

Here is mention of three early era NL Sea Captains - that may be of interest to you:

Capt. Henry Lacey - vessel; J.M.Lacey Reg#1882101
Capt. James Lacey - vessel; Brothers Reg#1857126
Capt. Thomas Lacy - vessel; Merryn Reg#1877143

Also, this Samuel Lacey is likely related to the early Laceys' at Twillingate.

Samuel Lacey, a native of Dorset, England, died at Twillingate, on November 22, 1889, age 88 yrs., and was buried in St. Peter's Anglican Churchyard Cemetery, on the Twillingate North Island.
Hannah Lacey died at Twillingate, on September 22, 1852, age 42 yrs., and was buried in the same cemetery.

I have seen information on Richard Lacey of Exploits - but maybe you already have that.

I am researching the early settlers of Twillingate, Exploits, and Area. Where exactly in England is the homeland for this lineage of Laceys' ?

Appreciated.

Milt

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 am 

Milt;

I'm trying to get back to England with this family. The earliest records we seem to have are of Henry Lacey's 1815 birth which was in Twillingate. If (when) I find out more, I'll be happy to pass along anything that I have. I am also researching Luffs from Exploits (My Mother's Father, My Grandfather, was Edwin Abel Luff son of George Luff born 14 Oct 1860 in Exploits and Jessie Louisa Chaulk b 12 feb 1867 in Fogo) I have as George's father Francis Luff b 1829 , and d. in Exploits 1902 married to Lavinia Sceviour b. 29 Sep 1827 in Exploits.

Thanks for your info - very interested in doing some research on the boats.

Lea

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:48 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Lea:

Have you seen this piece of information ?

Died - On November 25th, 1888 after a short illness, Samuel LACEY, (TAYLOR) a native of Blandford, Dorset, England, aged 88 years, 70 of which he spent in this country. The deceased removed to Exploits about three months ago to reside with his daughter. His remains will be brought to Twillingate some time through the winter for interment as it was one of his last requests.

I took a cursory look....it appears the homeland for the Laceys' of Twillingate/Exploits could be Blandford Forum, Dorset, England.

Milt

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser Newspaper, May 15, 1886: "The 'Isabel' which left here early in March to prosecute the seal fishery returned last week with 200 seals. The craft was driven Southward in the ice and made for the port of St. John's to await a time home. We are sorry to know that the master, Mr. Thomas LACEY, of Back Harbor, has been ill for the greater part of the time, and is now suffering from an attack of rheumatic fever."

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames