Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Parsons, Rev. W. Maxwell
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm 

Looking for information on Rev. W. Maxwell Parsons. son of May G. and E.H. Parsons of Newfoundland. this is a copy of the marriage announcement printed in the "Bay Roberts Guardian" 1927.
"Married at Westmoorland Ave.United Church, Toronto, Canada, April 23rd, Miss EDITH DUNCLIFFE, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Duncliffe of Waubaushene, Ont. , to Rev. W. MAXWELL PARSONS, son of Mrs. May G. and the late E.H. Parsons, formerly of Newfoundland"
Maxwell died of tuberculosis, 18 months after the marriage, somewhere in Western Canada, leaving a 6 month old daughter.
Maxwell and edith were maternal grandparents of Alan Holbrook.

Post subject: Re: Parsons, Rev. W. Maxwell
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:05 pm 

any idea on where your PARSONS came from? PARSONS is an extremely common name all over Newfoundland....I might be able to help you out if your Parsons came from the Bonavista North area....

Sorry I don't really have anything on Parsons in Bay Roberts, if yours came from there.

Ian Roberts

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 pm 

Hello Ian, thanks for the response.All the information that I have is contained in my post. I just found the marriage announcement yesterday, when I googled Maxwell. I knew Edith in all her senior years, (she died at age 91). She never said much about her deceased husband, and she never re-married. He was a minister in the United church. I was hoping there might be a death announcement in that same newspaper , where I found the marriage announcement. but I haven't been able to find it.
I would be most greatful for any info, that might help me find even his parents names.
Thank you again, best regards, Judy Holbrook

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 pm 

Sorry, I don't know anything about this family...If I do find something later, I'll let you know...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm 

Thank you.... Judy

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 am 

Judy,

Here's an idea. Since they were married at a United Church in Toronto, it would be logical to assume that he was an ordained minister within the United Church. The United Church Conference Archives for Newfoundland and Labrador is in St. John's. Perhaps if you were to contact them, they would be able to give you some information on Rev. Parsons. it may be a long shot, but it seems the best route for you to go to figure out who he is and where he's from.

I found the following on the NGB website:

The Archives is open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, with the exception of statutory holidays. The building is fully accessible. It is advisable to make an appointment with the archivist.

Some records are restricted for reasons of conservation or of privacy; reference inquiries by telephone and mail are welcomed. Photocopying facilities are available on site, reproduction of photographs may be ordered at cost.

The Conference Archives contains material pertinent to the history of the Methodist (later United) Church in Newfoundland and Labrador. This material includes: baptism, marriage and burial records; private papers and biographies of clergy, minutes of church organizations, records of schools and school boards, financial records, church membership listings dating to the early 19th century and the John Wesley Collection of books, donated by former Premier Joseph R. Smallwood.

The centralization of records held in the Pastoral Charges is an ongoing project. More than 20 of these churches have deposited records dating from 1816. It is planned to microfilm the entire collection, as time and funds permit. A guide to the collection in the Archives is available to researchers upon request. The Archives has a computer system that holds its inventory and the finding aids it has prepared for processed collections.

The following is the mailing address, phone numbers, etc.,
for the United Church of Canada -
Newfoundland & Labrador Conference Archives
ADDRESS:
United Church of Canada
Conference Offices
320 Elizabeth Avenue
St. John's, Newfoundland
A1B 1T9

Tel #: (709) 754-0386
Fax #: (709) 754-8336

E-Mail Address:
unitedchurch@nfld.net

Home page:
United Church of Canada - Newfoundland & Labrador Conference Archives:
http://www.newlabconf.com/

Volunteer Archivists
Cal Best and Linda White

Volunteer Archivist on site as per appointments made. Anyone visiting the Archives
should call ahead to make sure that the Volunteer is in.

I hope this helps you some.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm 

Rev. Lander, Thank you so much for that wealth of information.. now I have a starting point for my journey. I will telephone tomorrow and start the process...
You have been most helpful, I appreciate your efforts, Kindest regards, Judy Holbrook

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am 

I saw your posting tonight, I e-mailed you some information,I'm new to this site and it took .
.a while to figure it out. I remember aunt Edith and Max was my grandmother's brother. If you don't get my e-mail please respond. I have more info .

Gee

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 am 

Rev.William Maxwell Parsons was from Freshwater Carbonear. He was my Grandmother's brother. Her name was Emma Gertrude (Parsons)Noel.Born.Feb.15,1894, Died Jan.18,1994 at the age of 99yrs. The rest of the family:Edward-Apr.4,1892---July,3,1911 (drowned at Boston). Frederick Bradshawborn -Nov.28,1895 WAsdeaf. Lailia Mae-Jan.29,1902, Gordon Parsons Apr. 10,1905 he lived in Toronto most of his life and his son still lives in Ont. Maxwell's mother was Mae Gordon Pike from Bristol's hope Nl. Ican get more info later.I hope this helps. To look for his birth you might try Crocker"s cove Carbonear, Or Freshwater ,Carbonear or it might be listed under Bay de Verde as that was the district years ago.

Gee(noel)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am 

Thank you, thank you.. you are an angel..... sincerely, Judy Holbrook

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames