Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: MANY SURNAMES CBN to NDB
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:14 pm 

Hi all,
I was born in Northern Bay in 1936. I've been collecting NL genealogy for over 30 years and have a VERY LARGE database. It's comprised mainly of folks from Conception Bay North, Trinity Bay, Bonavista Bay and Notre Dame Bay. And of course a ton of townies.

If you are researching families in those areas, let me know. I may be able to help.

Matt Mullaly
Ottawa, ON

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not post your e-mail address in the open forum

Post subject: Re: MANY SURNAMES CBN to NDB
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:15 am 

Would you have any Sullivans in your database? Specifically Michael Sullivan, probably born in St. John's, February 15, 1853. His father was a sea captain, Patrick Sullivan, who probably emigrated from Ireland. Patrick was married to an Ann Nolan, also born in Ireland. Michael Sullivan may also have had a sister Kathleen. He emigrated to Vancouver, B.C. in 1907.

Thanks.

Kathy Jones (Vancouver Island, British Columbia)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:55 pm 

Hello,

Does your list contain Fleming ( Femming ) and Walsh ? in and arounf the Bay Roberts / Burin areas?

Thanks..

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:07 am 

Hello;

I am looking for any relatives of the Murphy family from Jobs Cove, NL and surrounding areas. In particular descendants of Thomas Patrick Murphy born dec 1904.

cheers,

Denis V. Murphy

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm 

I'm looking for ANY info on Harts, Bucklers, Cannings, Pikes.
Tnx, DGH

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:32 pm 

Matt.:
My fraternal grandfather was Henry Charles Hart, of William and Louise (Belbin),of George Hart and Christianna (Young) I Think. I believe all the Hart's were from Joseph Hart and Mary (Bston) f English Harbour. That's where I'm looking for confirmation, or oherwise.
Henry married Hannah Buckler, of Jesse and Jemima (Harris) Jesse's parents were William Buckler, of Northern Bay, and Ann Harris. Williams father was John Buckler of Northern Bay.
(Joseph Hart and Mary (beston) of English Harbour)
Would appreciate anything you can contribute to these two branches.
We'll look at the other names later.
TNX.
Don

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 pm 

Hi, I'm looking for Ledrews. Michael, my grandfather (b.1905?), his parents, Peter & Jane. If you can help that would be great.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:49 am 

I am looking for information on my great grandfather's family. I seem to have a hit a block with his mom.
From what I know, my g grandfather ROBERTS,John was born in Spaniard's Bay in either 11 Nov 1882 or 1886.
His mother was ROBERTS, Selina who came to the USA from Newfoundland in 1901. She is of Canada/English descent as well. The USA census list her 1st marriage at the age of 14. This makes sense with the year of birth being 1882 for my g grandfather.
Selina's DOB is abt 1868. She had two other sons ROBERTS, Archibald and ROBERTS, William and possibly a daughter Sarah. She then came to the USA and met a man named PALMER and married him and had another son.

John was in the Canadian Overseas army and was injured and recovered in England where he met my grandmother Kathleen and they eventually settled in Lynn, Massachusetts.

If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction to search for Spaniard's Bay records, I would be most appreciative. I am afraid my research is going to stop with Selina.

Thanks again have a great day
Tracy

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:50 pm 

Greeting! My name is Terrance ( McDonald) MacDonald, from St. John's. My G.G.Grandfather was James M(a)cDonald, who settled in Western Bay during the late 1700's. Anecdotal family information suggests that he arrived there from the coast of Scotland after a very brief stint in the Royal Navy. He apparently was taken by a Royal Navy press gang from his village and ended up patrolling the coast of Newfoundland, particularly in the CBN area. At first opportunity he jumped ship & eventually found his way to Western Bay.
The family line reads: JAMES - WILLIAM - SAMUEL - THOMAS - Terrance.
It is my understanding that, during the mid to late 1800's, as a result of very poor fishery in the CBN area for many seasons, there was a large migration of Samuel's siblings, spouses, in-laws & children from CBN to the Notre Dame Bay Area. They, apparently included Kennedys & Bouzannes.
Any information on these NDB immigrants would be most appreciated!
THanx in advance for you kind assistance.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Terrance:

I don't have ready access to my genealogy files as I recently dismantled my computer in preparation for a relocation to outside the province.

I recall though, there was a Ed MacDonald, who relocated from Conception Bay to Black Island, Notre Dame Bay during the early 1800's. Ed MacDonald registered a fishing room at Black Island circa 1815. I have the exact date of the registration in my files. It appears that Ed MacDonald was one of the first settlers at Black Island. There were two or three other persons that registered fishing rooms there around the same time.

Milt

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 am 

Hi Matt

My family comes mainly from the NDB area some of the names I have been researcing are Pearce , Osmond , Brett, Rideout, Roberts, Knight, Dalley, Richards(this branch moved to ontario), Gidge, Hamlyn, Lear,and Duder just to name a few.

Any information you have would be very appreciated and I will only be to glad to share anything I may have.

Macduder

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm 

Hi Matt,

Do you have any Cranes from Upper Island Cove and/or Andrews or Paynes from Harbour Grace?

Thanks
Laura

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 pm 

The names that would interest me from those areas would be: Osbourne ; Stockley ; Laite ; Ellis ; Lopez : Sinclair ; Short ; Andrews Any info on any of these would be appreciated

Marie

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm 

Would you have any info on surname French. Possibly Moses French born late 1800's, who moved to Cape Breton . His wife was Mary Ann Dobbin from Whitbourne. He may have been from carbonear or Conceptions Bay. His father may have been Charles a Shoemaker. Thanks Donna Q

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 am 

Hi..
I am looking for any information on HOWELL, William James married to Mary Ann??? around 1903?? Had 5 children William Thomas(my grandfather), Stephen, Llewelyn, Walter and Mabel.
Stephen had two sons, Barry and Billy (would now be in their 50's).

They are from Badger's Quay. They are listed in the 1935 census and in the 1945 census I believe that their name was misspelled HOUNSELL(All of the names and dates match the 1935 census). I am trying to find as many generations of family as I can. My grandfather emigrated to NY in the late 1920's and met my grandmother Charlotte BLACKMORE who was also from NL, there. I have the Blackmore family tree going back to the 1700's in NL. It's just the Howell side that we have hit a wall.

Thanks for your assisstance.

Terry Howell Coons

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 am 

Hello

I am researching the Marshall, Hopkins, George, Sooley, Pugh, Pottle families. They would be from the Flat Rock/Freshwater/Carbonear and Heart's Content areas.

I appreciate any data on these families.

Rockpiper

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:51 pm 

HI Matt

I am researching The Whiteway family of Western Bay. Do you have any information to share? My ggrandfather was James married Sarah Dean. As far as I can tell his parents were George Whiteway and Emma J Ellsworth. Georges Parents were Nicholas and Mary Whiteway. Nicholas father William was one of the 1st settlers of Western Bay.

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 pm 

hi mat

in your database - do you have anything on the Stansbury Family of st. john's newfoundland

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm 

Hi Matt
Would you have any Kelland, French, George, Tucker, Green, Fifield or Loder in your collection of names ?
Keep in touch
Barb

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:52 pm 

hi matt from chilliwack brittish do you have any caulfields from st.johns to kilbride to any southern shore or any town that had a caulfield family name thanks dean

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:50 pm 

Hi Matt,
My great grandmother was Sarah Jane Russell, born in Bay Roberts Sept 1868. From the death record I have here in Boston it says her father was Abraham. She supposedly had 5 brothers who were fisherman, and some sisters. Her family disowned her for joining the Salvation Army so I am at a loss for information of her childhood, parents and further back. Do you have anything in your database?

From what records I have gone through for the Anglican Church and Church of England....there seems to be two Abrahams....and several Russells who could be siblings but not enough records to help me decipher.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Diane I

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:41 am 

Hi Matt:

It would be great if you could add something to my research!

David Spencer born (when) in the UK (where), immigrated to Newfoundland.
David married Elizabeth Roberts (born April 15, 1843 to Joseph & Ann Roberts, I have their death dates) in Brigus United Methodist Church November 17, 1860 .
Three Children - James John, September 9, 1865; Abram, August 24, 1863; Ann Eliza, August 14, 1861.

Elizabeth (Wife of David) remarried Oration Roberts September 18, 1873 (in Brigus). David must of passed away sometime between 1865 & 1873 (can't find anything on his death).

Elizabeth (Mother) is named on Abram's marriage certificate as residing in Montreal in 1890 when Abram married Evangeline Reid. When did Elizabeth pass away?

Evangeline Reid born Sibley Cove, Newfoundland August 10, 1866 to David Reid and Johanna Edgecomb. Birth was registered in St. Johns.

Evangeline (d. November 19,1959) & Abram Spencer (d. July 18,1931) are my ggrandparents.

Hope you can help fill in some blanks!

Queenie :)
Nanaimo, BC

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:09 pm 

Unfortunately it looks as if Matt hasn't been on in about a year. Wish someone else could help everyone.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm 

Wow, I was going to ask if anyone heard from him and was making my own list.
Does anyone know him? Can Admin contact him?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:29 am 

I was wondering if you have any info on the coole name in Bonavista. I am especially interested in Joseph Coole & his wife Mary A. Little and their children. I know of 3 Harry Little Coole b.1896 who moved to Massachusetts & became a minister & a teacher, Annette who died in 1905 at the age of 5 and Gladys Annetteb. 1905? who moved to Nova Scotia & married my grandfather in 1928. I know there was another son who died in his 20's maybe and I don't know when Joseph & Mary died. I would also like to know who Mary A. Little's parents were?
Any help would be appreciated.

Linda Kelly

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm 

Hi,
I'm am researching the name Hollett from the Trinity Bay area...If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated...Thanx for your time...Pam

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:04 am 

Hi would you have any info on the Neil/Neal families in Bonavista Bay??

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:05 pm 

Hi Matt Mullay I am Searching for information on O,Flaherty and Hedderson from cbn. My greatgrandparents were Patrick O,Flaherty and Nora Hedderson.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 pm 

2matt wrote:
Hi all,
I was born in Northern Bay in 1936. I've been collecting NL genealogy for over 30 years and have a VERY LARGE database. It's comprised mainly of folks from Conception Bay North, Trinity Bay, Bonavista Bay and Notre Dame Bay. And of course a ton of townies.

If you are researching families in those areas, let me know. I may be able to help.

Matt Mullaly
Ottawa, ON

Hi Matt

Looking for Bursey of Lower Island Cove
Bob
Bob

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:05 pm 

You still around Matt ?

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames