Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames

Post subject: Scurry/Scully
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:18 pm 

Doing research on my Scurry/Scully ancestors..I'm looking to connect with anyone that may have these names in their family,would especially like to connect with Pat Angel..I was told he has the Scurry name in his ancestry..thanks so much for any replies.

Dee Dee Reid (Scurry)

Post subject: Re: Scurry/Scully
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 pm 

The Scully information in our family is rather scarce, but Judith Scully married William Bowman November 21, 1827. Judith's unmarried sister, Johanna died at Carbonear in 1892. Her death record states she was born in Ireland. Edward Scully was living at the same location as Johanna in the early 1820's. Hope some of that may be helpful. Judith Scully Bowman was my great-great grandmother.
PB

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:24 am 

Thank you Judith,

I'll have to do some checking to see if theres a connection :D

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:27 pm 

Hello Dee Dee:

Thank you for starting this posting about the Scurry name. It’s a great idea!

Michael Scurry and Johana Boland are also my great-great-grandparents. There is a lot of information about the Scurry and Boland names, so just to keep this short, here is a “brief” summary of the key points that I have concluded. Comments, questions and/or corrections are always welcome. Except, where noted, all records can be found in the Basilica Parish Records.

1). Like so many NL family names, the spelling for Scurry and Scully, also for Boland/Bolan seem to be interchangeable, so I will use Scurry and Boland to avoid repetition.

2). I have not yet identified the parents of Michael Scurry nor Johanna Boland’s, despite analyzing the many marriage/baptisms records in St. John’s and Carbonear for both families There are several different families that may be related but I have not proven any connection. Michael Scully baptized 1828 November, son of James Scully and Catherine Ryan is the best candidate. He would only be age 15 at the time of their wedding in 1843, but this could a late baptism? More work to be done here and if you have info that would be great.

3). Michael Scurry and Johana Boland were married 1843 April 30. There is nothing in their marriage record to suggest they were from another parish, which was a common practice at the time. I found only three baptisms for them:

Mary (Ann) (b) 1844 September 22; married Richard Angel 1870 November 26. They are my great grandparents and they had 6 children.

John (b) 1846 June 01; I believe he married Ellen Barron/Barnes 1871 October 25 and they had 9 children.

David (b) 1848 May 04. I did not find any other information on David, which suggests he died young, moved away or his records are missing??

4).The reason they only had 3 children is because Michael died early and Johana re-married Lawrence Delahunty (1853 February 17). It was likely a second marriage for Lawrence also. They had at least 4 children. Johana and Lawrence are buried in Mt. Carmel cemetery and their headstones are easy to find and fairly easy to decipher. Johana died 1898 September 21 aged 75.

5). “Along the way” a friend gave me a family tree for the “Descendants of Mary Murray” who married John Scurry in 1909. I have not analyzed this but it seems that this John Scurry (b 1886 August 26) was the son of Patrick Scully and Elizabeth Aspell and is possibly descended from the 1832 May 07 marriage in Harbour Grace Parish between Thomas Scully and Mary Lyons. My friend is researching the Lyons family. Not for certain about tracing the path back to 1832 but if you want a copy of the chart send me an e-mail and I will forward it to you. (pangel99@icloud.com)

Hope this is not too much info and always willing to share more and compare notes.

Pat

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 pm 

Hi Dee Dee;

I realize that I was mistaken in my last posting when I suggested 1886 John Scurry was the son of Thomas Scurry and Elizabeth Aspell. Sorry about that. We do share a common ancestry.

Your e mail questions have promoted me to review my notes and as a result they are now in a better shape than before. Thanks for that!

You asked “have you verified that Michael Scurry and Johanna Boland were indeed John Scurry's (June 1-1846) parents?”

The short answer is yes and the Delahunty name is the clue. There is a note in our family files that says David Delahunty was the cousin of my grandfather (my father’s father). Here is what I discovered while trying to prove the connection. There is a lot more detail behind this but I will try to keep it short.

1853 February; Johanna Scurry married Lawrence Delahunty and they had at least 4 children (David, Margaret, Thomas and Bridget Delahunty). However, the baptism record for all four children lists the mother’s name as Johana Boland, not Scurry. Same thing when David was married in 1895. His mother was Johana Boland. Johana’s married name was listed on her marriage record and her maiden name on the baptisms records. This proves the Delahunty connection to my grandfather as Johana Boland married Michael Scurry and then Lawrence Delahunty. Her daughter Mary Ann born 1844/09/22 married Richard Angel; they are my grandfather’s parents. The Delahunty children were his step-cousins.

But there were other John and Mary Scurry at the same time. For example, Michael Scurry and Ellen Ryan also had children named John (1845) and Mary (1842). And a John Scully married Jane Mealey (1857 May) and a Mary Scully married Robert Christopher (1857 Nov). There are clues to suggest this last John and Mary were siblings, but not the Scurry children of Michael and Johana, who were born before Michael died and Johanna remarried Delahunty.

So how do we know that Johana’s son John Scurry married Ellen Barron? Again, the Delahunty name is the clue.

John Scurry and Ellen Barron married 1871 October 25 and they had at least 11 children baptized . John’s step-siblings Margaret, David and Ellen Delahunty were god parents at three of those baptisms. Sarah Angel, daughter of Richard Angel and Mary Ann (John’s sister) also was a god parent. Thomas Delahunty was a god parent at a baptism for a child of Richard Angel and Mary Ann (his step-sister). Finally, Margaret and Ellen Delahunty were god parents at baptisms for two children of Richard Angel’s sister, Jane Angel (m) William Walsh.

I believe this shows there was a strong family unit here. Johana Boland/Scurry/Delahunty was the matriarch of a family of Scurry and Delahunty children who seemed to have been very close. And that may provide a clue to your second question, which is.

“John Scurry’s obit stated that he left to mourn 2 brothers and 2 sisters; …... if Michael Scurry and Johanna Boland are his parents would her children from her 2nd marriage be in John's obit (no names were given)”.

Who knows for certain but it seems very likely, as the family was obviously close. We have baptism records for three Scurry children and four Delahunty children. It seems that David Scurry died young, as his name does not appear again, except that Mary Ann used the name David for her first child with Lawrence. Bridget Delahunty’s name does not appear again, so perhaps she died young and that would leave John Scurry with two brothers and two sisters in 1906.

Dee Dee, were could I find a copy of his obit; or could you send it to me?

I have more information about the Scurry & Delahunty families and some ideas are forming that may help you with proving the Irish Connection that you mentioned. That will be for another day.

Any comments, questions or corrections are always welcome. After all, I’ve been known to make mistakes!!

Pat

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

Hello again Pat,
Thanks for all this info..some things are falling into place now..I can send you a copy of the obit and John's death cert. if you would like,do you have anything on a Nicholas Scurry married to Julia Mahoney,I'm assuming he's part of the family somewhere along the line.If you have info that may help in proving the Irish connection that would be so awesome!...I'll search up that obit and death cert. and send it to you soon.

Cheers
Dee Dee

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Buried at Belvedere Cemetery, St. John’s

Mary Ann Scully, 20 December 1852, aged 11 years

Bridget Delahunty, 5 October 1860, aged 8 months

Lawrence Delahunty, 13 February 1876, aged 65 years, Lazy Bank,
member of the Star of the Sea Society

Married at Newton, Massachusetts, 21 October 1880, St. Mary’s Church
JEREMIAH Cogan, aged 28 years, resident of Boston, teamster
Born in Ireland, son of John & Margaret Cogan
ELLEN SCULLY, aged 26 years, resident of Newton
Born at St. John’s, NF, daughter of Thomas & Ellen Scully
1st marriage for both

Married at Blackstone, Massachusetts, 10 November 1890, St. Paul’s Church
JAMES A. SCULLY, aged 23 years, resident of Blackstone, rubber boot maker
Born in Newfoundland, son of Michael Scully & Ellen Murphy
ELIZABETH COLE, aged 24 years, resident of Blackstone, dressmaker
Born in Newfoundland, daughter of Michael Cole & Margaret Keefe
1st marriage for both

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:17 am 

Thanks so much Edward for this information :)

Dee Dee

Board index » Genealogy » Surnames