Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: White and McCray / McRae
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:18 am 

Hi

I wonder if anyone who has a copy of E.R. Seary's "Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland" to hand would mind checking it for any listings for two surnames - White and McCray / McRae or similar variations. I'm looking for leads on whether either of these families might have a history in Newfoundland in the late 1700s / early 1800s.

I am particularly interested in any possible information on Catherine White - born in the late 1790s or up to 1815. She was the mother of a Samuel McRae (born 1834 in Prince Edward Island). At the time of the 1891 census, Samuel is still in PEI and his mother is recorded in the census as having been born in Newfoundland.

And according to the Massachusetts Death record for Samuel's sister, Sarah McRae (born PEI 1824, died Massachusetts 1910) her and Samuel's father (also Samuel) was born in Newfoundland. However, Samuel junior's entry in the 1891 census records that his father was born in Nova Scotia and only his mother was from Newfoundland.

Keen to get any sense of a history of either name in Newfoundland to try to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks
Peter

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames