Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Jenkins/Alcock Surnames
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:53 pm 

Hello!

I have been researching the Jenkins and Alcocks of the Harbour Grace area. I have some information to provide, but please understand, that the information I give is built off DNA matching, as well as actual records in some instances, assuming I've matched the right records with the right people. I am struggling to connect the dots in a more concrete fashion, if at all possible.

Samuel John Jenkins married Elizabeth Alcock in 1818, Harbour Grace. A death record (Everett MA) has been found from their son Robert Jenkins, indicating that Samuel John Jenkins was born in England. However, I have been unable to verify any Samuel John Jenkins migration between his supposed birth (1793) and his 1818 marriage. My father longed believed he, or the Jenkins at some point, came from Bristol England, but I have not found anything to verify it.

Samuel's wife, Elizabeth Alcock, was listed at the time of her son Roberts death, as Elizabeth Olcott, born in Newfoundland. She too, was born about 1793 based on her death info from Harbour Grace NF. Based on DNA matching and also the will of Mansel Alcock (wife Mary Gifford-Alcock?), who mentions his grandson in document as "Thomas Jenkins", another child of Eliz Alcock-Jenkins and husband Samuel.

In all, Samuel J. Jenkins & Elizabeth Alcock are believed to have had the following children:

Grace Amelia (or just Amelia) Jenkins-DeWitt 1820-1899
Theresa Jenkins-Mortimer 1822-?
William Jenkins 1824-1842
Thomas Jenkins 1826-1864
*John Jenkins 1829-1886 (wife: Margaret Walsh-Johnson) (I descend from)
Horatio Jenkins 1831-1864
Samuel Jenkins Jr. 1834-1852
Robert Jenkins 1837-1909

There are other Jenkins in the Harbour Grace area listed during these time periods, but I have yet to know if they correlate with my Jenkins?

All were born in Harbour Grace Newfoundland. Their baptismal dates do not match their birth dates, however. According to records, their baptismal came many years after birth, almost teenage years. I found the majority of this info, here on this website! thank you for that BTW!

The "Mansel Alcock" name can be traced back to York County Maine, as well as Connecticut, Massachusetts and Maryland. I have no idea if any of them are these Alcocks up in Newfoundland, the Newfoundland Alcocks could very well have come from some place entirely different. Many have incorrectly tied my aforementioned potential Mansel Alcock from Salem MA to Newfoundland, but that Mansel is interred here in New Hampshire, where I reside. The only other Mansel I have on record comes from Maryland and I have not found been able to verify Maryland Mansel ever came up to Newfoundland.

I have researched the folklore tale of the Jenkins/Melford (Milford?), but I find no ties genetically to that surname, or the Whiteway surname in any strong fashion, though there are some. Any Whiteway DNA matches come through the Noseworthy clan, which the Jenkins don't tie into until further down, at my great grandmother Keziah Noseworthy-Jenkins (1867-1946) and husband Samuel Jenkins (1861-1920). They too, were born in Harbour Grace.

Thats it, thats all I know! If anything can be added to this to help me along, I would be grateful for that! thanks for your time! My father, John Jenkins, turns 90 in March, so I am "hoping" that for his birthday, I might be able to finalize his family story, assuming it can be done! --Scott A. Jenkins

For Samuel John Jenkins:

Name
Samuel J. Jenkins
Event Type
Death
Birth Date
abt 1793
Death Date
Abt 1853
Death Place
Harbour Grace, Conception Bay, Newfoundland
Age at Death
Reference Date 1
23 Apr 1853
Source
Gazette (Royal Newfoundland Gazette) 1807-; Express (Newfoundland Express) 1851-1876
Notes
Deceased was Samuel J. Jenkins, blacksmith.

For Elizabeth Alcock-Jenkins:

She is listed in your deaths for Harbour Grace (20 oct 1844), wife of Samuel.

Post subject: Re: Jenkins/Alcock Surnames
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:24 pm 

The family of Mansel Alcock and Mary (Gifford?) is recorded in the records of St. Paul's Anglican Church Harbour Grace, Newfoundland.

Their children are:

Thomas Gifford Alcock bpt privately 13 Dec. 1798, and publicly 27 Dec. 1798
Henry Alcock bpt. 24 May 1801
Ann Alcock bpt. 22 August 1803
James Alcock bpt. 31 March 1806 at 4 weeks old
Martha Alcock b 21 March 1809, bpt 25 Nov. 1810
Mary Alcock b 9 Sept. 1811, bpt 6 Oct. 1811
Frances Alcock bpt. 29 May 1814
Robert Alcock b 2 April 1817, bpt 7 Dec. 1817

There are other Alcock families in the parish at about the same time frame. Whether they are connected to Mansel needs further research.
You can find this info at: sites.rootsweb.com/~cannf/index.html

Trust you find this useful

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames