Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: looking for Lacey, Corcoran, O'Rourke
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:58 pm 

My grandfather was Roland S. Lacey RNR#77, marr Louisa Corcoran of Riverhead - Rolands parents we Wm Chas. Lacey b.Mar 24 1843 Purbecks Cove died ? M. Lavinia ? Oct 17,1837 canot find any infro on her - Wm Chas marr 2nd wife Keziah Jacobs Aug 9/1906 - so Lavinia dies previous? Wm.Chas parents Philip Lacey B abt 1802 & Mary Durdle B Sept 1815 - Philips father also Philip Lacey - no infro and possible mother Ellen( ?) Any further infro apreciated
Also Louisa Corcoran parents were John Corcoran of Riverhead (supposedly drowned at sea fishing?) and mother Mary O'Rourke or Rourke? Mall Bay - no further infro on them
any help wud be apreciated

Post subject: Re: looking for Lacey, Corcoran, O'Rourke
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:26 pm 

My grandfather was William Corcoran, his mother was Mary O'Rourke and I know his father drowned, I had not found his name, but think it was John. William's first born son was named John. They lived in Coote's Pond near Riverhead, St Mary's Bay

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm 

Tks for your infro - sounds like that is my grandmother's brother - referred to as Uncle Billy by my grandmother's family - Uncle Billy visited my grandmother, Louisa, where she lived in St. Johns - They also had brothers Peter, Patrick & Philip who immigrated to New York city area in the 1920's - Their father was John but not sure of date of drowning at sea. Louisa's husband Roland Stephen Lacey was a member of the Blue Putees #77 - his medals and story are at the Rooms in St. John's - I live in Ontario and hope to go to see his display next year. William was married twice - lst to Charlotte Harnett, then Mary (May) power - I remember meeting May at my grandmother Louisa's house when she visited. I know there were many children from both marriages - Do you have any infro on them? I have some if you want me to give you them let me know. Regards,

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:09 pm 

Sounds like we are a match, my grandfather was called Mr Billy. I think it was because he was a well respected carpenter, builder, with his own saw mill. My grandmother was called Nanny May. My mom, Charlotte (Lottie) born Oct 1919, was the first of the second marriage-Jan 1919, Peter was born 1921 and then Willy, drowned age 13. Everyone is deceased, Peter the last, died a few years ago in Labrador City
First marriage was to Charlotte Harnett of Lamaline. Story I heard was they returned to Riverhead when his father died. I will have to find my book with all the names I have. Just moved and still packed somewhere.
I don't know the connection to Lamaline but I think my grandfather built or helped build the church there.
John was the eldest, Anne, Mary, Elizabeth(Bet), Patrick-baby when Charlotte died as a result of a fall.
Check 1921 census for Coote's Pond, St Mary's Bay for more. Buried in Riverhead Cemetery, but dates are wrong for grandparents. They celebrated their 60th anniversary Jan 1979, he died shortly after and then her a few months later.
I know his one brother became a priest in the States, the other worked on the rairoad in Boston area?
I know records are hard to find because of parish fire there.

I grew up in London Ontario and now live near Ottawa. What part are you in?
My mom joined her brother Pat, in London in 1949. He returned to Nfld after she died in 1978. Pete, settled in Labrador and served in WWII. Several of John''s descendants moved to Toronto in the 60's, but many stayed in Coote's Pond. John lived right next door to his father. Aunt Bet's family was St John's, same as Mary's. Anne, I think, was Pt. Le Haye?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 pm 

Tks for infro - wud be interested in names when you have them - Louisa & Roland Lacey had following children: Wm. John 1922-2001,Cyril 1923-1966,Mary G. 1925-2013,Laurence S. 1927-2001,Leo 1926-1934,Ronald G. Sr. 1929-2012,Kevin 1931-1933 -Roland dies 1930 electrocuted by streetcar wires - was driver - only living of that group Wm J. Sr's wife - Agnes Gertrude (Walsh) Lacey B. 1924 Hr. Grace - now 92 living New Bedford, Mass. The source of much of my infro- Also Louisa Brothers: Patrick B. 1888 Lived Quincey Mass - Dau Rita & Son Clefton J. who became priest. wife Elizabeth - Peter B 1884 (wife Bridget - Irish girl) No kids - worked at railway- Philip B 1899 - Never married - lived Brooklyn, NY - Michael B. 1890 also married Irish girl, name unknown. Also I was told Louisa's mother Mary O'Rourke, but I have copy of her baptism & birth from Parish of the Assumption St. Mary's and says Mary Rourke?
Found an article in old Decks Awash magazine that says in May 1943 a 3-room schoolhouse was construsted by Edward Bonia & William Corcoran at St. Mary's Bay. Would like to know of any other places - churches he helped build. I am daughter of Louisa's son Ronald - my name is Patricia Lacey (Pat) and now live in Belleville Ont. Retired and downsized! Aunt Bet (Elizabeth) was my godmother.
In 1976 Louisa's daughter, Mary, took her to visit her brother Patrick & his wife Elizabeth whom she had not seen in over 50 years - She said it was like they were never apart. In 1965 Louisa's son Laurence & family visited Uncle Billy & Aunt May - I have a pic of that.
Lastly, I think Mary O'Rourke was born 1862 and died 1946?? Do you know if this is right?
Awaiting any more infro you have - tks again

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:37 pm 

Hope move is going well for you - just wanted to ask if you know did Wm & Charlotte also have children named Bridget Born abt 1914, Gladys born abt 1905-6, Gabriel Born abt 1908, and Sylvia and Celeste born abt 1911 - twins? I have twins in my family - also was your mom married to Garland Foster Reid? B 1927 Windsor Ont & died 18 Sept 1975 London, Ont.?
and if you have a brother? That is infro I got from my aunt - but she is 92 so her memory\is not the best at times - she thought that some of Wm & Charlotte's children were adopted after Charlotte died? Did find in 1921 census that a Monica Corcoran was adopted by John & Alice Davis. Also did Bridget go to U.S when she was 21? Know I have alot of questions but when you get time and come across your book, I would appreciate if you know any of this information - I cannot find anything about Louisa's mom and dad and it's so frustrating. Those records are gone or lost in many cases.
Tks again for all the infro you gave me.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:25 am 

Children I have found for my grandfather and Charlotte: Elizabeth 1909 Allen Is.-1913 Riverhead, John Francis 1910 Allen Is-1970 Riverhead, Mary Charlotte 1911 married Tom Connors?, Ann Louise 1912 married James Kielly, Monica Apr 1914? married Roger Barron, Elizabeth (Aunt Bet)1914 married Jack O'Dwyer and Patrick 1916-2009
Correct info on my dad, they married in 1949, my brother Garland Patrick 1950 and myself 1952
Still not sure of William's father, I have found info pointing to Patrick not John but have not found actual proof, his mother died 1946

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hi Laverne - Am going to Newfoundland in Aug and wondered if you knew if any descendants
of your grandfather, Billy Corcoran & my grandmother, Louisa Corcoran are living in Coots pond now?? May get to go out that way and look in graveyard for headstones - do you know where it is at? tks for any infro

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames