Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: James Peckham marrying Harriet Gibbons
 Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 pm 

I have a record for my great grandparent's marriage in Greenspond and living in Cat Harbour (Lumsden) before moving to St John's.
I do not know where James originated. The obvious answer would be England but it's almost as likely that it was Newfoundland.
I've had my DNA tested and I do not match any Peckham's from Rhodes Island in the US.
I have matches with several very distant cousins from the Trinity area. There were many Peckham families in the Trinity area but I cannot find a connection for James.

Secondly, I am guessing that Harriett's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Gibbons. Thomas and Elizabeth were the 2nd family to settle in Cat Harbour, Matthew Gibbons and Mary Ann Street were the first. If Thomas were related to Matthew (highly likely) then he must have come from Devon, England where there are records for Matthew. I have no maiden name for Elizabeth Gibbons.
There were 3 children, Thomas, Charlotte, and Harriett that were probably baptized on Vere Island. There are no parent's names on the baptismal records. It is assumed that their parents were Thomas and Elizabeth. I've been told this was a common occurrence that children were baptized on Vere Island and that their parent's names were not put into the records.

Thanks to all that have read until the end of this message.

Martin Peckham

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames