Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Evans, Walsh and Furlong families of Argentia/Placentia
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 am 

Evans, Walsh, Furlong

Emma Evans b. 1853 Argentia, was the daughter of Thomas Evans and Lucy Roach (Roche?). Her name may have been Lucy Ellen. She
Emma married James Walsh about 1880. I'm very interested in James' lineage as I have no further information on his family yet and with only a "James Walsh from Argentia" to go on I'm not likely to get anywhere without some help.

Emma and James had perhaps 10 children in all, though I know of 6 for sure:

Lucy b. 1882
Catherine b. 1886
Vincent b. 1889
Monica b. abt 1890
Leo b. 1892
Angela b. 1894

The family must have been close to the Dwyers as they appear as sponsors for baptisms in a couple cases.

It seems Lucy was married to John Canning in 1908 and I know of no children from this marriage. At some point in the future Lucy marries William Furlong and they have 1 daughter, Mary Furlong, b. 1916 Placentia. At some point Mary winds up in the care of her grandmother Emma and sure enough in the 1921 census of Jerseyside Mary is there, listed as the Granddaughter of Emma and William and Lucy are nowwhere to be found. Family legend has it that William was killed in some sort of accident prior to Marys birth and Lucy died delivering her.

The family seems to have remained in the Argentia/Placentia area from at least 1850 through the mid 1920's when Emma, Leo and Vincent would come the U.S. settling in Staten Island New York, later moving to Seattle after Emma died. Some of the girls came to NY also.

I'd appreciate any tips or connections you Placentia area experts might be able to provide. Likewise let me know if you see any connections I might be able to provide more infomration on.

Thanks!
Paul

Post subject: Re: Evans, Walsh and Furlong families of Argentia/Placentia
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:12 pm 

Here's the family from the Red Island Web Site. I lists 9 children.

http://www.redislandnf.com/argweb/mar/m105102.html

There is only one James Walsh born in Argentia that would fit the right age in the parish records. James born 1845 son of Francis Walsh and Catherine Hill.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames