Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: The Burry Name of Newell's Island
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 am 

Although it has become cliché to research family history, I wanted to express that in my case, I knew absolutely nothing of my mother's side of the family and was quite surprised to learn that my grandfather had been born in Newfoundland in 1903 on what is now an uninhabited location known as Newell's Island.

Compounded by the lapse of time and family disconnect it has been a challenge and a mystery tracking down family members. Also, the repeat of family names such as Matilda, Oliver, etc. becomes confusing without dates.

The one common denominator is the hard and almost poverty-stricken way-of-life that my great grandparents must have endured which is why I would like to express to all Newfoundlanders and your ancestors my sincere admiration that I have developed during my research!

Last October I spent two-weeks traveling your ruggedly beautiful province and, although, I was not able to specifically visit Greenspond, I did travel from coast to coast including Labrador.

I can certainly understand the expression: "there is homesickness and then there is Newfoundlander homesickness".

Post subject: Re: The Burry Name of Newell's Island
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:03 pm 

Hi,
My name is Reg Woodland and I was born in Greenspond. My grandmother was Priscilla Burry. In the information that I have, there was a Samuel Burry who was her cousin and was born to Zacheus and Johanna (Porter) Burry in 1093 on Newells Island. He had 6 other siblings. Edward, Mathilda, Annie, Oliver, Harold and Clara.

Post subject: Re: The Burry Name of Newell's Island
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm 

RWWoodland wrote:
Hi,
My name is Reg Woodland and I was born in Greenspond. My grandmother was Priscilla Burry. In the information that I have, there was a Samuel Burry who was her cousin and was born to Zacheus and Johanna (Porter) Burry in 1903 on Newells Island. He had 6 other siblings. Edward, Mathilda, Annie, Oliver, Harold and Clara. (Correcting Year of Birth)

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames