Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Kearney/Carney
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 am 

Looking for info on the Kearney/Carney family in the Witless Bay area. I currently know VERY LITTLE about these ancestors, so all info is appreciated. Thank you.

caro

Post subject: Re: Kearney/Carney
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 am 

I have a connection with the Kearny family in Witless Bay and some information I have gathered from various sites:

Newfoundland Vital Statistics Death Records Selected for the Ferryland District
1890 - 1935 Part 5
September 15 1900 Witless Bay Not Stated Kearney, Bridget 7 Witless Bay Witless Bay February 7, 1935 Mobile Consumption Kearney, James 65 Mobile Mobile October 1, 1903 Mobile Drowning Kearney, Michael 16 Witless Bay Witless Bay

1921 Census Witless Bay states:
Thomas BURKE M Head Married 1851 June 70 Witless Bay
Margaret BURKE F Wife Married 1856 Oct 65 Witless Bay
John BURKE M Adopted Son Single 1899 Novm 22 Witless Bay
Margaret KEARNEY F Boarder Married 1895 Dec 26 St Johns
Peter KEARNEY M relationship not given Married 1892 Aug 29 Witless Bay

1935 CENSUS Witless Bay FERRYLAND DISTRICT
178 156 BURKE John K Head M S 36
KEARNEY Margaret Sister in law F W 39
CONSTANTINE John Lodger M S 35 b c1900

1945 NL Census - Witless Bay
BURKE, John K, owner, M, S, 46, place of birth Witless Bay, origin Irish, Roman Catholic, Fisherman, Cod Fishery
KEARNEY, Margaret, F, W, 49, St. John's, origin Irish, Roman Catholic, Housekeeper, Housework
NORRIS, Madeline, F, S. Ad. Daughter, 8, Witless Bay, origin English, Roman Catholic, School

The Margaret Kearney above was my great aunt; she was actually born in Pouch Cove and her parents were Ellen & Stephen Constantine. Stephen died tragically in 1903 in a rock fall leaving a widow and 8 children. Ellen moved to St Johns shortly after Stephen's death. I do not know what happened to Margaret's husband. But she and John Burke (who was adopted himself) seem to have done a lot of good work in adopting or looking after waifs and strays. When my grandmother died in 1945 John Burke AKA "Jack" took in my aunt Rosmarie and my Uncle Leo Shea. They received a good education and Leo went on to be a priest, he was the Father Leo Shea who did such good work in St Johns and after whom I beleive Shea Heights is named.

I hope this is of some use to you. If you can throw any light on the connection between the Burke family and the Kearney or if you know anything about Peter who seems to be Margaret's husband I would really appreciate it if you shared it with me.

Sharon Lewison

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:12 am 

Thanks Sharon . I do have most of this info. I will have to go through my research before I can give you any additional info that I have. I will try to get back to you within 2 weeks. Life is a bit hectic now but I wanted to let you know that I read your post and I look forward to e-mailing you later. Thanks again.

caro

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:04 pm 

Sharon, sent you a pm. Hope you got it.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames