Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Butt Family of Gull Island
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:52 pm 

Hello,

I'm looking for information about Joseph Butt (born about 1872) who lived in Gull Island. He was married to Alice Flynn (born about 1880) and I believe they had 4 children: Henry, Nellie, Julia and John. I believe Joseph died in 1912 and Alice continued to live in Gull Island then moved to Northern Bay.

Their son John was my great grandfather and he moved to New Waterford, Nova Scotia where he changed his name to Butts and married Annabelle Jefferson.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Butt Family of Gull Island
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:27 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

John Butt (c1787-1857) married Mary Layman on 2 January 1823. They had at least five children: Joseph, Johanna, John, William, and Elizabeth. The family lived at Lambert's Folly in Gull Island.

Joseph Butt (1826-?) married Ellen Oliver on 31 January 1853. They had at least six children: Bridget, Mary, Agnes, Ellen, Henry, and Joseph. Henry Butt moved to Halifax and married Sarah McGlynn on 17 January 1898.

Joseph Butt (1870-?) married Alice Flynn of Bay de Verde on 25 November 1900. His sister Mary Butt (1857-1928) also married at Bay de Verde to Richard Fleming on 27 November 1882.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:46 pm 

Hi Edward,

Wow, thanks for the great info!!

Is Lambert's Folly a neighbourhood in Gull Island? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything. Any idea whether John Butt (c1787) was the first of his family to come to Newfoundland?

Thanks again!
Paula

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

In the mid-1800s the Lambert family left Gull Island so "Lambert's Folly" became "the Folly" and at present the Olivers, Laymans, and Johnsons reside there. The "Ridge" was formerly called "the Tilts" and the Olivers, Delaneys, Johnsons live there. Gull Island Hill is home to the Doyles, Olivers, and McCanns.

The surname "Butt" is an ancient Newfoundland surname. I suspect John Butt moved to Gull Island from Western Bay, Salmon Cove, or Blackhead when he married Mary Layman. More than likely her father Gregory gave them a bit of land his land.

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames