Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Kearney/Coady/Cody Connections...anyone??
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm 

Hello!

My 3x great grand father, Capt. James John Kearney (1826?-1869 Lost at sea) was born in Ireland (Waterford, I believe) around 1826. He settled in NF at an unknown date. Don't know if he came over with any family members. I have found a church record and newspaper record of his marriage to Mary A. Coady/Cody (1828-1906 - dau of Capt William Coady - b in NF d in Boston) on Feb 4, 1851 in St. Johns. They had eight children born in NF. Willliam 1855, Elizabeth Ann 1857, Catherine Mary 1858, John Peter (2x ggrandf), James John 1861, Michael Thomas 1864, Mary Joseph 1865, Margaret Ann 1868. A few years after James was lost at sea, Mary and most if not all of her children came to the Boston area.

I also believe that James was involved in a 'Snuff and Candle Manufacturer's' on Water Street. Listed in the 'St. Johns Hutchinson's Directory 1864/65'

Any insight on the Kearney's and Coady's in NF is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
K. Ward

Post subject: Re: Kearney/Coady/Cody Connections...anyone??
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 am 

Really interesting. I have a Captain John Kearney estimate 1815-1852. in my family history. He built ships with his brother Michael Kearney. They came from Ferryland. My relative went to Cape Breton in his ship the Michael Anthony Fleming, in December 1852 for a shipment of coal. I understand the ship never returned. His wife (I learned recently) was Mary Margaret? Field. She died soon after he did about 1856. They had married at the Basilica in 1842. They left two children Mary Kearney m William Jardine and John Kearney m Mary Callahan. These Kearneys were living in Ferryland in 1800 when a census was taken-and I think at least one generation before that. Michael Kearney and another brother Richard relocated to St. John's, Will see if I have any mention of your Kearney family in my records.

Take care

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames