Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Looking for the birth mother of my 1st cousin Gerald Foster.
 Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 pm 

I am helping my Cousin Gerry Foster to find his birth mother. Gerry and myself has been looking for years now. He does not use a computer ,but his wife does. I'm Maud burton-dye & I live in Sudbury, ON. My mom was Effie Foster-Burton. She was born in Rattling Brook. Her Parents were Roland Israel & Jessie {Noble} Foster. They lived in Botwood for many years. After mom died in 1952 at age 29,{ my Grandmother Foster died when all of their children were very young} our family lost track of mom's family. I located all of them {4 brothers & an adopted brother},some in NL & some in Ontario. Mom's oldest brother Sterling & wife Rena lived in Barrie , ON. They had an adopted Son Gerry & a son Bruce. When I met Gerry for the 1st time, I told aunt Rena "There's more Foster Blood in Gerry than Bruce. Gerry has the Foster Olive skin {as do I }.No one in the Family knew of Gerry's Bio-parents except for the ones involved. A few years ago I got an e-mail from an uncle in the states , telling me Gerry was Uncle Sidney's son. Both of Gerry's adopted parents had died by then, plus his Bio-dad. Uncle Sid's wife is now deceased as well. Gerry has four half-Brothers & a half-sister. Uncle Sterling & Aunt Rena Plus Uncle Sid & Aunt Violet also My Grandfather Roland & my Step-Grandmother Mary { Belbin } Foster, moved to Corner Brook to live. Gerry's mom was only 16 when she had Gerald. Gerry was born on Jan.1st 1953.He was adopted the day He was born at the Hospital. Gerry & his wife Jessie lives in Point Leamington and comes to their cottage in ONT. in the Summer. Gerry is anxious to find anyone from his Bio-mom's family. My e-mail address is maud.burton_dye@persona.ca if anyone wishes to contact me of for more info from Gerry. Thanks & God Bless !! P.S Uncle Sterling & Aunt Rena lived on Elizabeth St. one of their neighbours was Bill & Flossie Young {this info was given me by My aunt Margaret {Howard } Foster, they used to visit Corner Brook.

Post subject: Re: Looking for the birth mother of my 1st cousin Gerald Fos
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 pm 

I would suggest a DNA test. Then upload the results to gedmatch.com and join my Facebook group for people who have joined gedmatch. We have over 400 members, sure to be a few matches to your cousin. There are several companies that are popular, ancestry.ca/dna, 23andme.com and my favourite, familytreedna.com. It takes a week or two to get the testing kit, just a cheek swab that you return to them and in 6-8 weeks you get your results. Then you can upload to gedmatch where you can compare with people from all the sites, not just the one you use. There is also a facebook group called Newfoundland Labrador Adoptees who are very helpful. If your cousins goes this route, let me know when he has uploaded his info to gedmatch (instructions are on the main page and quite easy) and I will send an invitation to join my group. You can email me at newnler61@gmail.com when it's done.
Linda Stent-Campbell
St. John's, NL

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames