Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Al I know of Patrick Ryan can anyone add to this?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 pm 

Patrick Ryan born c 1748 in Ireland, some say Waterford, some say Clonmel ,Tipperary. I don;t know. It is said he first started coming to Newfoundland as a seasonal fisherman to Ryder's Harbour, on Random Island in Trinity bay. Some say that when he stopped going back and forth to Ireland he moved to Salmon Cove, now known as Champsney, where he opened a fishery there, got married and started a family. But I can't find a record of that information. According to Dr John Mannion, this Patrick Ryan born c 1748 was literate when he came from Ireland. He states he has his signature on several documents and that the was interested in getting a constable appointed. I have not seen the signature of Patrick Ryan born c 1748, but I think Dr Mannion is good for his word on this.

In the later part of the 1770s, perhaps 1778, Patrick moved his fishery to King's Cove. King's Cove is about 15 miles or so directly north of Trinity. It is said he discovered it fur trapping in the winter. I am wondering if he moved to get away from the pirating that may have been goin fon in the Grand Banks as a result of the American Revolution going on at that time?

King's Cove is small. In the book by E James Long, it stated that by 1790 or so, the population of King's Cove was only 30 people.

When Patrick Ryan ,born c 1748, arrived in King's Cove, he built his fishing room east of the Alyward room. Patrick's fishing room number is 40 on the 1805/06 fishing room census. At that time, King's Cove only had 10 fishing rooms: Number 32, Rays room was built in 1801, Number 33 Welshe's room, built in 1800, Number 34, Sullivan's room, built on the North side of the narrow Cove, in 1785. So he was one of the earlier pioneers to King's Cove. He probably came to King;s Cove around the same time as Patrick Ryan. Number 35 was Dicks room built in 1802. Number 36 Brown and Handcock's room built in 1804. But the Handcock family was there before the Ryans and the Sullivans. Number 37, The Handcock room originally built by the family and they got it through inheritance so this would be at least the second generation of Handcocks owning this room. Number 38, The Green and Handcock room built in 1804. Number 39 , Alyward's Room was built by the family and they owned it by right of inheritance like the Handcocks. So by 1805/06 at least the second generation of Alywards in King's Cove was still owning Room 39. Number 40 was owned by Patrick Ryan. It doesn't say when he built his room but since he moved his fishery to King's Cove from Salmon Cove in the late 1770s. I imagine he built it before the Sullivans or at least at the same time as the Sullivans. The Sullivans built on the North side of the Cove and the Ryans built on the south side. Number 41 is Green's Room and it doesn't give the date that he built it. But he did not inherit it so he was not likely there before Ryan. At the bottom of this is a chart of the fishing rooms with more description. But basically Handcock, Alyward, Sullivan and Ryan were some of the earliest settlers in King's Cove, with the Handcocks and Alywards probably being there at least a generation before the Ryans and the Sullivans.

Patrick Ryan of c 1748 wife was Mary. Some say she was a Handcock, others say she was an Alyward. But I don't think anyone can prove it either way, if you can, please let me know. I suppose since the Handcocks and the Alywards were there first many people would presume that is where Patrick Ryan met his wife in this very sparsely populated, remote fishing village. But, if he moved to King's Cove already married, with family in-tow, then I don;t know where that conclusion came from. Salmon Cove and Ryders Cove were also sparsely populated at that time. I wonder if she came with him from Ireland? DId he meet her in Trinity? Some have speculated she was a native. I just don;t know and I am hoping someone could share information on this.

Patrick and Mary Ryan of King's Cove had four sons and two daughters that I know of. If he they had more please share that information.

1Patrick, named after his Dad, was born c 1780 in King;s Cove died Feb 5, 1856. He is buried in Kings Cove and has a will online on this site. Patrick did not stay in King;s Cove. He married Elizabeth Turner of Keels and set up his fishery there. He has a headstone in the RC cemetery. It was moved there from its original place by the RC Church in Kings Cove. His wife, Elizabeth, also has a headstone there. She was born in 1785 in Keels and died at age 67, before her husband died.

2. James, born c 1782 in King;s Cove, married Mary Long in 1803. They had children, but I do not know what happened to him if they stayed in King's Cove or not. If you know what happened to him, please share

3. Mary ,named after her mother. born 1785 married John Ducey from Keels and moved to Keels.

4. Thomas, born 1789 in Kings Cove, he married Ellen Fennel and had about ten kids. He took over his father's fishery and room 40 in King;s Cove by at least 1825, according to the map of the Cove in E James Long's Book. He also has a will online. The King's Cove room 40 was passed down his line until it went into the Rickett family via marrying one of the Ryan girls. The Ricketts sold the property in the 1930 from what I understand. If anyone has more information please share. This is what I understand what happened to it.

5. Johanna, birth date unknown to me. She married John Turner ,of Keels, around 1815. So three of Patrick's and Mary's kids married spouses from Keels and moved there. John Turner died after they had several children and she remarried a Walsh and moved to St Brenden's Island.

6. David.. He also has a will on line. from what I can tell he never married but stayed in King;s Cove. If anyone has any more information about him I would appreciate the information.

Patrick and Mary may have had more children, but these are the only ones I know of. Patrick Ryan born 1748 died in 1827 and had a headstone in the RC Cemetey next to his wife's and children, You can get the pictures on line on this site. His wife Mary died before him in 1820.

It is interesting to note where all of Patrick's and Mary's off spring moved to and which ones stayed. I am hoping one day to get definite proof of where he came from in Ireland and What his wife's Mary" maiden is. If anyone can add to the above storyline I will appreciate it. Also if anyone knows where to get the storylines for the other King's Cove pioneers that too would be appreciated: the Alywards, the Hancocks, the Sullivans etc
2 Ray's room King's Cove Jas. Ray, King's Cove Built by the claimant 1801 Jas. Ray, King's Cove In right of and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends along the landwash one hundred yards Et. and Wt., bounded on the Et. by unoccupied ground, not calculated for the extention of the fishery, and on the Wt. by room No. 33.
33 Welshe's room King's Cove Thos. Welsh, King's Cove Built by the claimant 1800 Thos. Welsh, King's Cove In right of building and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends one hundred yards along the landwash Et. and Wt., bounded on the Et. by room No. 32 and on the Wt. by unoccupied ground.
34 Sullivan's room Do. Jas. Sullivan, King's Cove Clear'd & built by claimant 20 years Jas. Sullivan, King's Cove In right of original pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends along the landwash one hundred yards Et. & Wt., bounded on both sides by unoccupied ground.
35 Dick's room Do. Wm. Dick, King's Cove Built by the claimant 1802 Wm. Dick, King's Cove In right of building and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends along the landwash Et. and Wt. fifty yards, bounded on the Et. by unoccupied ground and on the Wt. by room No. 36.
36 Brown & Handcock's room Do. Wm. Brown & Henry Handcock, King's Cove Built by the claimants 1804 Wm. Brown & Henry Handcock, King's Cove In right of building and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends along the landwash Et. and Wt. sixty five yards, bounded on the Et. by room No. 35 and on the Wt. by room No. 37.
37 Handcock's room Do. Richd. Handcock, King's Cove Originally built by claimant's family Richd. Handcock, King's Cove In right of inheritance " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends along the landwash E and Wt. seventy yards to a pond, then So. seventy yards along the harbour beach, bounded on the E by room No. 36, and on the Wt. by a pond, and on the So. by Edward Green's flake.
38 Green's flake On the beach, King's Cove Edwd. Green & Richd. Handcock, King's Cove Built by the claimants 1804 Ed. Green & R. Handcock, King's Cove In right of building and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 A single flake extending along the landwash beach No. and So. seventy yards, constitutes the whole of the annex'd number. It is built for curing fish brought from the North shore, is bounded on the No. by room No. 37 and on the So. by room No. 39.
39 Aylward's room Do. Jas. Aylward & Wm. Aylward, King's Cove Originally built by claimant's family Jas. & Wm. Aylward, King's Cove In right of inheritance " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, extends No. & So. thirty yards, then Et. and Wt. to any distance the proprietor choses. It is bounded on the No. by Green's flake, on the So. by room No. 40, and on the Wt. by woods.
40 Ryan's room Do. Patk. Ryan, King's Cove Built by the claimant after having been many years vacated by a former proprietor Patk. Ryan, King's Cove In right of building and pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage. It is situated upon broken ground on a hill, bounded on the No. by room No. 39, on the SE by room No. 41 and on the SW by the open country.
41 Green's room King's Cove South side Edwd. Green, King's Cove Built by the claimant Edd. Green, King's Cove In right of original pofsefsion " 3dAugt1805 This room has one stage, stands upon hilly and broken ground, is bounded on the NW by room No. 40, and on the SE by inaccefsible rocks which admit no extention of the fishery.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames