Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Information on Mary Han(d)cock of Kings Cove NL, married to
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 pm 

I am looking for any information on my great-great-grandmother, Mary Han(d)cock of Kings Cove NL, born 1833. Her father was James Handcock and her mother Ann (maiden name unknown). She may have siblings Henry, born 1840 and Martha born 1820. She married William Hone in Trinity on 20 Dec 1855. Any information would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Information on Mary Han(d)cock of Kings Cove NL, married
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Martha Hancock (1820-1889) married in 1838 to Henry Bulling (c1814-1898) of Hamworthy, Dorset. They immigrated to Boston on the Brig Magnet on 11 July 1854 with their four children. They settled in East Boston and had two additional children.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:51 pm 

Hi Edward:

I'm wondering if Martha is actually the sister of Mary and Henry for the reason that she was born in Boavista and not Kings Cove (though they are not far apart), as Mary and Henry were, and also that her birthdate is 13 years before Mary and 20 before Henry. There are a lot of similar names in the area and it seems that unfortunately that middle names were used sparingly, so I was not sure. Can you confirm that they were siblings then? Thanks for your help.

Joan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Martha's death certificate states she was the daughter of of James and Ann Hancock and that she was from Kings Cove. Her marriage record also states she was from Kings Cove.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am 

Excellent. Thanks Edward. Are you related to Martha Hancock then? If so, then that would mean we're related. Do you have any other info on the Handcocks further back then James and Ann? Would you have Ann's maiden name? Thanks.

Joan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

I suspect that the James and Ann Hancock who had Martha in 1820 were likely the parents of Henry, born in 1806, and Richard born in 1812. James had a brother Richard Hancock who died in 1816 and James administered his estate. Perhaps James married twice and had a son James Jr. from the first marriage and he also happened to marry a woman named Ann. My hunch is that she was "Nancy" Philpot of Keels.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:14 pm 

Yes, I saw that family with a number of children, most born in Bonavista. That seems to be where all the confusion comes in. Most of the children born in the early 1800's were born in Boavista, while Mary and Henry were born in 1833 and 1840 respectively. You could be right that it was a second marriage for James but with both wives named Ann, seems like a strange coincidence? If so, that is very confusing. I will check out Nancy Philpott of Keels. Thanks again.

Joan

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:40 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

It seems to me that until 1822, the clergyman did not provide the place of birth only the place of baptism which was Bonavista.

The death certificate of Joseph Hancock (1826-1914) states he was the son of James Hancock and Annie Way.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:54 pm 

Thanks Edward. I will check Annie Way on familysearch.org. Hope I find something.

Joan

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames