Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Williams
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm 

I am looking for information regarding Martin Williams; he died in 1910 or 1911. He was married to Lucinda (Lucy) Goodyear. Halls Bay, Newfoundland. Thank you for any direction.

Post subject: Re: Williams
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 pm 

Hi Millie,

There was a Martin Williams that died in Springdale on October 20, 1910 from Heart Disease, so I expect this is your ancestor. He was noted as age 51 (so, born about 1859) and that he was born in Sheet Harbour, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

I don’t know if you have located their marriage record, but the date was Aug 2 1882. They were both single and residing Halls Bay, he was 28 and she 18. The ages don’t strictly line up, but this was common in the record-keeping of the day. Their names were noted as Martin Williamson and Lucy Margaret Goodyear, and that they were married in “Sulian’s Cove”, Green Bay. Martin Williamson was a witness, so I suspect that must have been his father? Richard Goodyear was also a witness.

I see records for only 3 children of Martin and Lucy — Martha Jane Aug 15 1906, Janet B May 1903 and Finley James Edward Sep 8 1905. I also think there was a son Martin born in the late 1890’s. It appears that Lucy remarried a Charles Wimbleton after Martin’s death. You might already know this...?

Hope this is helpful.

Happy hunting!
Carol

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames