Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Moss Family
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm 

Seeking information on "Moss" Family from James Cove , Bonavista Bay. Especially the family of Abraham and Susanna (Stead) Moss, would to make contact with family members or persons having information on this family.

Post subject: Re: Moss Family
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:07 pm 

Doug,

Your Abraham Moss and Susanna Steed (Stead) probably are the ones married on November 15, 1879 in the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist, in St. John's. If this is the correct couple, you may also have located a distant cousin - yours truly.

Abraham, at age 28, was a resident of James Cove, now Jamestown, Goose Bay, and Susanna Steed (sic?), age 22, was a resident of Salvage. The fathers of both had the given name William. My great-grandparents Silas Taylor and Katherine (sic) Moss were witnesses at their wedding.

Silas Taylor and Katherine (sic) Moss, both of James Cove, married at the same cathedral two days later, November 15, 1879. Susanna Moss (very likely Abraham's new wife) was one of the witnesses. Catherine's father was also noted as a William Moss.

Jane Moss, who married Abram Taylor, is a sister of Catherine and thereby Abraham's sister, also.

I know there were other Moss siblings, because my great-grandmother Catherine spoke of brothers, but I have not been able to locate records online. As to finding their father, there are several William Mosses in Bonavista Bay, but so far I have found but one listed for Keels, where Catherine was born.

There is an Edgecombe marriage in there, also, but I don't know how that fits in with another sibling, either a Moss or a Taylor.

Do you have more information about the Moss family? There are Abraham Moss families in the census records, with various wife names -- Susannah, Susi, etc., but I have no verification about any of them. Are you a descendant of Abraham Moss?

For further exchange of information, you might want to talk more directly with me at nanhiker@aol.com

Nancy B

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames