Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Harty from Broad Cove, Bonavista bay
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:17 pm 

Hello All,

I am posting again asking if anyone has any knowledge of the Harty family of Broad Cove from the early 1800s

My grandmother was Mary Ellen Harty, born 1881, to Catherine Ryan and William Harty of Broad Cove.

I know Catherine Ryan's mother was Ellen Dixon, born Sept 20, 1820, and that her mother was Catherine Condon who has records of being in King Cove as early as 1816. She was also known as kitty Condon.

But I am looking for William Harty's father and mother. He would have been born circa 1830 to 1845. There is a Michael harty who married Mary Keough in Broad Cove in 1830 and they had a bunch of kids but I can;t see any William born to them. They had a James born in 1831 and a James born in 1838 and I have wondered if the James of 1838 had a middle of name of William and then perhaps he would have been my great grandfather's father.However, I have no concrete evidence and that is just pure speculation. It is hard to believe that in the early 1800s there could be two harty families with a population of under 200, and yet Michael Harty may have had a brother or he may have had a child out of wed lock? Any way anyone with connections to a harty family in Broad Cove, if they can shed some light on their family history that would be helpful. I am also trying to find where in Ireland the Harty family came from? My grandmother said her family was from County Cork, Ireland. Any harty out their with Broad Cove connection, can you share where your Irish origin was from. I do understand that after the mid 1800, must people born in King Cove and broad Cover were born in Newfoundland. But I am hoping someone has a history of where the harty family of Broad cove form the early 1800s were from.

Thanks for reading this and for any clues you might be able to share with me

Blessings

Post subject: Re: Harty from Broad Cove, Bonavista bay
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Have you checked the Basilica records for William's baptism? Some of the Broad Cove people wintered in St. John's. There is a second set of baptismal records for the Broad Cove which is not at the provincial archives. Have you checked with the Catholic archives in Grand Falls?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:34 pm 

Hello Edward,

I did email Grandfalls to a lady named Denise. She said they will look for the records when they have time. So I am hoping they will find something.

I decided to make a flow chart of all the Hartys living in Broad Cove from 1790 to 1920, hoping something will jump out at me.There is the James Leo Harty House in Broad Cove. This James Leo harty was born in 1893 and states that his great grandfather william harty was one of the first settlers in Broad Cove in the late 1700s or early 1800s, so I am trying to collect all the data and see if I can trace him back to see if I can make any connections. Even the 1928 Voter lists have hartys connected to the earliest hartys. I am hoping the flow chart will help. One person suggested that my William harty may not be related at all to the Hartys of Broad Cove, ie Michael harty and Mary Keough. It was suggested maybe he visited from another out post and then stayed,kind of like the original William Harty of the 1800s. I am hoping Grand Falls come through with some clues. I will let you know if anything comes from Grand Falls. I have been through the online records from the Basilica several times. They have some marriages of a Thomas Harty of 1801 from Lismore and another Michael Harty marriage in 1810 also from Lismore. But I can make a connection. I will review the baptisms again.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 am 

Grand Falls came through. It took them three hours of going through records but indeed there was a William Harty born to Michael Harty and Mary Keough in Broad Cove on January 10th 1841. So I am glad to have that confirmed. Now that I have his birthdate and record that he is the son of Michael Harty and Mary Keough. Now I am trying to find a record of his death. He married Catherine Ryan in I think 1873 in Broad Cove, AKA Duntara. Catherine Ryan Harty,of John Ryan and Ellen Dixon, died in 1892, interned in King Cove. She was in her forties. At the time of her death her children became orphans, so William Harty must have died before 1892 but I can't find any records to say where, how or when he died. He left behind four children, three boys and a girl. I know his wife is buried in King Cove RC cemetery and I am assuming he is buried there too unless he was lost at sea. But there appears to be no record of his internment there or when he died.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames