Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Norris family of Three Arms
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:52 am 

Hi' I'm looking for info on my grandfather, Patrick Norris of Three Arms. He died before 1921. He was married to Celia Rideout Penney.

Post subject: Re: Norris family of Three Arms
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:16 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

I am showing the following - but do your own due diligence, please:

Patrick Norris was born circa 1886, at Three Arms, son of James Norris Jr. and Mary Ann Dower.

Patrick Norris married Cecilia Rideout on May 12, 1913, at Three Arms.

Cecilia Rideout was born on July 15, 1891, and died on June 9, 1958. She was the daughter of Abraham Rideout and Anne Lee. Anne (Lee) Rideout died on March 7, 1927, age 68 yrs.

Following the death of her first husband, Patrick Norris, Cecilia (Rideout) Norris remarried to John Penney.

James Norris Jr. died at St. John's on December 6, 1924, age 73 yrs. He was the son of James Norris Sr., a native of Waterford, Ireland - who apparently resided at Petty Harbour before he established his household/business at Three Arms.

Mary Ann Dower was born on March 19, 1854, at Conche, Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland. She died on June 21, 1950, at Montreal.

I have additional information on this family.

Milt

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:10 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi there!

I too am looking for some information on the Norris family of Three Arms. I was very interested to hear of this family's connection to Petty Harbour, Milt.

Henry Bernard Pridham (Predham) of Petty Harbour married 21 Nov 1904 Ellen Norris. Henry's brother James, born 1869, married ellen's sister, Agnes Norris, no date for marriage.

James Pridham & Agnes Norris moved to Montreal where they had a family of 8.

Henry Bernard Pridham was killed on the SS Bonaventure in 1914. This was during the war and times were hard for Ellen Norris Pridham. Of the 5 children that she and Henry Pridham had, Ellen & Catherine went to the Belvedere Orphanage; Bernard was adopted by the Bentley family in St. John's; and (Mary) Agnes & William were adopted by their grandparents, James & Mary Ann Norris, Three Arms. They appear on the 1921 Census, where James Norris is listed as a General Dealer.

I believe young William Pridham later went to Montreal and lived for a time with his Uncle James Pridham.

Ellen Norris Pridham remarried to Francis Doherty and they moved to Saskatoon, Sask. Ellen & Francis had 2 children, Rita & Mary.

I would love to learn more about the siblings and parents of Ellen (Nellie) & Agnes Norris. If you have anything more, I'd really appreciate it.

Trishe

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:19 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Trishe:

My primary focus relative to Three Arms was on the 'Wells' and 'Strong' families, who emigrated from Ringwood, Hampshire, England to Back Harbour, Twillingate during the 1790's. During the 1840's, two brothers, John Burge Wells and William Wells, along with some of the Strong folks, relocated from Back Harbour and set up homesteads/business enterprises at Three Arms.

The limited knowledge I have on the Norris' was attained from my work on the Wells' and Strongs'. I do not have much information on the Predhams. I do have additional information on the Norris' of Three Arms.

It is interesting you mentioned Montreal as a destination for some of your folks. Mary Ann (Dower) Norris supposedly died at Montreal.

If you have any specific questions reference the Norris', Wells', or Strongs' of Three Arms, I will gladly attempt to provide answers to you.

Milt

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:06 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Trishe:

Have you seen these before ?

"Obituaries -
Sister Marie Therese Pridham
10/18/07

CUMBERLAND – Sister Marie Therese Pridham, 97, a Sister of Mercy, died Wednesday, October 10, at Mt. St. Rita Health Centre.

Born in Newfoundland, she was the daughter of the late Henry and Ellen (Norris) Pridham.

Sister Pridham entered the Sisters of Mercy on June 25, 1926 and professed her vows on December 27, 1928. She worked in the Diocese of Fall River for 61 years, many of those years teaching at St. Patrick school.

She was also a part-time librarian at Bishop Feehan High School in Attleboro, Mass. from 1978-1988.

Sister Pridham leaves a sister, Rita Currie, of Saskatoon, Canada. She was also the sister of the late Bernard and William Pridham, Mary Cahtering, Agnes St. George and Catherine Sullivan.

A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated on Monday at Mt. St. Rita Chapel; she was buried in Resurrection Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, donations to Mt. St. Rita Heath Centre are appreciated."

"PRIDHAM [Providence RI Journal, Saturday 13 Oct 2007] Pridham, Sister Marie Therese, 97, a Sister of Mercy and a retired educator, died Wednesday at Mt. St. Rita Health Centre, Cumberland. Born Ellen Pridham in Newfoundland, she was the daughter of the late Henry and Ellen (Norris) Pridham. Sister Marie Therese entered the Sisters of Mercy on June 25, 1926 and professed her vows on December 27, 1928. She ministered in the Diocese of Fall River for 61 years, teaching at St. Patrick School, Fall River, for many years. She was a part-time librarian at Bishop Feehan High School in Attleboro from 1978 to 1988 and retired to Our Lady of Mercy Convent in Attleboro in 1989. She later became a resident at Mt. St. Rita Health Centre. In addition to her Mercy Community, she leaves a sister, Rita Currie, of Saskatoon, Canada. She was the sister of the late Bernard and William Pridham, Mary Cahtering, Agnes St. George, and Catherine Sullivan. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday at 11 a.m. in Mt. St. Rita Chapel, 15 Sumner Brown Road, Cumberland. Burial will be in Resurrection Cemetery. Visitation will be Monday from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. with a Mercy Prayer Service at 10:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, donations to Mount St. Rita Health Centre would be deeply appreciated."

Milt

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:20 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Milt, thanks very much. I have the first obituary but not the second.

I guess my biggest problems lies with Ellen Norris herself. Was she the daughter of James Norris (1851 - 1924) & Mary Ann Dower (1854 - 1950)? They certainly adopted her children, Agnes & Willie.

There was another Ellen Norris born about 1883 who married William Jackman 1907, who someone stated was the daughter of James & Mary Ann.

Civil Marriage Registrations For Persons of Notre Dame Bay From 1905 - 1909
DATE/PLACE GROOM/BRIDE AGE STATUS OCCUP. RELIG. RESIDENCE MINISTER WITNESSES/RESEARCH NOTES

June 15 1907 William JACKMAN bach tailor RC St Johns John Lynch Bernard Norris, Bride Connolly Three Arms
Ellen M. NORRIS spin RC Three Arms (RC)
William Jackman was bc Aug 1880 St Johns - d May 9 1939 Montreal age 59 yrs (DAILY NEWS). Ellen was bc June 1883 Three Arms, d/o James Norris & Mary Ann Dower (ENL). Resided Mundy Pond Road St Johns.

I also have no dates or other information on Agnes Norris.

Thanks, Trishe

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:18 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Trishe:

John Norris, son of James Norris Jr. and Mary Ann Dower, married Mary Stapleton at Harbour Grace on January 1, 1906. Ellen Norris was a witness at this marriage ceremony. Was she a sister of John Norris ???

"Jan 1 1906 Harbour Grace John NORRIS 26 bach merchant RC Three Arms NDB James Joy, Ellen Norris
J. March Mary STAPLETON 22 spin RC Harbour Grace NOTES: He was likely the son of James & Mary Ann Norris, noted in father's obituary as residing 1924 at Conche."

Then we have the family of John Norris and Mary Stapleton at Conche in 1921. It is interesting that John and Mary named a daughter Ellen. Was this daughter named after John Norris' sister Ellen ???

"Conche Norris John Head m m 42 1879 Oct Three Arms
Conche Norris Mary Wife f m 38 1883 Mar Harbour Grace
Conche Norris Marie Dau f s 15 1906 Oct Harbour Grace
Conche Norris John Son m s 13 1908 Dec Harbour Grace
Conche Norris Margaret Dau f s 11 1910 May Conche
Conche Norris Ellen Dau f s 9 1912 May Harbour Grace
Conche Norris James Son m s 8 1913 Sep Conche
Conche Norris Agnes Dau f s 6 1915 Jul Conche
Conche Norris Kathleen Dau f s 4 1917 Jan Conche
Conche Norris Cecilia Dau f s 3 1918 Aug Conche
Conche Norris Frances Dau f s 1 1920 May St. John's
Conche Kenny Mary Dom f s 23 1898 Nov Conche
Conche Hartery Ellen Dom f s 20 1901 Oct Broad Cave"

It appears reasonable to assume Ellen Norris was a daughter of James Norris Jr. and Mary Ann Dower.

Milt

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:34 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Milt:

I used the same information to come to the same result. This now gives us 2 reasons to assume that Ellen (married Henry Pridham) was indded the daughter of James Norris & Mary Ann Dower.

You will have noted that John & Mary also had a daughter named "Agnes"...after his sister Agens married James Pridham?

I think the problem lies in all these added remarks, such as "it is likely that...".

I think I will likely have to do more research on the other Norris children to see what I can find.

The other children of James Norris & Catherine Dollard all married Petty Harbour spouses. This leads me to think that the ties between those left in Petty Harbour & those who removed to Three Arms stayed strong.

Thanks Milt. Hopefully we can find some more answers. Wish someone else out there could share what they know.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Hi Trishe:

From the information I have perused, Trishe, I would agree with you that the Norris' of Three Arms continued to have close association with the folks of Petty Harbour. The Norris' of Three Arms were merchants/business folks, and they travelled extensively along the northeast and east coast of NL. In fact, it would not surprise me to learn that some, if not most, of the children of James Norris Jr. and Mary Ann Dower were actually baptised at St. John's.....or Conche.

It seems the Batstones' of Quidi Vidi, St. John's were close associates of the Norris' of Petty Harbour. Some of the Batstones' ended up in Three Arms and area. John Charles Batstone Jr., born at Quidi Vidi, married Elizabeth Marion Wells, daughter of John Burge Wells, of Three Arms.

Also, you have probably seen this one - a record showing where Mary Ann (Dower) Norris sailed from St. John's to Boston in 1927. She left the name of her son, Bernard Norris of St. John's as a contact name, and she indicated her destination as the residence of her nephew, Mr. James Norris in South Boston.

"The S.S. NEWFOUNDLAND
Sailing From ST. John's on the 22nd OF Jan 1927
and Arriving in the Port of Boston on the 26th OF Jan 1927.

NORRIS, MARY 71 FEMALE MARRIED HOUSEWIFE YES NEWFOUNDLAND IRISH THREE ARMS SON BOSTON, MASS SELF YES 2 MONTHS, BOSTON,MASS NEPHEW 3 MONTHS GOOD 5'5" MED, GREY, BLUE NONE CONCHE
MR BERNARD NORRIS MR JAMES NORRIS
ST JOHN'S 11 TECKNER ST
SOUTH BOSTON"

Finally, take a look at Edward Norris as being another son of James Norris Jr.

Take care.

Milt

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:22 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Milt. I will add Bernard (who I forgot about) and Edward to my list of people to look for.

As well, I will try and find some information on James Norris, the nephew.

Cantret100 - hope you are able to follow this discussion. If you want a report on Patrick Norris' ancestry, I can send you what I have. Just email me off-line.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:42 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Trishe:

And finally, there was also a son, Ambrose Norris, who accompanied his mother, Mary Ann (Dower) Norris, from St. John's to Boston in 1927.

All the Best.

Milt

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:45 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Milt. Looks like I will have to hit Ancestry and see if I can find anything on the American side.

Keep in touch if you come across anything else that seems like it might connect. If you need any help on your families, just ask!

Centret100: I'm not sure if you have this but just in case:

Archived Obituary Announcements from the Evening Telegram and other local Papers
PENNEY, Cecelia Norris Daily News June 10, 1958
Passed peacefully away at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital, on June 9th, after a long illness, Cecelia Norris Penney, aged 66 years, leaving to mourn five sons, James Norris, of St. John's, Abe Norris, Gerard, Cyril and Joseph Penney, of Bell island, and three daughters, Sister Mary St. John, St. Clare's Mercy Hospital; Mrs. Charles Akers, Ashland, Kentucky, and Mrs. Peter D. Walsh, Plate Cove, B.B. Funeral on Wednesday following Requiem Mass at St. James Church, Bell Island. R.I.P.

Hope it helps!
Trishe

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser Newspaper, July 28, 1894 - "A large skiff belonging to Mr. James NORRIS, of Three Arms, while beating in Little Bay Bight yesterday, upset by a heavy squall of wind. There were two men and a boy in it at the time, but they all managed to get on the bottom of the skiff and remained there till rescued by Mr. FINLAY, and brought safely to shore. The names of the men were WEBBER and BOWERS, and the boy is a son of Mr. NORRIS."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:29 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser Newspaper, June 13, 1891 - "Death - At Three Arms, Green Bay, May 17th., Catherine, beloved wife of James NORRIS Sr., aged 76 years. The deceased was a native of Riverhead, St. John's. R.I.P."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Thanks Milt for those two items. Now I know where Catherine Dollard was from.

Haven't been on the site much lately as i have been researching elsewhere.

Trishe

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames