Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Cole Family (Bonavista)
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:13 pm 

Can anyone help with my research into a Cole family from Bonavista? My starting point is William Cole born in Newfoundland in 1817 and (I presume his younger brother) Thomas Cole born 1823 who became shipmasters in the second half of the 19th century being involved in North Atlantic crossings. I have a letter dating from 1912 by a 'John Roper' from Bonavista, who gives a rough account of their history. Roper writes that William Cole owned a property in Bonavista that he had bought from his father, a schoolteacher called Benjamin Cole, who had got into debt. After William and Thomas Cole qualified as shipmasters in the 1860s in Cork, Ireland they seemed to have moved away from Newfoundland and had arranged for their sister a 'Mrs Joseph Clarke' to run the property for fishing lets. At the time of John Roper's letter (1912) the place was managed by her daughter - a 'Mrs Fisher'. There is also reference to a nephew of William Cole - a man named Cuff - had built on some of property. it would be great if anyone has come across this family in their searches. Best wishes, David (living in London)

Post subject: Re: Cole Family (Bonavista)
 Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:07 pm 

I noticed your post and found the following info concerning the Cole family of Bonavista:

Benjamin Cole, Planter (settler) and his wife Elizabeth resided in Bonavista, Newfoundland and produced the following children all born in that town:

William b 9 Nov 1817, bpt 21 Dec 1817
Benjamin bpt 25 April 1819
James 20 Nov 1821, bpt 28 Dec 1821
Elizabeth b 16 Sept 1823, bpt 10 Dec 1823
Mary bpt 29 Nov 1827
Jane bpt 1 Oct 1832
Thomas bpt 20 April 1835
Jemima bpt 20 June 1836
Ann Lewis bpt 20 June 1836

All Children were baptized Wesleyan Methodist .

Benjamin's daughter Jemima (spinster) married Joseph Clarke (bachelor) Fisherman at
Bonavista 18 May 1869. witnesses to the wedding were: John Ford and Susan Saint.
Joseph & Jemima had a daughter Mary b 16 April 1874. There may be other children from this union?

There is an earlier record of Cole family in Bonavista. This family may be the parents and siblings of Benjamin (Planter):

Thomas Cole married Susannah Airs (today may be Ayers ) 2 Jan 1794 at Bonavista.
Among their children were:

Elizabeth bpt 5 Jan 1797
Sarah bpt 5 Jan 1797
Richard bpt 4 Jan 1799

No mention of any other children (haven't found Benjamin in this group as yet) but this may be his parents and siblings. No conclusions just possibilities. In the right time frame generationally.

Other Cole weddings in the approximate time frame are:

Sarah Cole married Thomas Clouter 24 Nov 1812
Richard Cole married Mary Hobbs 30 March 1817
George Cole married Ann Keats 11 Nov 1819
Charles Cole married Hannah Chaffey 26 Dec 1820
William Cole married Jane Keats 6 July 1823

One last piece of information which may (or may not) be of assistance
Susannah Airs had a sister Mary who married William Wiltshire at Bonavista 11 Dec 1796

I have no connection to this family (my Bonavista roots are with the Etsell family) however I saw your post and checked another web site that I have found very useful in my genealoogy research. You may wish to try it : FamilySearch.org.
Trust you find this information useful. Best of Luck

Post subject: Re: Cole Family (Bonavista)
 Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:20 am 

Many thanks for this detailed and helpful reponse,
Best wishes,
David

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames