Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Renews Cappahayden Fowler famly
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 am 

Looking for info info n Samuel Fowler family.

Post subject: Re: Renews Cappahayden Fowler famly
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:15 pm 

There were a few Sam Fowlers in the area, the first born about 1805. A few other Samuels born in later years.

Post subject: Re: Renews Cappahayden Fowler famly
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:39 am 

Here is one for you. This fellow was my 3rd great uncle. His sister Frances (Fanny) was born Oderin 1837 and married James Butler: She was my great great grandmother.

"1847: Born at Oderin on 9 October, 1847 and baptised in the Methodist Church on October 20, 1847 by S. Sprague, Samuel Fowler, son of parents William Fowler and Patience Fowler fisherman of Oderin, no witnesses on these documents. Image 41/81.
The reference is: Baptisms: Methodist Church, Parish of Burin 1833 - 1847
Burin District, Page 1, Copy 002
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS OF THE METHODIST CHURCH IN THE DISTRICT OF BURIN

W. H. Macabe, Registering Officer

LDS FILM NO. 2133921 This record has now been digitized and is available on www.familysearch.org.
Citation: NL Vital Statistics 1753-1893, Burin, Burin Methodist Births 1833-1860, Vol 108, Image 1 of 81."

I've always thought that some of my Butler and Fowler (and Cheek and Plank) ancestors might have moved over to the Avalon Peninsula late in the 1800s. One clue to that is that my great grandfather Thomas Foster (son of Thomas Foster and Mary Morrissey of St. John's) was brought to Renews to be baptised by Fr. Walsh. And, one of the godparents was a Fowler. This boy grows up in St. John's then marries Lizzie Butler daughter of Frances Fowler and they move to Cambridge, MA in the mid 1890s.

"1878: His baptism record is transcribed on NFLD Roots for Holy Apostles parish Renews RC Baptism Records Part I (A - F) 1878-1905
1878, June 15 (Newfoundland christenings are typically a few days after birth)
Foster, Thomas Joseph
son of Foster, Thomas
and mother Morrissey, Mary
witnesses John Fowler & Kate Berrigan
John Walshe presiding priest {note the Walsh(e)} . They could have been in Renews because Mary Morrissey was connected to the Avalon Peninsula Morrisseys; or because they were having the babies baptised by a Walsh relative who was the presiding priest; or both. There is confirmed evidence of family connection between the Morrissey and Walsh families in Newfoundland.}"

Cameron Chandler

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames