Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Natives family's in Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:14 pm 

Can anyone tell me how you can find info on natives in Newfoundland? I have heard that my great grandmother was native but is unable to confirm this info. She was about 1866. I can be reached at shawnpower76@hotmail.com

thanks

Post subject: Re: Natives family's in Newfoundland
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 pm 

Hi Shawn
I'm doing the same thing right now and you have to contact the Indigenous Affairs in Ottawa for their genealogy branch. They will send you an application and if you don't know what info to put on the application you can just send them a written letter with all the information that you have on the person that you want searched along with your signature giving them permission to do the search. I don't know if there is a fee because the lady I spoke with never mentioned payment and the application which is only one sheet did not contain any information on payment or fees. I'm told that my great great grandmother was native but can't find a birth certificate for her and I was told that she took a Christian name so if she was native I don't even know what her name was before she took the Christian name. Anyway good luck with your search. I believed the number that I called was 1-800-567-9604 but not sure because I was given about 6 different numbers and tried 3 before I was put to the correct department.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames