Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Doyle-Curtis
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm 

Hi there!

I'm looking for information on my Grandparents, Edward Francis Doyle b. 1897 and Annie Curtis (Doyle) b. 1900. The 1935 and 1945 census show them living on New Gower Street.

They had a large family:

Kathleen. b. 1922(approx). Married Paul Wakeham
Thomas
Edward. b. 1924
John (Jack). b. 1926
James Francis b. 1928. Married Cludette
Clarence. b. 1931
Gerald. b. 1932
Cyril. b 1940. (Drowned in Second Pond, Goulds..young)
Kevin. b. 1935. Married Margaret Murphy of Kilbride
There was also another son, Paul, who died young, who I have no information on.

My Grandfather, Edward, was known as Ted and he owned a barbershop on New Gower Street. He smoked either a pipe, or cigars.
The family lived on New Gower Street until there was a fire...they then moved to Springdale Street.

My Grandmother, Annie, was from somewhere along the Southern Shore.

i am searching for any information regarding Ted and Annie. I have no info except for the years of their births.

There is a family story which states that an Edward and his brother James Francis came from Ireland where their family were farmers. They landed in Petty Harbour and then went on to the Harbour Grace area to learn to become Coopers. They later split up...with James remaining in Harbour Grace area and Edward heading to St. John's. I do not believe that Edward is my Grandfather, I believe he would be either my grandfather's father or uncle.

Thank you in advance for any information you can supply.

Post subject: Re: Doyle-Curtis I have some information on Edward and An
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:57 pm 

J Doyle Williams wrote:
Hi there!

I'm looking for information on my Grandparents, Edward Francis Doyle b. 1897 and Annie Curtis (Doyle) b. 1900. The 1935 and 1945 census show them living on New Gower Street.

They had a large family:

Kathleen. b. 1922(approx). Married Paul Wakeham
Thomas
Edward. b. 1924
John (Jack). b. 1926
James Francis b. 1928. Married Cludette
Clarence. b. 1931
Gerald. b. 1932
Cyril. b 1940. (Drowned in Second Pond, Goulds..young)
Kevin. b. 1935. Married Margaret Murphy of Kilbride
There was also another son, Paul, who died young, who I have no information on.

My Grandfather, Edward, was known as Ted and he owned a barbershop on New Gower Street. He smoked either a pipe, or cigars.
The family lived on New Gower Street until there was a fire...they then moved to Springdale Street.

My Grandmother, Annie, was from somewhere along the Southern Shore.

i am searching for any information regarding Ted and Annie. I have no info except for the years of their births.

There is a family story which states that an Edward and his brother James Francis came from Ireland where their family were farmers. They landed in Petty Harbour and then went on to the Harbour Grace area to learn to become Coopers. They later split up...with James remaining in Harbour Grace area and Edward heading to St. John's. I do not believe that Edward is my Grandfather, I believe he would be either my grandfather's father or uncle.

Thank you in advance for any information you can supply.

Post subject: Re: Doyle-Curtis
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm 

Hi there,
The reason I know so much is because Edward and Annie are my grandparents
also, their son Jack or John is my father.
nickjared

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi There:

I'm interested in finding out if Edward Doyle is indeed related to the Petty Harbour Doyle's as well. My tree has connections to both the Doyles and the Murphys (of Kilbride, Goulds and Petty Harbour). If you are interested, perhaps we could share our information and see where we end up.

Trishe

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 am 

Hi nickjared!

If they're your grandparents...Then you're my cousin! ( Anne, Maria, John or Pam right?)
I'm Kevin's daughter, Judy, and I remember uncle Jack.

What info do you have regarding Ted and Annie?

I'm looking for anything about them....where were they from?
Who were their parents? Where did they marry?

Any information you have about them will be helpful and would be greatly appreciated. You can post here or you can reach me at muskokafraggle@yahoo.ca.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Judy

nickjared wrote:
Hi there,
The reason I know so much is because Edward and Annie are my grandparents
also, their son Jack or John is my father.
nickjared

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:37 am 

Hi Trishe!

I've also emailed you but think it might be best to put the info here so all can see.

Margaret Murphy was my Mother, she was a Murphy from Kilbride.
She had two siblings, Thomas and Alice.
Thomas never married and Alice married Paul Connolly.

Their father was William J. Murphy
(know as either William Murphy Sr., or Uncle Will). They lived on Old Petty Harbour Road, in Kilbride.
He had brothers named Peter, Henry and Michael. I don't know if there were sisters.
His parents were John and Maryann.
I think that John must have died fairly young because I also think there was a second marriage involved and another son. ( haven't got the details straight on that yet...working on it)

My Mother's Mother was Bridget Sinnott, originally from Old Bay Bulls Rd, also in Kilbride.

If you are researching the Murphys from Kilbride you no doubt have quite a few Sinnotts and Ryans mixed in there too. I'm pretty much related to most of the originating families in Kilbride...but there are several different Murphy families in Kilbride....which family are you researching?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Judy

Trishe wrote:
Hi There:

I'm interested in finding out if Edward Doyle is indeed related to the Petty Harbour Doyle's as well. My tree has connections to both the Doyles and the Murphys (of Kilbride, Goulds and Petty Harbour). If you are interested, perhaps we could share our information and see where we end up.

Trishe

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:28 pm 

Trishe...

I've just read the thread on the Murphy's, Brennans, Cavanaughs, Ryans and Tobins from Kilbride. I'm absolutely sure my Grandfather is one of those Murphys..I just don't know where he fits in. He was William J. Murphy, bFeb14,1897, dFeb01,1973. I recognize some of the names in the other thread, especially Anne Brennan...and I remeber being told a convoluted family story about it by my Grandfather's niece, Kay (Catherine Murphy b 1920 d2003). I'm not 100% sure....but I think there was a death and a second marriage involved. I THINK.

I have a cousin (Kay Murphy's daughter) who I am going to email to ask exactly how Anne Brennan fits into my Murphy Line...I'll get back to you.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Judy:

How nice to hear from you. I only go back four generations from your mother, Margaret Ann Murphy, and it is just happenstance that I have them at all. My husband's mother was Annie Pridham from Petty Harbour and when I started to work on her tree, I quickly found that you could not ignore anyone as they all seemed to connect in one way or the other. Things have snowballed in this quest and I am always happy to share. It kind of returns all the assistance I have been given over the past few years.

I've just read your post on-line and I see we have a problem right from the start. Here's what I have on your Murphys:

William J. Murphy (4 Feb 1897 - 1 Feb 1973), s/o Henry Murphy & Bridget Ryan. Henry & Bridget also had the following children:
Catherine, b 3 Sep 1884
Thomas (1885 - 1935) married (1) 1916 Julie Dooling; married (2) 1932 Anne Brennan (1895 - 1963).
James (1889 - 1926) married Anne Brennan (1895 - 1963) same person as above
Mary (1891 - 1972)
Catherine (1898 - 1949)

Henry Murphy, b1856, was the s/o James Murphy (1795 - 1881) & Catherine Caulfield. James & Catherine had 9 children (Margaret, Patrick, John, Michael, Catherine, Catherine, Henry, Anastasia & William). James Murphy had previously been married to Elizabeth Stockman (1807 - 1841) and they had 5 children: Mary Anne, Anne, Johanna, Peter & James.

Catherine Caulfield had previously been married to a Mullins.

James Murphy was born in Ireland. Elizabeth Stockman was born in Petty Harbour, d/o William Stockman & Anne Matthews. She is my initial connection to the family.

There is an interesting mix of names when you get into researching this line - Murphy, Sinnott, Ryan, Tobin, Mullins, etc.

Let's see if we can work out where the differences came from on William J. Murphy's parentage.

Trishe

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:37 pm 

Hello Judy,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am married to a great grandson of James and Mary Kavanaugh. They were Ted's (barber)parents. I made contact with A. Dalton a few weeks ago and we have confirmed the connection. I am trying to find information further back on the Doyle side. I have also recently connected with a Kavanagh descendant and confirmed that connection. My husband's grandmother was an older sister of Ted's who moved to Cape Breton by 1918. Let me know if you still need information or have found what you were looking for since I see your post was from 2012.
Regards,
Laura Desveaux

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:01 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Hi Laura:

Welcome to the discussion, as old as it may seem to be.

I'm not sure about Judy but I do not have any sisters for Ted. I only have his two younger brothers, James & John and no follow-up on either on them. So, if you are interested in sharing, I'd love to hear from you, especially since you have connections to Cape Breton! What part? Obviously, I live in Cape Breton - Sydney - and have Doyle's in my own tree but they would not be connected to your husband's. Interesting though.

Hope to hear from you.

Trishe

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames