Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Garlands from Harbour Grace
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:46 am 

Hello, I am related to Garland's from Harbour Grace, however, other than the census and parish records, I can't find anything else about them. They are not even in Bill Garland's database. I am looking for a George and Sarah (Stokes) Garland. I have info on Sarah, but am trying to figure out George’s parents. Someone suggested a Henry Garland might be George’s father. They had at least 2 boys, James b.1869 and George b.1877. They also had a son named Silas b.1866 who married a Sarah Wheatley and moved to the US. James was my great grandfather. He married Lavinia Nicholas and had 5 surviving children - James, Susannah, Rosa, William and my grandfather George Albert, who moved to Sydney, NS and married my grandmother Annie Laura Peddle. I know they lived on Garland’s Lane and Cochrane St. James worked for the HG boot and shoe factory as a tanner, and eventually opened his own shop.
I cannot find out anything about George who married Sarah. Any help would be appreciated. A cousin thinks that they may have come from Hunslet, Leeds, England. But I'm not sure.
Thanks so much,
Susan

Post subject: Re: Garlands from Harbour Grace
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:53 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I am thinking that George Garland was the son of Harriet E. and John Davis Garland. In the 1871 Directory of Harbour Grace the family is living on Harvey Street. I suspect that they were Methodist.

Post subject: Re: Garlands from Harbour Grace
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:40 pm 

Evening Ed

I trust all is well.

In response to your comment for Sydney 6060

George Bursell Garland born 1849 was the son of John Davis Garland and Sarah Harriet Elizabeth Bursell. George B married Mary Olivia Weeks in St. John's 2 Dec 1880.

Hi from Calgary

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames